Cache Moose- best hunt dates?

H

HillbillyNnevada

LAST EDITED ON May-27-11 AT 01:42PM (MST)[p]If you only had one week of vacation to spend on a Cache bull moose tag, which week of the season (Sept. 17-25, Oct. 8-20) would you choose based upon the following considerations: weather (probably a warm Sept. vs. snow in Oct.), overlapping season (looks like spike hunt), other moose hunters pressuring and the rut?

I know that is one heck of a question but lets hear your thoughts. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-11 AT 03:04PM (MST)[p]If it were me I would do some big time scouting before Sept. 17 and then pull the trigger at first light. (then hope I had enough bodies to get that big sucker out of there and into a cooler)

Trix,
I am considering that plan but we had a poor experience in September on a prior cow moose hunt. I tagged along on a hunt near Bountiful one year and it was so hot in September that moose were barely showing themselves. We didn't tag the cow until a few snow flurries came in first week of October season.

I would be saving up my vacation time and as you were getting ready to leave for the hunt, give them your two week notice and oh, by the way, tell them you will be using vacation time for those two weeks.

With only one week of vacation I'd probally shoot myself LOL.

My buddy had that tag a few years ago. We scouted all summer and planned on hunting the first week and if needed the last week. We went out the night before opening and spotted one about three miles away. Decided to go back the next morning to see if he was still there and get a better look at him. The hunt was over at about 7:30 AM.

We were in the area again the last week. We saw one bull. He wouldn't even look at it. LOL They are starting to rut the last week so are moving around more.

Good Luck with your hunt. I'm in that area quite a bit, if I see something I'll let you know.

I have helped several people shoot moose up on the Cache unit over the years and had the tag myself. If I had one week to hunt I would probably hunt the first week of the second part of the hunt. The first part of the hunt, the leaves are still on the trees and it is hot, so the bulls don't move very often. The latter part of the hunt the bulls start to rut, and move around more. This makes them easier to glass. In the early part of the hunt we would typically see 3-4 bulls a day. In the last part of the hunt we would see anywhere from 10-15 a day. If you would like some advice on where to go up there shoot me a pm.

Captain is right. I have helped on two moose hunts on the Cache and don't underestimate the value of the leaves off the trees.

It helps a ton.

Grizzly

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom