CA ELK PLAN PROPOSED CHANGES

You looking for this years' specifically? They don't usually post them this early, although they already have them.

I wish they would take a closer look at the Marble Mountain zone. It really should be split up into a north and south zone. They are distinctly different areas where the elk are found and seems like there could be more opportunities with the zone split up.

More opportunity is always good.
With so much of the elk population especially Tule Elk residing on private land I wish they would supply a list of landowners willing to let people hunt for a fee.

Ya on the stats they have them in June and wait till print of the big game digest to post. I realize 21 and before stats are there but want to know what happened in 22.

Colorado for example posts within a week or a month of the draw online.

Yeah I am assuming Oilcan was asking about paying a trespass fee to hunt private land with a public land draw tag not paying $20K for a ranch only PLM tule elk tag ?…

Horniac

Yeah I am assuming Oilcan was asking about paying a trespass fee to hunt private land with a public land draw tag not paying $20K for a ranch only PLM tule elk tag ?…

Horniac
That’s correct no way I’m buying for a California Elk tag. you Read a lot of stories about people burning there max points and having bad outcomes.

If you draw the La Panza unit DFG does give you a list of landowners that MAY let you on their property (for a fee usually). No idea if that has changed in recent years. One thing they really should change is how they draw names for the 1-2 hunters that can hunt the Chimineas property. They draw those names just before the hunt. How do they expect people to plan the hunt when they don't know if they are drawn? You might have a hunter pay a trespass fee and then draw the DFG hunt as well.

As far as the Tejon hunt. Does it say that the hunter would be able to hunt Tejon if drawn? Or would the hunter need to figure out access on their own?

lol....

As far as the Tejon hunt. Does it say that the hunter would be able to hunt Tejon if drawn? Or would the hunter need to figure out access on their own?

this has nothing to do with Tejon.....Tejon is PLM and that will not change

Didn't realize that was laugh-out-loud funny. I am aware that Tejon is PLM. I was a C&C member there for many years. DFG does have certain opportunities that allow drawn-tag hunting on PLM properties. I am also not aware of much public land in the nothing-to-do-with-Tejon area, so I was just wondering what the plan would be for access.

At the end of the day I am all for more opportunity. The unfortunate fact of CA elk hunting is if your not at max and want to kill a bull your kind of SOL.

Being 36 and one off max this gives me hope that by 80 I’ll be able to draw a bull tag.

On a side note does anyone know if there has ever been data published on how many Tule bull tags are handed out via the PLM program?

At the end of the day I am all for more opportunity. The unfortunate fact of CA elk hunting is if your not at max and want to kill a bull your kind of SOL.

Being 36 and one off max this gives me hope that by 80 I’ll be able to draw a bull tag.

On a side note does anyone know if there has ever been data published on how many Tule bull tags are handed out via the PLM program?
I know more than 1 person that has drawn a Bull tag without max points. One on their first year applying.

36 and max wow! Makes me wonder how many folks on here are max for cali elk? Locally I’m hearing less and less folks that have max. One off max for me due to an unfortunate mishap that first year…. Keep thinking this is my year.. each year!

It happens without max in the random pool, but those are few and far between. I have max and I'm still waiting, but my odds vary depending on which hunt I put in for.

36 and max wow! Makes me wonder how many folks on here are max for cali elk? Locally I’m hearing less and less folks that have max. One off max for me due to an unfortunate mishap that first year…. Keep thinking this is my year.. each year!
For 2022 There’s about 2200 people with max elk points. About 450 of them don’t even apply just buy a point.

I’m at max but need a Rosie. Only a few of those hunts now and other than the Marble Mountains hunt, most of the elk reside on private property from what I understand and require a trespass fee.

The SHARE hunts don’t use points but since those hunts are also open to nonresidents, the draw odds are usually <1/2%…

Horniac

I’m at max but need a Rosie. Only a few of those hunts now and other than the Marble Mountains hunt, most of the elk reside on private property from what I understand and require a trespass fee.

The SHARE hunts don’t use points but since those hunts are also open to nonresidents, the draw odds are usually <1/2%…

Horniac
If you’re looking to buy a California Rosie hunt I know someone. Pm me if you’re interested.

I know more than 1 person that has drawn a Bull tag without max points. One on their first year applying.

Not really all that surprising with 25,000 ( not counting the 11,000 buying points ) people roughly applying for bull tags. That means any draw that has a random pool it will more than likely be a non max point holder.

Aren’t there “random draw” tags available for every elk hunt?

yes there are random tags 45 tags for 36,0000 people. Decreasing odds as the pool has increased every year

At max points it’s 105 tags for 1456 currently. Increasing odds every year. 14 years before they can wipe out the pool without adding hunts. Also have to consider as the point pools mature there will be hunter that are getting up in age that will start burning points on cow hunts.

So could you get lucky? Of coarse.

as they add more hunts it increases the odds more for the preference point holder vs a random participant.

2008 total tags*

So 19 years at current tag #s

With the proposed change 41 tags would be added. 36 would be pref point and 5 would be random. IT would be it back down to the 14 years with current numbers if all the tags are added.

Another interesting thing would be to know how many non res are part of the higher point pools with the cap on 1 tag per species.

Are all of these additional tags going to be draw tags or will some go to the SHARE program? Hopefully, the former.

Hopefully the Share program gets the bulk, since most of us will never have max points
The way I read the draft proposal and understand the discussion regarding the proposal they are all going into the regular draw.

The SHARE tags don‘t have much better odds for CA residents unfortunately than the random tags in the regular draw as their is no NR quota. The good thing about the SHARE drawing is that everyone has the same chance of drawing as it doesn’t utilize preference points...

Horniac

The way I read the draft proposal and understand the discussion regarding the proposal they are all going into the regular draw.

The SHARE tags don‘t have much better odds for CA residents unfortunately than the random tags in the regular draw as their is no NR quota. The good thing about the SHARE drawing is that everyone has the same chance of drawing as it doesn’t utilize preference points...

Horniac
I did draw a Share hunt, which I unfortunately had to surrender because my dog had to have two cancerous tumors removed (successfully), while the transmission of my truck went out at the same time.

Hopefully the Share program gets the bulk, since most of us will never have max points
SHARE hunts are above and beyond. Those hunts are based off of ranchers / Private land owners signing up for the program.

I think the interesting thing will be as Elk populations grow on private how many land owners will sign up for SHARE if they can not get PLM tags. PLM Tags are currently capped at 239 tags a year.

I was lucky enough to draw a SHARE elk tag in 2020. Killed my biggest bull to date and it was a cool experience. Made lifelong friends with the property owners too, so if I ever draw an elk tag in that zone, I can get access again to their property.

There are several units I am familiar with that seem like there could be more tags issued than current numbers. The populations are healthy and expanding in a lot of areas of northern CA. As long as the wolves don't end up being a huge issue, there will be more opportunity in the future.

As an NR now, my only hopes of filling the elk slam and killing a Tule elk will be in the SHARE drawings.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom