bulls in October

ID_hunter27

ive hunted elk in November but only once in October before but i was just wondering what anyone else has to say about it there is always something to learn in this world when it comes to hunting

thanks

It seems to me that after the rut winds down a bit a lot of the bulls head for the dark timber and out of the way places to regain some energy from the rut. I would concentrate my efforts on steep and dark timbered areas with good feed and water close by. I don't think they want to move around a whole lot. Then again I am definitely not an expert by any means. I'd like to hear what the more experienced elk guys have to say. You are right about there always being something to learn about hunting. I wish I knew a fraction of what some of the guys on here know. A lot of good info and great hunters around the site.

All good pointers MUZZ, and those are effective strategies. However, I hunt idaho bulls in october as well and here are a few things I have learned in areas I hunt. First and foremost, The rut aint over quite yet! Those big bulls that are not worn out yet are still hangin out with late cycle cows. They are not bugling as much, if at all. But they will still answer a challenge if it comes from close up. Alot of people will scoff at this, but it is the truth, I have seen it. Take your cow call with you and plan on getting up close to em. Find a group of cows and odds are a bull is still close by. If not keep moving and looking. Fresh rubs are a sure sign of an active bull.
Go with MUZZys advice as well, but just keep this in the back of your mind.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom