Burris or Leupold?

wallhanger

Hey guys. I'm looking for opinions and experiences with the Burris Fullfield 2 rifle scopes, as well as the Leupold VX 2s. According to their site, Burris has some really nice features, and good optics from when I've looked through them in the store.

Of course, it's tough to go wrong with a Leupold. Both have lifetime warranties, and both are water/fogproof. Just want to know if the Leupolds are really $100 better than the Burris.

FYI, I'm looking at the 3X9X40 to put on my son's Christmas present, a Remington Model 7 youth in .243 win.

Thanks for your opinions,

WH

I just bouight a 3x9x40 Leopold Rifleman scope for my boys Model 7 Reminton .243 and he loves it. Can't go wrong $249.00 at any walmart.

That is a great question. Years back, I always hunted with Leupold and then switched to Nikon. Recently, I compared the Burris with the Leupold and without a doubt,I would choose Burris.

I also had a pair of Leupold binoculars. I didn't like them. But that is only my opinion and I am sure a lot of people swear by Leupolds. I would do a "side by side" comparison and decide for yourself. Its funny, I spoke with two guys at separate sporting goods stores (who I believe sold both brands) and one swore by the Leupold and the other Burris. Go figure?

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Jason

I am not sure how well burris backs their scopes. I do know that leupold backs theirs no questions asked. As for which one is better that is really up to you. I have a leupold VX-II on my .270 and wouldn't trade it for anything less. My brother and his two boys all have the burris on their rilfes and have no complaints about them.

I'm sure though whatever you decide to go with your son will be happy either way. Can't wait for the pics of his first one with his new toy.

Leupold makes the best rifle scopes and has the best warrenty out there. I own 5 leupolds from the standard 3x9 on up to the 6.5x20's. Absolutely love them.

PS: Leupolds warrenty follows the SCOPE not the owner so you can pick up any leupold from a pawn shop and immediately ship it off to leupold for a clarity check and they will disassemble it, check it, clean it and return it.

-DallanC

Was looking to order a Leupold for a friend. Seems in my dealer catalogs the rifleman is the scope that does not mention lifetime warranty while all the other "grades" do mention that. FWIW

I own a burris fullfield II in 3x9x40 and love it. When I purchased the scope from cabelas a free spoting scope came with. For $200 the burris can't be beat.

I too just purchased a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with the ballistic plex (and a free spotter). I put it on a NEF handi-rifle. I haven't used the scope too much, but really like it so far...can't beat it for $200 IMHO.

Good luck.

JT

I would vote for the Leupold. I have 2 Vari-x II 3 X 9 scopes and a 3 / 9 compact Leupold and have never had a problem.

either is an excellent scope. i have the fullfield 2 on my model 70 '06. and a vari x 2 on my model 7 243. i dont notice any difference in quality in them-so price and personal preference will have to be the deciding factor.

FYI try typing the names of the scopes into froogle.com

You might get a better deal than you expected! Don't forget to look for sites with free shipping!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 10:57PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 10:56?PM (MST)

i have both scopes and they are both very nice. i think they would both do you a fine job. however, if i was to buy a new scope it would definantly be a leupold. the guy who said to buy one from a pawn shop was not kidding. i found a rifle in a pawn shop that had a 4.5 x 14 leupold on it. the scope was a mess. the rear lense was chipped and the scope was dented in a couple of placees. the gun was crap, but for the whole setup i gave $150. i sent the scope to leupold, and in less than two weeks they sent me a brand new scope.

I own both brands and like both. Just a note on the Burris warranty. My brother recently returned a 12 year old fullfield to Burris because it had a dislodged reticle from abuse. They repaired it no questions asked and he didn't have a receipt.

I have both of the scopes you mention too. I really like them both. I think the Leupold is just a very slight bit better optically. But it aint much and both are great scopes for the money.

Thanks a lot, guys for your replies. I appreciate all of the first hand experience you guys have with the scopes. I went and compared some scopes last night, and the Nikon Monarch was also impressive in that price range. So now I'm even more confused than when I started. It's always a good problem to have when there are too many good choices. Should the Nikon also be considered? Or am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'm not going to go wrong with any quality name, I just really want to make this gift special for my son's first deer rifle.

WH

I would still stick with a burris or leupold. As far as warranties go I don't think you'll ever beat leupold.

>I would still stick with a
>burris or leupold. As
>far as warranties go I
>don't think you'll ever beat
>leupold.
Agreed totally, That and your buying American!

The lens coatings on the Leupolds are far superior to Burris. In my estimation Burris is Junk compared to the quality of the Leupold. If you move up the scale to the higher end scopes like the Vari X III Leupold, Burris doesn't have anything that comes close.

I have Leupold Vari X III's on everything and through rain, mud, snow, freezing temps and hard knocks they have never let me down. The only other scope I would consider in that price range would be one of the new Zeiss Conquests.

When your at any gun show the used Leupolds are always finding new homes while the Burris scopes just sit there.

I too just purchased the Burris Fullfield II 3x9 with the free spotting scope for $189. I was surprised to find that the spotting scope was made in China. I didn't buy the package to get a spotting scope so it's not that big a deal. I checked the www.Burrisoptics.com website and found that it seems some or all of their spotting scopes and binoculars are foreign made. The website seems to indicate that their riflescopes are American made. I sent them an E-mail asking if the scope was in fact made in the USA. Made in USA is one of the reasons I purchased the Burris Scope.

I'll keep you posted,

BeanMan

Foreign made...Dang it I thought I was buying American.

Mr. Judson,
We have always imported our Spotting scopes and binoculars, in fact there is not one company making binoculars in America for many years now.
The 3x-9x-40mm and 4.5x-14x-42mm Fullfield II scopes are now being assembled overseas. They are made exactly the same way we made the scopes here using the exact same materials and carry our Forever Warranty as well.

Thank you,
Burris

BeanMan

"They are made exactly the same way using exactly the same materials." Yeah right. Left out one small part to them. The part about using slave labor. Slaves in China on the production line make less than one dollar an hour. But who cares about morals if the purchaser save money. We better start caring and quick as each day the old marxist saying of "give them enough time and the Americans will sell us the very rope we will use to hang them," becomes more and more true.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom