Bura - Coues Hunting Moral Dilemma

stanley

Very Active Member
I know that the bible says to 'not covet thy neighbor's possessions....', but you wouldn't believe the jealousy I am feeling as I sit here in my office & watch the sun rising over the mountains to the east!

All I can think about is that at this very moment, Bura is sitting on some mountain, scanning the surrounding hillsides for his buck!!!! For all I know, he has just downed his trophy! I can't wait for the stories on Monday!

Oh well, back to work now....

S.

:)

I got a call at 5:45am...it was Allen. He was at his spot...sitting in his truck waiting for another 10 minutes before he began his walk to "THE" spot, to set up and start glassing. He was tired...he didn't sleep but a wink or two last night. But he was pumped on the phone. He wished I was there with him to share in the fun...I wished I was there also! It's now 8:30...the sun has risen and I can imagine how he is going about glassing "HIS" hill...I wonder if the BUCK is there. We went over the final details of his approach last night...this is a long morning. He left the phone in the truck...probably a good thing... I want to call and see whats happening. I can't focus on work...I want to be there with him. He's not only my hunting partner...but he's also my best friend (brother) and I know this deer...this couse...comletes his Deer Slam...and is a child hood dream of his come true! To chase coues deer like his idol, the late Jack O'Conner! I know he seeing the deer now...they've probably began to bed down...under the thicket of mesquites as we've seen them do in the past. I can see him making his stalk...maybe he's doing it right now...as I write this! I hope so...or maybe he's got one in his scope...ready to pull the...
maybe...just maybe...

He will call me as soon as he gets one. I'll let everyone know as soon as I get an update!

Stanley...I'm thinking the same things you are! It's neat how people can share in the excitement for one of our fellow "hunting brothers" thru this modern day convience of internet and especialyl here on MM! We'll keep praying to the Hunting and COues Gods and wish Allen the best of skill...not luck! :)

I'll let you all know...I'll be down there tomorrow...either way!

Scott G...

It's 10:40 and Allen just called. He saw the 2 big bucks we had seen before. The one big one with mass and another big buck was with him. 4 bucks in all, he bedded them and 2 yahoo hunters can plodding up the hill he was glassing. Apparently they waited in their truck for 45 minutes before ligth and kept the truck running. They went trudging up the hill and Allen watched his 100+ buck slip away over the hill before the other hunters ever knew any deer were there. This is a good thing...cause hopefully they won't be back...but I hope the 100+ will be back! If not, then we'll have to go in after him. I'm leaving this evening to meet up with Allen...we'll bring him home!

Scott G...

Man, Scott you've got me pumped!! I won't be able to hear what happened because I'm leaving for Tucson right now. I am going to make a prediction though. He'll kill him.

Scott

This is so cool, it's almost like play by play action! I am soo jealous right now too. I wish I could get out, I promised my partner I would help him find the 170 class desert muley we have seen for the past two years, his girlfriend is hunting it right now. Only prolem is my son has tonsil sugery yesterday and the wife said I'm grounded till next weekend or i can't go to wisconsin for Deer on the 22nd.
My prediction is also that Allen will kill a buck he's go too much time and study into this area to not get a crack at one. Unless he mind screws himself at the moment of truth, but I don't think that will happen. He'll score, But the question is what will the score be?
Bugler

Hey PW if you guys bag a buck tomorrow call me at work 505-538-7278 so I can give the play by play. The suspense is killing me. If anyone deserves a good couesy it's Allen. He has put alot of time in. Let us know.

Later

Last I spoke with him (lunch time) he's going to take a nap and get back there and glass for the evening...he more then likely won't go after him...unless he has a killer shot at him. But he'll put them to bed and him and I will go at it in the morning. I've got my new Swav's and am dying to see "ALLEN'S BUCK" with them. We're camping tonight in the truck...I'll get there about 9pm! We've already got tomorrows plan lined up if he sees the buck this evening. Atleast for now...things may change. But I'm pumped...and will bring him home...

Tommy- We'll call you and fill you in. I've got your number...

Excitment..................

Scott G.....

I talked to PW last night. He was on his way to meet Allen in 36c. As of yesterday afternoon Allen had yet to take a shot. PW figured Allen would put them to bed and find them in the morning. I should get a call sometime this afternoon to get a progress report.

Later

I still havn't recieved word from PW or Allen. Hopefully that's good news.

I got home last night right at 10:00. Saturday morning PW and I repositioned ourselves on this hill so we hopefully had a better stalk. This hill leaves you naked, you can really only hunt it from below, and there is alot of grass/mesquites that dont hide you very well if you want to stalk, so the thought was get so we have a 400 yard shot or so, and sit real still. Anyway, Scott picked up the bucks. Then right after spotting them, they were starting to spook. Some hunters were skylined on a big rock outcropping and the deer started to move. I set up best I could, (once first light hit, we realized we were not in the best postition but o.k.) and I got ready to shoot. Scott said I better shoot, they were real skittish and starting to move up the hill, so I took the shot at 509 yards. We thought I hit him, so we stayed put about 45 minutes. After getting up the hill, there were no signs of blood/hair or anything, so we took off in the direction of the deer. We went a couple small ridges over and set up to glass and did not see any movement or the deer. We stayed there the rest of the day and saw one small buck and 11 does. At this point, when we got back down around 7:00 pm, the game plan has changed to letting the bucks rest for a couple days and go back at them fresh. Basically Friday morning the bucks got pushed off the hill by two hunters skylining themselves, Saturday morning the bucks went down into a wash after two "hikers" came up on us right first thing in the morning and Sunday morning two guys caused the bucks to get spooked. These two guys actually left their spot and came and sat in our glassing location while we were hiking up the hill. I figure I will give the area a few days to calm back down and I will go back. I am down, but not out..........I am going to get a coues if it kills me............ Allen......

I'm sorry for not calling Tommy Sat ir Sun...but by the time we got off the hill and back into cell service areas...it would have been 9pm and I didn't know if it was too late to call! We did see bucks every day...SAt the hikers spooked the bucks...and Allen did pass a slam dunk shot on a cute little 2 point hiding behind a tree...he thought he was hiding...hehe!

Yesterday was eventfull. Like Allen said, I picked up the bucks on the hill. There were 4 of them...to 3x3 (plus eye guards) and 2 small 2 points. The one Allen shot at was a nice buck...I guessed him to be 93-95 B&C...just when I spotted them they started acting spooky. The wind was blowing east to west and the "hunters" 2 hills east who were sitting syklined let their scent be blown to the bucks, we assumed. There was no other reason for them to spook. Well, they started trotting up hill...I spotted for Allen to the best buck and ranged the rock he was by at 509...what a poke! The buck jumped like he was hit...so Allen and I waited, got our stuff together and watched the bucks run over the hill. The big one was behind the pack (like he was hit) and when he go to the top of the hill he paused before dropping over. Well after extensive searching and then watching the 2 yahoos below walk into our glassing spot...we tried following the basic path of the deer. We later concluded that the bullet could have possibly gone a tad high and rock fragments could have hit the buck causeing hit to jump...like he was hit. We could see the dust fly directly behind the buck after the shot...oh well!

Allen is going back Fri morning...I can't be there. WORK! And SAT - Sun I'll be in Vegas (my girlfriend is having back surgery)! So...Allen I'm sure will get his buck Fri morning...We've put together another tenative plan for him and maybe something might come to us by weeks end!

It was a heck of a hunt and a great time!

Again sorry for not calling but it was late and we were tired!

They coues may have won this battle, but the war ain't over!

Scott G...

Bura, it's been a blast reading about your scouting trips and all the updates on your hunt. It feels like everyone here is part of the hunt. Get back out there and give'em hell. Tom

Bura it has been fun reading about all this hunting and scouting. It also sound like a Utah general hunt. Always someone to mass you up after you come up with the perfect plan. Good luck this weekend. Leave me one. Dec 25th at noon I out of Utah and hopefully on the 26th before dark I am in 36c. I hope that 5 days of hunting is enght time to find one.
Thanks

Bura,
Go get him this weekend and hopefully those yahoos won't be out the second weekend. How far are you hiking in, since you mention mesquites and washes? I figure most competing hunters are too lazy to hike more than 1/2 mile in, so I give it at least an hour hike. In half a dozen hunts there, I've only seen one group of hunters go more than a mile into the hills.
Good Luck,
Red Rabbit

i know its a lil late but the story doesnt end what happened? did u get him? i have to know just reading that story got my heart pounding with anticapation for my dads december hunt
casey

Casey: I ended up missing at 509 but had a great time. I saw alot of bucks and learned what it is like to have your deer bumped numerous times by others...Maybe come later in December after my mexico hunt, I will have a success story....... Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom