Bura's Mexico Coues

• Thread starter PotatoWhisperer
  • Start date
What a great deer Allen, congratulations! I cant wait to hear more of the story, Drummond

what a beautiful coues.....congrats.....i don't see your white teeth! lol!!! :) congrats again!!

vinihunt

allen, great deer im jealous! now we all have to work hard to beat that monster. i like the double eyeguard and long g2's nice deer how far? how many shots? congrats
casey

I am absolutely as happy as I can be. This deer is sneaky big, he has good mass and good beam length. He is weak on his left G3 but I dont care, I love the extra browtine and he will make a great mount. I couldnt be more proud. Like Kent said, I am totally hooked for life, these critters really get into your blood. THE STORY: We got to our glassing spot just before light ( Mexico seems to be slower pace and I was happy we left early enough finally to be in position before light) The cowboy with me spoke ZERO english and had a pair of 10x bino's, but glassed pretty good. He set up on one side and me on the other side of the ridge. He spotted three does right away, then about 1/2 hour later I saw a buck trotting out at about 1000 yards. This buck was visible for about 1 minute then went over a ridge. I continued to glass, but nothing was shining or moving around, so I proceeded to take "one last pass" over the ridges before I moved. I just started the grid pattern when I saw a deer come out from a big oak tree and could see horns. The buck fed for a couple minutes then just took off running up the ridge for no apparent reason. At the top of the hill, the buck suddenly stopped, started feeding for about 30 seconds then bedded down on the SE slope right in the Sun. I couldnt believe he didnt go over the ridge, so I just watched him for about 10 minutes then went after him. I hiked in a really round about way about 1 mile up through an oak draw to get set up underneath him about 300 yards below. There didnt seem to be any other better place to set up, nothing above him etc.. Well I couldnt see him once I was in position so I went down and back up the opposite facing slope to get a bit more height. By this time, the buck had got up feeding away from me at over 600 yards so I hiked back down and then up to the top of the peak he originally bedded on, in hopes of being able to look down on him now that he fed out. I actually picked up his movement back towards me while I was slowly walking towards my intended glassing spot. He didnt see me, he was walking kinda fast, acting a bit rutty, and I shot him right behind the right front shoulder at somewhere less than 250 yards. Those ballistic tips really punched through him. The heart and lungs were blown up and pieces of copper were on the exiting side wound. Once I got up to him, the whole country of Mexico could see my smile, I was pumped. I took a bunch of pictures, then we gutted the deer and started back out. It took about 1 1/2 hours to pack him out, but I didnt care, I was on cloud nine. I was very impressed with the vast country, the amount of deer and the total experience. I cant wait to get back there. Thanks for letting me ramble.....Allen ......

Good Job Bura. Wish that mine looked like that. I agree I am hooked for life. They are a very fun deer to hunt. I got back last night with the smallest buck that I saw. Here is a short story. 25th Christmas then headed off, 26th got to the unit at 1:00pm, set camp, short night hunt (8 deer 1 buck 70ish past the shot) 27th (40 deer 3 bucks 1 80ish too far 2 70ish past the shot) 28th (11 deer 1 buck 90ish missed 450 yard shot) 29th 40 deer 1 buck time to stop pasting shouts missed a 70ish buck at 400 yards 30th (39 deer 1 buck big buck 100+ missed 530+++++ till I could not shot any more) 31st (45 deer 4 bucks 3 70ish no shouts at them, then there was my last hour buck sun had gone down and I had about 45 min of light I had been watching 11 does for 2 hours and finlly found a buck 400 yard shout and I had my first coues. It is a small three point but it was great fun. I will post the hole story when I get time. Thanks

Allen, I just have to ask what is up with that cheezy grin??? It reminds me of my 13 year old son getting ready to pour freezing cold water on me in the shower when I am not looking!! :) Just kidding, you look like you are on cloud nine!!! Congrats again!!!

Kent

Venado muy grande! Very nice buck Allen. Congratulations! He's a dandy. Your relating the story of the buck that took off for no apparent reason really brings back memories. I wish I had a dollar for every great buck I was watching that lit out like his butt was on fire. Sorry I haven't been on the site more, but I've been pretty busy.

Kent: I still have that S--t eating grin on now. It wont go away. Randy, nice to see you back. I spoke with Howell this morning and he is taking off with Gates to mexico on the 8th I think he said. I have got the Coues bug so bad now, I am already planning my trip to Mexico for next year. I dont know how I will convince my wife, but I want to go every year down there.....Man what beautiful country and lots of deer.... Allen Taylor......

Congratulations,
Very nice buck and it sounds as though you had a great time,I just got back from a week of archery coues and javelina wasnt so lucky but had a good time also, Thanks for sharing the pic its great and your all smiles I see.

smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif

Tagline

Congrat's Allen,that's an awesome buck.Looks like he has a beutifull looking cape,I'm sure he will look great on the wall.

Hi Allen, I didn't know that you knew Dave. So he's still hanging with Jay, huh? We knocked down a few beers together over the years. Both are great guys and very, very good - and serious hunters. (Man do I miss Arizona.)

Thanks guys, I will be pumped the rest of the year till my next hunt. Randy: Dave is a real good guy. This time I think they are just hunting for themselves so it should be a good time. AZ is a great state Randy, and there is nothing like hunting the desert........Allen Taylor......

Allen,

Congratulations on the nice Buck. What's next on the agenda for slams? Good luck this year on draws for tags wherever you put in for.
Brian

Hey Allen:

Outstanding!

Just back from vacation & catching up on the various posts. CONGRATULATIONS on the great coues! It's awesome that after all of the hard work (starting with last year's 23 hunt), that you finally got your first coues! And what a beauty of a buck he is!!!

S.

:)

Allen,
He looks like a dandy to grace your wall with the rest of the slam. Now that you've broken the coues ice, what's on tap for next year?
Sorry for the late congrats, but I just got back from Texas seeing friends and hunting deer and feral pigs.
Doug

BURANUT..

SINCE U HARVEST FINEST 5 SPECIES OF DEER...

MULE, COUES, SITKA, BLACKTAIL,WHITETAIL...WOW...MUST BE GREAT EXPERIENCE TO GET THOSE DEER...

MY GOAL TO HARVEST ALL BIG GAME FROM NEW MEXICO ALONE...

I NEED TO GET DESERT/ROCKY BIGHORN SHEEP, COUES, COUGAR THAT'S ALL I NEED TO GET...

I GOT ANTELOPE, MULE, PERSIAN IBEX, ORYX, ELK, JAVELINA, BEAR, BARBARY SHEEP..

CONGRATS AGAIN WITH UR SUCCESSES...

VINIHUNT

Vini: maybe a few of us can hook up for next season on coues in NM. I know I am already chomping at the bit to hunt them again....... Allen Taylor......

hey allen, where in mexico did you hunt? did u use a guide? what guide service did you use? my dad and i would like info about possibly going to mexico to hunt coues. also i would be ready to go to nm next year for coues if yall want a young whipper snapper with u all though i will be the work horse. thanx for answering my questions
casey

Bura,

Congratulations! That's a great buck! I sure that I'm lucky enough to harvest one like that sometime.

Matt

Casey: I was down close to Agua Preita right accross from Douglas, AZ. I didnt have a guide with me. The owner of the Ranch Mr. Jose' Morales is a very good guy and makes the border crossing easy. Let me know if you guys need any info about the ranch etc......Dodger, thanks...... Allen Taylor......

how did you go about getting this tag and the permisson to hunt the ranch? does the ranceher charge? if you dont mind me asking in what price range did the trip cost ie tags. licenses and ffees?
casey

Same Quetion. Was the price reasonable, and what was your over all rating from 1-10 on the hole hunt. (Animal quality) did you see very many nice bucks. Ha I just got my voice mail off my phone from before my hunt. I will give you a call.

I think the price is very reasonable, 3,500.00 Now I dont have alot of money, but after this experience, I got to thinking that on the San Carlos I think the tag is 750.00 so you will have at least 1,000.00 in a hunt for a week here in AZ if you didnt draw and went to the Rez, so why not save up and then you pick the time you want to go and for the above fee, you get room, board, a guide, food and good quality bucks. I plan on going each year if possible. The rating I give the ranch would be a 8. I think for the time I personally hunted to have seen 6 bucks over 100 in 2 days was pretty good. I dont know what you normally see down in Mexico, but I saw alot of deer. I would recommend Elcanjoncito Ranch.........Allen Taylor......

Thats a great buck Bura. I hope to get down there one of these years. Next year I hope. Congrats, cb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom