Buried Treasure (deer shed)

Fencer

Was heading back to the truck with fresh browns couple days ago and noticed this

1B4AB736-B655-4B29-BAD9-46E002784B1C.jpeg

It looked like a two point chalk deer horn.

821D6AE9-66CA-4ADD-9730-AE6E3F6B0057.jpeg

It was stuck pretty good. After some digging I got this.

3F5B6519-9F4C-4FDC-A68D-08A53E3505A5.jpeg

What did you excavated?

Over forty years ago my brother and I were out in the hills and I noticed bottom of the skull of this buck sticking up out of a dry wash. All of the antler past the browtines was under ground. We started digging with some small antlers we had found and this is what we uncovered. I cleaned up the antlers, stained them and put them on the plaque. Kind of wish I had left them like I found them now. A little over 31 outside and 6 inches on the H1.
CCI07112015_0001.jpg

A high mountain brook bottom somewhere near Green River WY. A forky is sticking out of cemented mud.

buried deer shed - 1.jpeg

Pulled out a beautiful 5 point mule deer shed.

buried deer shed - 1 (1).jpeg

One hour later another cool find. Will mail it back to Lockheed Martin :)

weather probe - 1.jpeg

SS please tell me a story?
Oh man there’s not much of a story there.

We took off from the truck to go hike through a valley and up over the top to where we know moose winter. We were hoping to come back with some moose paddles.

My friend, Nugget and I were making great time. Winter in AK can’t be beat. Like always the hike is full of conversation. No need to be quiet when you’re chasing sheds. One topic was my friend had saw a 40” ram in the valley earlier this winter. As we were BSing we started hear ravens. While not uncommon to hear them it is uncommon to hear them in the morning.

As we hiked on and rounded the corner the valley opened up. You could see some recent avalanche slides which is rare for that time of year. As we hiked closer we spotted the ravens on the slide with what looked like a little blood on the snow. Moose paddles could wait…

As we hiked closer Nugget picked up the scent and was on it in no time. We crossed the creek and climbed up there. All that was sticking out was the nose. We soaked in the moment and started to dig it out. The snow was hard as a rock. It was a slow process. After a bit we thought it was a ewe. As we kept digging I kicked some snow out of the way and hit the tip of his horn, it was a RAM!!!! With the shot of adrenaline we were able to dig him out faster. It was the big ram! When we pulled it out we saw where the wolverines had tunneled underneath the sheep to eat it. Also the avalanche snapped off a fair portion of his other horn. By the time we put the skull in the pack it was too late to go look for moose antlers. I love that about most the trips I do, they do not go as planned.

It’s been a bit but for the sheep nuts he was 10 years old and 40”. Beautiful sheep that lived a long life!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom