Burris or Nikon riflescope?

A

a3dhunter

I am looking at staying around $150 for a new scope and have narrowed it to a Burris Fullfield II($160) or a Nikon Prostaff($140) in 3-9x40mm. Anybody have a preference of these two or another option? For a 30.06 by the way, if it matters.

I'm a fan of the Burris glass, I have two Fullfield II's on a .300 WSM, and my wife's .243. Both have worked well. I also own a couple pairs of Burris binos, they are not thier higher end ones and are fair. I don't know about Nikon's warranty, but I do know that Burris has a good one. Just my two cents.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

NIKON, IS MY SECOND CHOICE AFTER LEUPOLD ( STILL CANT SPELL IT) I WOULD CHECK INTO THE NIKON WARRANTY THOUGH. LEUPOLD WARRANTY CANT BE BEAT/ A FEW BUCKS MORE. DONT SKIMP ON SCOPE GLASS. YD.

I have a Burris Full Field II which in my opinion is just as clear as my Leupold Vari-X II. However, I have never had it out in really bad weather so I can't say anything about durability. My Leupold has been drenched several times with no ill effects. If you are in no hurry you should watch on eBay. You should be able to pick up the Burris you want for under $160. I bought one last winter (new in box) for $163.00 and I only watched for about a week

Tim

Searchin' for a 4 X 4

LAST EDITED ON May-11-06 AT 07:04PM (MST)[p]I don't know if this will help you since I've never owned a Burris scope. I loved my old Renfield Golden 5 star 4x12. It was a great scope and then I looked through my father in laws Nikon in the twilight. Holy Smokes! It was like night and day! Since then, I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 6x18 and couldn't be happier! The capture of light is incredible for the price and it has filled my freezer!

Like I said, I haven't tried the Burris brand, so take my advice any way you wish, but I am more than happy with my Nikon! Good luck and good shooting!

Well, I have been watching ebay and can get the Nikon for $114 plus shipping or the Burris for $149 plus shipping. I'm still undecided, but I did check the warranty info. on Nikon and I liked what it said.
"Nikon is dedicated to quality, performance and total customer satisfaction. If any Nikon riflescope is found to have defects in workmanship or materials, we will, at our option, repair or replace it at no charge, even if you are not the original owner. No time limit applies and no warranty card is required."
Can anybody tell me why I need to spend more money on the Burris? If someone can give a good reason I am not against spending the money, I just want to be a smart buyer.
a3dhunter

I just bought the Burris off of ebay from "sharp-and-shiny" and it came very fast. I paid $153.50 after shipping. I was sold on the Burris because they have that Ballistic Plex reticle. I haven't shot with it yet, but am excited to get out. So, that's what turned me towards the Burris. It mar or may not be of importance to you? If you want a plex like that you have to spend a little more money for the high-end scopes. Just muy 2 cents. Good Luck!

I would second going with the Leupold if you can. You can get a VXII 3x9 40 mm on eBay near your budget. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with that scope and leaves little questions at all on performance.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

LAST EDITED ON May-14-06 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-14-06 AT 10:16?PM (MST)

I will tell you this... both are great scopes and you couldnt go wrong with either. Your question was, is there any reason you should spend the little bit more for the burris... yes. One you can get the ballistic plex if desired, two they are all steal construction(which makes it a slight bit heavier, which could be a problem. thats all personal preference stuff), and it has two reticle retentions springs instead of one like everybody else, which means it was twice the holding strength to keep your crosshairs on your zero. I am a pretty big fan of burris scopes. That being said I think the nikon is right up there on the same level optically. I look through those two exact scopes at work almost every day and can tell you that they are both great.

Here is my two cents worth on this topic.

Leupold - Beaverton Oregon - Lifetime Warranty Transferable

Burris - Greeley Colorado - Lifetime Warranty, Transferable

Nikon - Japan - Lifetime Warranty Warranty.

Call me a homer, or stupid, or whatever but I will always buy US made products and pay a little more, if the choice is there to make.

If the only choice was Nikon or Burris I would take the Burris. If the choice was between the three I would take the Leupold. If you want to give me any of the three, I would not complain.

Make sure when comparing scopes you compare like for like.

Leupold Rifleman and VX-I, Nikon Pro Staff
Leupold VX-II, Burris FF-II, Nikon Buckmaster
Leupold VX-III, Burris Signature Nikon Monarch
Leupold LPS and VXL, Burris Black Diamond, Nikon Titanium

Leupold and Burris have custom shops. You can have the reticles changed to your liking. They are first and foremost Scope manufacturers. Nikon makes cameras. The clarity and light gathering abilities are about the same on all three. The customer service provided by Leupold is excellent.

I bought a Leupold VXII 3x9x40 for $225 last week off of gunbroker.com and saw the same scope sell on Ebay for $227. (way below wholesale) Both were new in the box. I know where to get all three types wholesale if you are interested. email me for details.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom