Burros for packing

elkohalic

Curious if anyone uses burros for packing. Probably a dumb question but I’m curious about the pros and cons...

75DDA3B1-C747-4AD9-85F7-064830F39D40.jpeg

A buddy and I are training a couple of BLM burros right now. Going really well

Just a quick search I came up with pack goats about 40lbs each, llamas about 75lbs each, and as posted, burrows about 125 lbs. Looks like if one guy was headed up to G for about a week you'd need three goats or two llamas or one ass. I've never used any of those, but I think I'd try the llamas first.

Pros -
They are cheap. The BLM will give you $1000 to adopt a wild one. You can get gentled ones $125.

They eat about half as much as a horse. With hay prices going through the roof, it still doesn’t cost me very much to feed them.

They are wicked smart, but almost too smart. You can’t force a burro do something, you have to talk them into it.

They are hardy little buggers. Almost never need any water.

Cons -
They pack less than a horse. Depending on size, 100-150 lbs per burro.

They can be very stubborn.

Can be hard to find good pack saddles and bags for them. A few companies specialize in correct sizes for Burros.

Just a quick search I came up with pack goats about 40lbs each, llamas about 75lbs each, and as posted, burrows about 125 lbs. Looks like if one guy was headed up to G for about a week you'd need three goats or two llamas or one ass. I've never used any of those, but I think I'd try the llamas first.
3 llamas give you plenty of pack space for a week in the hills for 2 people.

They will pack 200 lbs....and stomp the piss out of any coyote,dog or fox that comes near them...

Is that where "burritos" come from ?
My whole life I thought a burrito is a “burro”. Green chili burro’s have been a staple in my hunting camps for a long long time.

You ask one of the cabron’s in the camps i‘m usually in for a burrito and you get a sideways look. But maybe it’s just a local thing.

My whole life I thought a burrito is a “burro”. Green chili burro’s have been a staple in my hunting camps for a long long time.

You ask one of the cabron’s in the camps i‘m usually in for a burrito and you get a sideways look. But maybe it’s just a local thing.
They're making little burritos for you.

45d35ae3280901b1.jpg

I see ass's all over G and H every year. Should be some pretty good info on them out there.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom