CA Turkey (pics)

BOHNTR

Long Time Member
I had the honor of being invited by two VERY seasoned archery turkey hunters in the Northern half of the Golden State to try and get this ol' BOHNTR a gobbler that would be big enough for the California Bowmen Hunters record book. You see, a book turkey is the only specie in the state I needed to receive the Whitney Hill Award which is the highest award given to a bowhunter in California. No matter how much I tried over the years, I never could pin down a gobbler big enough to qualify. Now it's not that the minimum score (beard length and spurs) is too high, it was simply a lack of hunting opportunities here in the Southern half of the state.

Chris and Joe invited my wife and I up over the weekend to hunt with them and split up the shooting opportunities between the three of us. Talk about an unbelievable two day adventure. The first morning out, I arrowed my first "book" turkey. With a 9" beard and 1" spurs, he will easily make the CBH minimum. Soon after I arrowed mine at 9 yards, we set up in a different location and Chris hammered a big ol' tom at 10 yards. A double in less than an hour and both captured on video!

The next morning, we set up in another spot and Chris called in a nice tom to 10 yards and I arrowed my second "book" turkey. This one was about the same size as the first, with a half inch longer beard (9.5"). I was stoked to say the least and very grateful for my Northern California hunting buddies (Chris and Joe) to show me the ropes on this turkey calling stuff. I think I'm hooked on this Spring turkey hunting.....it's addicting! Hope you enjoy the photos.

Saturday's Bird:

00small35787530.JPG

Sunday's Bird:

00small56774828.JPG

Chris' big gobbler:

00small16461182.JPG

BOHNTR )))---------->

Looks like you guys had a great hunt. Hopefully someday I will score a big tom like that with my bow. Congrats.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

Nice birds! I cant wait for utahs general season to start. I arrowed my first bird last year and it was a riot!

NICE birds Roy! And great to see you qualify for the Whitney Hill Award (a very special accomplishment!)...

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

Right on Roy! Great photos. Glad Joe and crew were able to put on a good show. I was in the area last week and got rained out. Congrats on the book birds!

That's a big ole cheesy smile there Roy, what a grin, that says it all? Nice job and a big congrats!

GBA

Congrat's nice gobblers, sounds like a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Looks like you guys will be having an early Thanksgiving Dinner :)

))))------->

Thanks guys, I had a great time. When you're doing what you love and having fun......a "cheeseburger" smile is a must. :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

Nice Roy, way to slam those long beards.

Brady Utley
atfirstlightguides.com

>congrats on your acomplishment, are
>those Rios? what kind of
>turkey does CA have?

Thanks....I was very lucky to be able to bowhunt them. These are Rio Grande Turkeys......but the Golden State also has Merriam's as well.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom