CA Fish and Game hunt change Proposals

NE-ELKHTR

Some very interesting proposals in this, will be curious to see the outcome of it. What are you guys/gals thoughts about this?

Attachments

• Calif Big Game Wkshp_2022_0127_Materials_sf.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 670
Overall it looks like a lot of good positive change.
I too agree. My only other comments are:

+ Should have also separated the NE elk hunt into four units: Warner Mtns unit, Devil's Garden Unit, Pondosa Unit, and the Little Valley unit.

+Add two new sheep hunts: Nopah Range and the Castle/Paiute Ranges, which are doing as well as many other currently opened units.

+Should also split all other pronghorn hunts into 2 periods like Lassen and Likely Tables.

+Add an archery rut hunt in A zone. Could be divided north/south like the proposed late rifle hunt. Could be exact same dates and as the proposed late rifle hunt. 100 to 200 tags would be nothing for A zone which is nearly 500 miles long and 100 miles wide!

I too agree. My only other comments are:

+ Should have also separated the NE elk hunt into four units: Warner Mtns unit, Devil's Garden Unit, Pondosa Unit, and the Little Valley unit.

+Add two new sheep hunts: Nopah Range and the Castle/Paiute Ranges, which are doing as well as many other currently opened units.

+Should also split all other pronghorn hunts into 2 periods like Lassen and Likely Tables.

+Add an archery rut hunt in A zone. Could be divided north/south like the proposed late rifle hunt. Could be exact same dates and as the proposed late rifle hunt. 100 to 200 tags would be nothing for A zone which is nearly 500 miles long and 100 miles wide!
I agree there is a lot of good points here bad thing is even out of everything they purpose I wonder how much will get approved.

While there adding sheep units they should also add a few of the Sierra Nevada BH to the list haha

Some of it I like. One point I take issue with in a big way, however. Taking away general tags and making them weapons restrictive for a reason I can’t seem to grasp. I am a bow and rifle hunter and I’ve been affected by the fires but still find a way to hunt and fill tags every year in A and D zones.

This push, from what I’ve seen, is coming from the “adult onset hunter” crowd complaining that they don’t get to hunt archery long enough. Nothing is stopping you from archery hunting during rifle season if you’re too good to pick up a rifle because it’s too easy. The other piss poor excuse I see is general hunters are upset for not being able to turn their tag in, is this for real? Like they are mad they lost 30 bucks or what am
I missing?

Fires aren’t going to last forever, things will change soon and we will have normal fire years. We don’t need to change the system because of fires and new hunters wanting to archery hunt for more than 4 weeks.

Thoughts?

Some of it I like. One point I take issue with in a big way, however. Taking away general tags and making them weapons restrictive for a reason I can’t seem to grasp. I am a bow and rifle hunter and I’ve been affected by the fires but still find a way to hunt and fill tags every year in A and D zones.

This push, from what I’ve seen, is coming from the “adult onset hunter” crowd complaining that they don’t get to hunt archery long enough. Nothing is stopping you from archery hunting during rifle season if you’re too good to pick up a rifle because it’s too easy. The other piss poor excuse I see is general hunters are upset for not being able to turn their tag in, is this for real? Like they are mad they lost 30 bucks or what am
I missing?

Fires aren’t going to last forever, things will change soon and we will have normal fire years. We don’t need to change the system because of fires and new hunters wanting to archery hunt for more than 4 weeks.

Thoughts?
That was one thing I disliked as well was having to pick on a general unit if your going rifle or archery, other then that change from what I seen everything was a positive. Like BWHT4x4 mentioned I think there is a lot more sheep opportunities in the state that are limited.

That was one thing I disliked as well was having to pick on a general unit if your going rifle or archery, other then that change from what I seen everything was a positive. Like BWHT4x4 mentioned I think there is a lot more sheep opportunities in the state that are limited.
I don't see why CDFW couldn't add at least two tags (maybe 3) in both of these areas. The survey data is as strong as some of the best units in the state. There are sheep dying of old age in these two areas.

The sheep survey data I have from 2019 said the survey efforts in the Nopah's identified 39 non-repeat groups totaling 90 sheep with a composition of 41 adult ewes, 3 yearling ewes, 3 lambs, 7 class I, 5 class II, 8 class III, and 22 class IV rams.

The Castle/Paiutes had 31 non-repeat groups totaling 77 sheep. composed of 43 adult ewes, 4 yearling ewes, 9 lambs, 0 class I, 1 class II, 4 class III, and 16 class IV rams.

I don't see why CDFW couldn't add at least two tags (maybe 3) in both of these areas. The survey data is as strong as some of the best units in the state. There are sheep dying of old age in these two areas.

The sheep survey data I have from 2019 said the survey efforts in the Nopah's identified 39 non-repeat groups totaling 90 sheep with a composition of 41 adult ewes, 3 yearling ewes, 3 lambs, 7 class I, 5 class II, 8 class III, and 22 class IV rams.

The Castle/Paiutes had 31 non-repeat groups totaling 77 sheep. composed of 43 adult ewes, 4 yearling ewes, 9 lambs, 0 class I, 1 class II, 4 class III, and 16 class IV rams.
yes....I agree...I am not thrilled even a little with lamb numbers.....

I'd like to see some late season tags for d3-5.
Might draw a few max point holders for those tags. Lots of great bucks to be had in late Nov-Dec that are normally untouchable.

I'd like to see some late season tags for d3-5.
Might draw a few max point holders for those tags. Lots of great bucks to be had in late Nov-Dec that are normally untouchable.
I think, like you, that some late tags in D3-D7 would be great and pull some of the max/high point holder to them. Only issue is that the proposed late hunts being proposed in the link by the OP are only the first week to week and a half of November. These hunts should start the 2nd or 3rd week of Nov and then run for 5 or 9 consecutive days.

Not sure moving the cow season later is the answer. we’ve been asking for a later set date for elk season for while in Siskiyou, not this Wednesday after the first Saturday stuff. A later season means hunting bulls during or after the rut. This gives bulls the opportunity to breed before they get shot. Last couple years the season has fallen in the pre rut stages.

Wow. I actually like the majority of those changes a lot and have no problem with most of the rest....

Which leads me to believe none of them will happen. Ha.
Sadly your probably right, sucks the department tries to get stuff to benefit hunters pushed through but majority of the time it gets kicked back.

I agree and there are some current units that are being hunted that I feel like should and could have more permits issued to them, hopefully they give a decent amount to the muzzleloader and archery to account for this. I wish the agency had the power to open up hunts like Arizona and Nevada if they deem an area is good to hunt they put a tag in there they give opportunity when there is a chance and don’t let sheep die of old age. Plus they have the single horn opportunity now for residents which I think would be awesome if California offered.

Almost all other states are restricting non-resident tags and California wants to up the quotas for non-resident sheep, antelope, elk from 1 to 10%.

How stupid are they?

And California has never relied on NR funds like other states.
I would like to see the NR/R revenue breakdown for deer tags. Might be a different story there since there is no NR quota.

As other western states continue to decrease NR opportunity, I am starting to see CA deer OTC tags mentioned more and more on podcasts and by the tag application services for opportunity hunts.

Quite a few of the premium draw hunts are basically once in a lifetime already and I could see see some of the OTC tags requiring a point or two to draw in the not to distant future if this trend continues…

Horniac

I would like to see the NR/R revenue breakdown for deer tags. Might be a different story there since there is no NR quota.

As other western states continue to decrease NR opportunity, I am starting to see CA deer OTC tags mentioned more and more on podcasts and by the tag application services for opportunity hunts.

Quite a few of the premium draw hunts are basically once in a lifetime already and I could see see some of the OTC tags requiring a point or two to draw in the not to distant future if this trend continues…

Horniac

This is the worst possible thing to hear for California deer hunters. The last thing we need is NR numbers increasing here because we don’t have a split allocation. The Dzone I hunt is tricky to get a tag each year when you used to be able to get two no problem. These influencers aren’t going to stop until you can’t even get a license to hunt a squirrel in North America without 10 bonus points.

Almost all other states are restricting non-resident tags and California wants to up the quotas for non-resident sheep, antelope, elk from 1 to 10%.

How stupid are they?
Yes, other states do restrict non res tags. Most are restricted at 10%, no reason California can't do the same and have a separate draw for non res.

Sheep have always been up to 10 percent, not allocated 10 percent. So they are just trying to increase the elk and antelope from up to 1 tag issued state wide to NR to up to 10 percent. I feel this is only fair to NR, with that being said if NR if there is an increase in deer tags going to NR then there needs to be a NR max allocation or a separate set aside percent that goes to NR. Right now I feel like there isn’t many NR coming to California to hunt but could that change with the demand of tags verse the otc opportunity being lost in other states, I believe it can and will.

These are informational items and apparently will be heard later this year. Hope some of these come into play, they seem awesome and could help alleviate some of the high-point holders.

What percentage of proposed that were adopted in the past? Say last 5yrs? Couple of late hunts in D zones would be nice...

Oooh late archery hunts only!

It would take two tags for a particular muzzleloader or archery hunt to get a preference tag. Maybe if they open up a new unit, they could make the whole unit primitive, 2 tags each to archery and muzzleloader. Just my thought....

Probably no chance, but rotating late hunts in the eastern Sierra, or reducing Goodale tags and opening up more areas with fewer tags per would be awesome.

As of now, there is no nonresident cap on deer draw tags. I'm not sure how many nonresidents apply or draw deer tags, but seems a 10% cap like other states have on deer draw tags would be fair.

CA has so many opportunities to develop a few different hunts that could easily attract the max point holders. IMO they should be unit-wide and not specific to an area like so many of CA's special hunts are.

When is the vote on these proposals?

This thread is months late. The commission voted to leave it up to the department back in early spring from what I remember. I was in the zoom meeting, nothing is changing right now but who knows what the department will ultimately rule. The good news about that meeting was the commission was pro hunting and pro science.

Changes they missed include not pushing the X5a muzzleloader hunt further into November. Now it starts 5-days after the end of the general season. Given all the points they should move it later to make it the same dates as the M3 hunt. In fact, M4,M5, M8 and M9 should be given the same dates as M3.

They should also have late rut muzzleloader hunts in all the X units.

The tag allotment is small and if it’s a factor in the herd survival then cut the tag numbers during the general season.

This thread is months late. The commission voted to leave it up to the department back in early spring from what I remember. I was in the zoom meeting, nothing is changing right now but who knows what the department will ultimately rule. The good news about that meeting was the commission was pro hunting and pro science.
Thanks for the clarification!

This is the worst possible thing to hear for California deer hunters. The last thing we need is NR numbers increasing here because we don’t have a split allocation. The Dzone I hunt is tricky to get a tag each year when you used to be able to get two no problem. These influencers aren’t going to stop until you can’t even get a license to hunt a squirrel in North America without 10 bonus points.
Kinda doubt we will see a lot of NR hunters racing to hunt CA.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom