Busted Bolt Handle

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Had a bullet and casing get stuck in the chamber today. I opened the bolt and it wouldn't pull back so a gave a rap with the hand and the dam handle broke off with the bolt still in. Dropped a brass rod down the barrel and the bolt popped open Any bolt repair ideas or are we calling Remington or buying another. Gun hasn't had one box of ammo run through it yet.

IMG_20210802_170847663.jpg

IMG_20210802_170737183.jpg

IMG_20210802_170814780.jpg

Last edited:
Yes a rap with my hand/fist. It was a hand load. I had a bolt open hard before that I had to pop the bolt with my fist but never had one break.

Everything seems pretty decent on the gun so far outside of this minor issue.

mtmuley, you got something in mind? Be some expensive scrap!

Last edited:
Everything seems pretty decent on the gun so far outside of this minor issue.

mtmuley, you got something in mind? Be some expensive scrap!
I just get a laugh that anytime a Remington has a flaw it's big news. Was joking about scrap price. Kinda. mtmuley

Send it to dan Armstrong in Fairbanks. It'll come back tigged on and better timed for primary extraction than it was from the factory.
+1 Dan is the man to fix it for you. You will need to provide him with a few measurements/ scribe the bolt for him. Looks like you will need to buy a new handle also but he sells a variety of them.
When you get it back it will be timed much better also.

Well, I see you're strong as all He!!.
You didn't just break the silver solder loose, you broke the tab off the bolt where is wraps around the bolt body.
Remind me to never pizz you off!
I'm too frail to mess with you.

Zeke

Yes a rap with my hand/fist. It was a hand load. I had a bolt open hard before that I had to pop the bolt with my fist but never had one break.
I had something similar happen with my M70, but it was after I had shot & killed a bear in Ontario. The .264 empty case with bolt latched onto it, stuck in the chamber. I opted to put a cleaning rod down the barrel & used a rubber mallet on it to break the case & bolt loose. And yes, it was also a handload that was a bit too warm. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the insight and recommendations. I spoke with Dan @ Accutig and he is a wealth of information. And for $80 + shipping we get an upgraded bolt. I'll throw a pic up when it's returned.

Don't feel too bad.

I have broken two Remington bolts myself .
No, I didn't use a hammer. Stuck hot load and a desperate, determined yank .
I welded them back on myself.

Don't feel too bad.

I have broken two Remington bolts myself .
No, I didn't use a hammer. Stuck hot load and a desperate, determined yank .
I welded them back on myself.
Tig Welded I hope. Also did you use any heat stop? Remington bolts are actually 3 pieces and the bolt nose can come loose with to much heat on the body.

Mild steel weld (acetylene torch) with silver solder.
Wrapped in a wet rag and laid in a boll of cold water.
Still holding and looking good.
Sanded and buffed with abrasive compound.

Have you got the bolt back yet? It’s amazing what a properly timed bolt feels like and how smooth ejection becomes.

We have not. Expecting it's return any day. Never had a bolt timed like this and for sure Dan know his chit. We look forward to the final product.

I don't think you'll find anyone that has welded more bolt handles on than Dan. I'd bet money it'll be better than it was from the factory.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom