Cabelas Microtex pants

BUCKSPY

Very Active Member
For those of you looking for a great early season uninsulated pair of hunting pants, I highly recommend the Cabelas Microtex pants in the outfitter camo. I bought a pair before my Alaska back pack hunt last year and was really impressed with the durability and performance of this fabric.

Its wicking properties were superb when combined with synthetic long underwear or alone in the wet conditions up there.

The fabric in the seat showed minimal wear after 13 days straight of backpacking in the rough country and many hours spent sitting on the abrasive shale stone while glassing. My guide wore Mamut mountaineering pants and was truely impressed with the performance of the Microtex at 30% of the price of the Mamut.

I agree, the stuff works great for backpacking. It dries extreamly fast. It's actually pertty amazing just how fast it will dry...I washed some and when it was done with the spin cycle I went to put it in the dryer and it felt amost dry.

horsepoop.gif

I second that. The only thing I'll point out is that in the Cabelas catalog, it states that Microtex is also extremely wind resistant. I did not find that to be the case. Over all, good product, and great pattern.

WH

Microtex sounds good! Is it quiet? I hunt a lot of brushy stuff for blacktails and I'm always looking for material that is as quiet as possible.

Steve

I stumbled across these pants several years ago, and have been very pleased with them. They're lightweight, quiet, and dry very quickly. I personally think the Outfitters camo is one of the best patterns out there. They work well in warm weather because they're so light. I just bought my second pair last year, not because the first wore out, but because I can barely get the waist button to close anymore...

Getting to be a real gear nut especially bullet proof light weight gear. Cabelas microtex pants are definately all the above. I also really like the outfitter camo pattern. Wear capilene and you have a heck of a good layering system.

Mike

I used them in the high country of Colorado and they were awesome! They block the cold wind indcredibly well and dry quickly when wet.

I wish they (Cabelas) had a better variety of camo patterns, although, the Outfitter Camo blended well. I got lucky, I bought my first set of MicroTex almost 8 years ago when Cableas offered it in Predator grey. Should have bought a couple sets. Good stuff.

AGREE
Excellent early/mid season material. I agree with the question on windproof - not all that great but the best all purpose material I have found to bow hunt with. Very quite for how tough it is and dries about as quick as I have seen. I have ordered the new light weight Rivers West for the latter part of the year - hopefully it does a better job with the wind.

For some reason I can't wear wool. I have to have a couple layers of light weight synthetic that breathes really well. I usually just use old fashened camo fatigues with polypropileene under. Or REI Minstrel (hiking) pants. I have some Rivers West stuff but can only wear it in cold conditions or I get to hot.
I have been wondering how well the microtex breathes?

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

I have never used them! I have a question That is are they as good as gortex other then noise?? I love gortex

Rutnbuck

BUCKSPY (1662 posts)
Jun-28-06, 10:42 AM (MST)
4. "RE: Cabelas Microtex pants"

Wind resistant? Thats what I thought too

thats probly ah no...

I bought a pair for my 3rd season Rifle Elk tag in Colorado. the weather was too warm to have tested any of it's inclement weather abilities but I do have a couple of observations. They are tough and quiet. I did some serious brush busting and they held up fine and were quiet. They have a roomy cut which makes movement up or down good with no binding.

The only complaint I had is the bar tacking on the front pockets, they rub on the synthetic stock of my rifle and made a lot of noise so I had to change the way I slung my rifle. Midway through the week I put some plasti dip on the offending parts and that fixed the problem.

Great Pants,

Beanman

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom