Cache Intel-Deer

rpinelli

I drew a general deer tag for rifle, any good places to start the hunt? Any recommendations on somewhere to post up camp? First time in Utah.

Thank you in advance.

Good genetics
A lot of hunters
Very few deer past few years.
No real hot spots. Hunters that do OK usually scout a lot and get lucky. Check out areas where water is near. Some public land around hardware ranch is a place to look up blacksmith fork canyon.

I pulled 3 cams that had been out from July 25th.
A total of 4 bucks walked in front of them.
There was a handful of does and on the lower one some elk, cattle and sheep.
Got guys out scouting and hunting on two of the cams.
I'm hoping to move those cams to a new and more productive location next week.

Do you plan on camping on the unit or staying in town?

There was a reason they cut a bunch of tags this year but you might be able to find something.

Do you plan on camping on the unit or staying in town?

There was a reason they cut a bunch of tags this year but you might be able to find something.

I was planning to camp on the unit, several have told me that is the best bet. I looked at some Airbnb’s but I’d rather be out there as much as possible.

Google Earth and OnX will be your friend.
Logan Canyon, and Blacksmith Fork and any tributary off of them will get you started.

As stated you won't be alone but it is possible to see deer.

Just curious. Why did you pick that unit to apply for? Just took a shot in the dark? Easy to draw? Hot tip?

being from Florida and having 30 units to pick one, I’m just wondering how you ended up with this tag

You will see more orange than deer the first weekend. Tons of roads between Logan Canyon and Blacksmith Form Canyon. A few big deer have been shot in this area the last few years however they are usually found by locals who know where they live long before the hunt starts. Success rate is fairly low, bad winter and high cougar kills the last few years. Most hunters will not hike a ton, get away from roads and things will thin out and success is better.

I hunted moose in that unit back in 2010. Saw a few nice bucks. Haven't spent any time there lately, but I'd be happy to share what little bit I know about the area. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

I was given some intel by a few locals I know.

Just curious. Why did you pick that unit to apply for? Just took a shot in the dark? Easy to draw? Hot tip?

being from Florida and having 30 units to pick one, I’m just wondering how you ended up with this tag

Bright side is the tag cuts might make there be a little less pressure. Not so bright side is they cut tags for a reason.

I've spent a lot of time on the Cache and it takes time to learn like most places. I would definitely be talking to your locals as deerkiller said. If they knew enough to send you there, they should know enough to answer your original questions. If you can make it out even for just a couple days to scout, it will make a whole lot of difference.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom