Buying Used T/C Long Range, Thoughts?

dancermatt

I've been offered a T/C Long range which is about 10 years old. I'm going to be hunting Elk, Mule Deer in Colorado, Nv, Utah and White Tail in Mich. Thoughts about this rifle? Matt

Can you provide a link to this rifle. I have never heard of that model in T/C

Since you listed Colorado as one place you want to hunt, I generally don’t recommend T/C in-lines. They will not consistently shoot conicals due to the QLA.

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for the heads up...what is QLA? I'm 'new to ML. Matt
I was looking for a rifle I could use in multiple states but that might now be possible?

QLA is a false muzzle on the end of the barrel. It helps you start the bullet/sabot. Problem is it is always cut in exactly the center of the barrel, but the bore is not. When they are off center with each other it ruins accuracy with conicals. Doesnt affect sabots.

I would look at a CVA optima or accura. Be sure and get the breechplug that allows you to shoot Blackhorn 209 powder

I may have spoken too soon. Looks like Thompson Center does make a long range Barrel for a hawken style sidelock rifle. That would be a good rifle and would be legal in all states you want to hunt I believe

Ok, great. While I have your ear....I'm having a very tough time selecting a OTC, DIY, Archery Unit and unit I can put in for ML Elk season in Colorado that I can focus on for the next 5 to 10 years. In addition to hunting, I'd like to take my wife there to hike, fish and scout/learn the area. Do you have any opinion about this goal? There's just so much "Noise" out there...can't figure out the truth from the BS.

There are almost n secrets with where to hunt. Private land is priced accordingly - with some rip offs and virtually no deals. Public land draw tags - draw odds and points required are a very accurate indicator of how good the hunt is. Covering a lot of rough terrain will help make a hunt better - but a 1 point unit will never be like a 10 point unit. I have put in for 50 tags a year for over 20 years and drawn a lot of tags. Finding a hidden gem is nearly impossible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom