Buyer-Seller List (good guy/bad guy)

Old_Cohntr6

Wondering if MM has a list of buyers to be aware of (scammers) and folks that are vetted?
I posted (for my brother in law) to buy 7mm SAUM brass and havent had the best experiences with either person. My brother in law is a cop so he is not a huge user of social media (for obvious reasons-especially his current assignment on a gang unit) so I am just helping find brass for his new rifle.
Here is our recent finding:
New member "BDrills" says his friend "Tony" has 50 pieces of brass for sale and gives me Tony's email. I contact Tony and he sends me a picture of a lifetime supply of 7mm SAUM brass (~900 pieces of Nosler, Remington, and Norma) so I send my brother in law the info and let them take care of the deal.

My brother in law settles with the guy for ~$900 for the brass (smoking deal btw). Tony also wants a certain friends and family Paypal function for payment. My brother inlaw turns up that "Tony" was recently arrested in Tennessee for running an illegal gambling operation. Deal is off and Tony is not happy.
I share this because I just got another PM from "Heckler303" (new member-anyone know him?) that has a friend that has 7mm SAUM brass for sale and is another new member (Hockett927).
Is the brass stolen? Probably.
IF any of the new members mentioned above would like to validate themselves, please do so.
Thanks,
Jeff

P.S.
Admins,
Coueswhitetail.com has a great "pinned" post for good/bad guy sellers in its classifieds. Just a thought if MM doesn't.

Not a bad idea. I would caution anyone from buying hunting stuff from elkassassin as the guy doesn’t hunt so likely it’s a scam.
Elkassin has done a very good job making us believe he is a hunter and not the PETA insider that he really is. He even went so far as bought a bunch of camo from me to keep up his ploy. I first became suspicious when he started claiming he was from the Basin because we all know ain't nothing good ever come from there. :LOL:

Seriously though never buy anything from a new member unless someone can vouch for them. Even then it doesn't hurt to have them text you a photo of their driver license and a picture of their item with a written note in the photo that would verify they took the photo and didn't steal it off the net. There are too many scammers out there that we should be doing due diligence so we don't get burned.

I have had many good interactions with MM members. Both buying and selling, and generally things go smoothly. My general rules are 100+ posts, give me your contact info, and either check or MO or Apple/Zelle. I don't do PP, so don't ask. I still like to believe in people, at least the first time!!!

See That SS!

I Bought Some Stuff From deadibob To Make It Look Like I Hunt!

These SCAMMERS Prey On Us Gullible Hunters knowing We Are Sometimes an Easy Bunch To SCAM!

And It's Usually what's considered a SMALL amount of Money that The Law Isn't Gonna do anything to these JOKERS!

I have had many good interactions with MM members. Both buying and selling, and generally things go smoothly. My general rules are 100+ posts, give me your contact info, and either check or MO or Apple/Zelle. I don't do PP, so don't ask. I still like to believe in people, at least the first time!!!
The few times I have had the opportunity to purchase items fro MM members all went well. Shipping was timely and I sent payment promptly too. There are a lot of good folks on this board.

I've bought and sold many items from hunting forums. If you're willing to buy an item without the seller posting a picture of it you're taking a big risk. If the seller is unwilling to post a picture of the actual item...probably a scammer. If they only post stock images that you can get off the web...scammer. The seller should be willing to post a picture of the item with their username and date wrote next to it. I've looked at threads on this forum when there was no pics posted of the items for sale and later learn the buyer got scammed. I'm not sure what rules @Founder has in place, but pictures, username and date should be requirements to sell along with a minimum number of posts. My 2 cents.

I try to block all traffic from most countries and block user registration from all countries except just 3-4, but they have ways around that.
As I’ve post before, if anyone suspects another user of being a scammer, please let me know.
There really shouldn’t be a need for a “Bad Guy” list. They need to be banned, period. But unless I’m made aware of them, I can’t do much.
Unfortunately, while I try to stop banned users from registering again using ip addresses used, there are ways they can get around that as well. I would always be cautious doing business with new members.
If anyone is feeling skeptical about anyone member, feel free to PM and ask me to check ip addresses. I can look at ip addresses used to access the site and see if they come from the same area each time. What I’ve often seen before banning a member for being a scammer is that the IP address used are from random places throughout the country, which isn’t normal and is a big red flag.

I will look into what I can do to improve the classifieds with seller reviews, etc.

I just got a PM from "Heckler303" that he has a buddy with 300 RUM brass that i have posted WTB... Brand new member with zero posts. Might want to look into that one be booted.

So far I have had great results selling to MM members. I try to do face to face for the Utah folks, but even shipping items has been fine. A decent amount on their post count, and the content of the private messages has typically gave me a good feeling on the deal.

I always try to do a phone call when buying or selling something. I like to think by talking with the person I can get a feel for if it is a scammer or not.
I don't sell or buy a lot from the forums I am on but knock on wood I have never had a bad deal.

Wondering if MM has a list of buyers to be aware of (scammers) and folks that are vetted?
I posted (for my brother in law) to buy 7mm SAUM brass and havent had the best experiences with either person. My brother in law is a cop so he is not a huge user of social media (for obvious reasons-especially his current assignment on a gang unit) so I am just helping find brass for his new rifle.
Here is our recent finding:
New member "BDrills" says his friend "Tony" has 50 pieces of brass for sale and gives me Tony's email. I contact Tony and he sends me a picture of a lifetime supply of 7mm SAUM brass (~900 pieces of Nosler, Remington, and Norma) so I send my brother in law the info and let them take care of the deal.

My brother in law settles with the guy for ~$900 for the brass (smoking deal btw). Tony also wants a certain friends and family Paypal function for payment. My brother inlaw turns up that "Tony" was recently arrested in Tennessee for running an illegal gambling operation. Deal is off and Tony is not happy.
I share this because I just got another PM from "Heckler303" (new member-anyone know him?) that has a friend that has 7mm SAUM brass for sale and is another new member (Hockett927).
Is the brass stolen? Probably.
IF any of the new members mentioned above would like to validate themselves, please do so.
Thanks,
Jeff

P.S.
Admins,
Coueswhitetail.com has a great "pinned" post for good/bad guy sellers in its classifieds. Just a thought if MM doesn't.
“Smoking deal” should have been the first clue. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Don’t trust anybody.

the last three things I've bought on MM classifieds I actually sent cash .......never ever had a bad deal on MM classified. Although.....all were long timers..

I try to block all traffic from most countries and block user registration from all countries except just 3-4, but they have ways around that.
As I’ve post before, if anyone suspects another user of being a scammer, please let me know.
There really shouldn’t be a need for a “Bad Guy” list. They need to be banned, period. But unless I’m made aware of them, I can’t do much.
Unfortunately, while I try to stop banned users from registering again using ip addresses used, there are ways they can get around that as well. I would always be cautious doing business with new members.
If anyone is feeling skeptical about anyone member, feel free to PM and ask me to check ip addresses. I can look at ip addresses used to access the site and see if they come from the same area each time. What I’ve often seen before banning a member for being a scammer is that the IP address used are from random places throughout the country, which isn’t normal and is a big red flag.

I will look into what I can do to improve the classifieds with seller reviews, etc.
Thanks for the info Brian! You are right about there shouldn't have to be a bad guy list but a man's word these days doesn't mean squat for some.
Looks like Heckler303 would be a good place to start then the others I mentioned in the original post.
Thanks,
Jeff

If you post a “WTB” ad lately there is always a guy that knows a guy and here’s his email. They will then send you a random pic that they screen shot off eBay of the item you’re looking for. Has happened to me a couple of times and I have actually found the very pic that they used from old eBay ads.

Right On marley!

The Last few Times I've Posted a WTB Ad I've Had SCAMMERS!

I Should Have One/Some Replying Soon!:D

If you post a “WTB” ad lately there is always a guy that knows a guy and here’s his email. They will then send you a random pic that they screen shot off eBay of the item you’re looking for. Has happened to me a couple of times and I have actually found the very pic that they used from old eBay ads.

Thanks for the info Brian! You are right about there shouldn't have to be a bad guy list but a man's word these days doesn't mean squat for some.
Looks like Heckler303 would be a good place to start then the others I mentioned in the original post.
Thanks,
Jeff
What I was referring to when I say there shouldn’t be a bad guy list is that instead of putting them on a bad guy list, just let me know who these folks are and I will ban them. No need for a list.

I ask if they have any friends here on MM that willing to say they are legit.
then check if they have been on the site for more then a month.
Get cell # address/ city/ state. if big money a will get in touch with a guy on MM that lives close that might swing by and check the product out.
Those scammer's have alot of game so you have to be smarter then the average bear.

Never had a bad experience on MM but I'm sure there are scammers out there and I believe the guys on here who claim they've been scammed.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom