Cache creek bull

6x7

Very Active Member
Well I got the call as the first alternate for the bull tag so I took it,any of you guys ever spend any time in this unit?

Wow, congrats on the tag, if it was east park, I could help, but I'm guessing you should get some help. Look forward to the story/pics. Good luck.
Mike

I put in for eastpark my whole app carrear and changed it up this year,I've seen some monster come out of that east park unit but it has such long odds.

I hunted Deer in that unit years ago and my son and I saw more elk than deer. It was his first buck and a great experience.
Every time we go out there we see elk, haven't seen anything large just a couple of 5x5's but there are elk there.

good luck and shoot straight. LOL

>Any updates?
>Waiting patiently, somewhat..

His season opens oct.14th I believe.. heard through a buddy there was 2 bulls killed in there by a couple of guys, said they were huge whitetail.., yea, whitetail,...guess wardens got them, ticketed, but the meat was spoiled on both bulls, damn shame.
Mike

I used to hike in to CC during the winter to hunt hogs, and turkeys in the spring. The place always held elk, and it was pretty common to find them out in the flat early morning. But the place has burned since I was there last, and with new property has come new and better access. There will be a lot of grass, and I suppose a lot of elk. If there aren't too many people, then you should have a great hunt.

I own the ranch east of hwy 16 that use to be a part of that property. I also leased that whole ranch for the ten years prior to it becoming public ground and know it like the back of my hand. Since the rocky fire the elk have change up their movements and a lot of them stayed north of hwy 20 for a while. I can see quiet a bit of the ranch from my place and will start looking. I haven't started hunting the A-zone yet but will soon. The deer hunters will getting them moving around. The easiest ground to hunt is near cowboy camp. If you want to hunt deeper in the ranch you will need some bodies or horses to pack meat. Maybe we can get together up there some time and look at the maps.

92638img7889.jpg

Spent a lot of time looking for mythical monster bulls I kept hearing about from multiple diffrent sources pre season.After 8 days scouting over diffrent weekends I never saw a single elk while on foot scouting in the interior of the unit all bulls seen were literally from the road.I mean not even a cow in the back country I did jump what was probably a lone bull 4 miles back in but I never saw the animal just a loud crash from 40 yards and a lot more limb breaking and crashes and it was gone.
49130img7580.jpg

99527img7693.jpg

two bulls I seen regularly from the road pre season the one with the good tops was killed by a fella opening day that had hired a guide service.
After all the looking for the monsters and not seeing much I decided opening day to hit another area a deer hunter had told me about where he had seen a couple of nice bulls.First light we were hiking up in a road on the north side of 20 we stoped for a spell to look around and I glassed up a couple bulls south of 20 so we went back down moved spots and hiked in and got on them quick.I can't tell you how many time I had heard to be patient by diffrent guy but let me tell you after not seeing much scouting and having a bull right in front of you with a gun in hand it's tuff.The patients went out the window even though I had the whole two weeks of the season off and I had friends that were going to be around to help.There was one bull in this group that was probably better he was a little wider and not busted up but he was in the thick dead trees behind the one I shot with three other smaller bulls,but who knows if he would have followed the same path as the bull I shot, mine stopped on a open hill side at 375 yards and I just couldn't resist.

>Spent a lot of time looking
>for mythical monster bulls I
>kept hearing about from multiple
>diffrent sources pre season.After
>8 days scouting over diffrent
>weekends I never saw a
>single elk while on foot
>scouting in the interior of
>the unit all bulls seen
>were literally from the road.I
>mean not even a cow
>in the back country I
>did jump what was probably
>a lone bull 4 miles
>back in but I never
>saw the animal just a
>loud crash from 40 yards
>and a lot more limb
>breaking and crashes and it
>was gone.
>
49130img7580.jpg

>
99527img7693.jpg

>two bulls I seen regularly from
>the road pre season the
>one with the good tops
>was killed by a fella
>opening day that had hired
>a guide service.
> After
>all the looking for the
>monsters and not seeing much
>I decided opening day to
>hit another area a deer
>hunter had told me about
>where he had seen a
>couple of nice bulls.First light
>we were hiking up in
>a road on the north
>side of 20 we stoped
>for a spell to look
>around and I glassed up
>a couple bulls south of
>20 so we went back
>down moved spots and hiked
>in and got on them
>quick.I can't tell you how
>many time I had heard
>to be patient by diffrent
>guy but let me tell
>you after not seeing much
>scouting and having a bull
>right in front of you
>with a gun in hand
>it's tuff.The patients went out
>the window even though I
>had the whole two weeks
>of the season off and
>I had friends that were
>going to be around to
>help.There was one bull in
>this group that was probably
>better he was a little
>wider and not busted up
>but he was in the
>thick dead trees behind the
>one I shot with three
>other smaller bulls,but who knows
>if he would have followed
>the same path as the
>bull I shot, mine stopped
>on a open hill side
>at 375 yards and I
>just couldn't resist.

Sh!t, that bull is nothing to sneeze at. Sucks to tag out the opener because you didnt see what you were looking for. You still did well.

As we're we're hiking out I looked back across hwy 20 and saw a elk bedded a mile out so I grabbed the binos and just took a quick look and it was a really wide bull I didn't want to spend much time looking to see how good he was then be haunted by its size.It was pretty crazy how I struggled to see good bulls then on opening day they were all over in this particular place.

That was my first thought That he match your handle.
Got to be happy with him, He's a good Bull.
With only a few tags a year, He will rank up for your biggest one ever.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I own the ranch east of hwy 16 that use to be a part of that property. I also leased that whole ranch for the ten years prior to it becoming public ground and know it like the back of my hand. Since the rocky fire the elk have change up their movements and a lot of them stayed north of hwy 20 for a while. I can see quiet a bit of the ranch from my place and will start looking. I haven't started hunting the A-zone yet but will soon. The deer hunters will getting them moving around. The easiest ground to hunt is near cowboy camp. If you want to hunt deeper in the ranch you will need some bodies or horses to pack meat. Maybe we can get together up there some time and look at the maps.
Hi Blueoak. I drew one of bear valley tags this year. The western boundary of the unit has been moved to cache creek ridge. Curious if you have any pointers or insight? Going to start my scouting first weekend in August.

I’m sure if you call the fish and game in Sacramento you could get in contact with the Biologist that runs that elk herd in that area , I’m pretty sure his first name is Josh

As mentioned above, Josh Bush is the bio up there and will definitely have the best insight. Nearly all the elk are on private, but hopefully he knows of some on the pockets of public land. Good luck!

I am pretty sure that Josh was the biologist that set me up on some Cache Creek elk three or four years ago. I "found" a herd with a nice bull just north of the highway, not one-half mile from the road. It was in a drainage right behind the gravel pit, and from what I can tell, they spent a lot of time in that area--although it is just a hop over the fence onto private. It didn't look like much, but it is certainly worth a look. There is a small parking area just west of the gravel pit.

Hi Blueoak. I drew one of bear valley tags this year. The western boundary of the unit has been moved to cache creek ridge. Curious if you have any pointers or insight? Going to start my scouting first weekend in August.
Unless you have access to private, focus heavily on the area where the boundary changed - the triangle between Hwy 20, Hwy 16, and Cache Creek Ridge - particularly behind Cowboy Camp off of 16.

Unless you have access to private, focus heavily on the area where the boundary changed - the triangle between Hwy 20, Hwy 16, and Cache Creek Ridge - particularly behind Cowboy Camp off of 16.
I saw a really good bull a couple nights ago right off hwy 20!in this triangle 84 Toyota is talking about. Real Framey fella

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom