Cache North Question

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Evening everyone. I’m a non-res living in NC. I have 4 pts and am considering the Cache North unit. I’m not looking for a top UT unit. I’m looking for a unit with a good elk population to give me a chance at a mature 6 pt bull. Any thoughts on this unit and whether it can offer a good hunt would be greatly appreciated. Feel to PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

thanks for the advice! I looked at Manti though and the odds of me drawing it with 4 points are extremely low. I’m trying to find a unit with whole number odds if I can. Even odds like 5% would be ok. I just want a punchers chance. I just want a unit with a healthy elk population where if I hunt hard, can find mature bulls. Don’t have to be giants.

With 4 points make it worth your while to travel across the country and try for Central Manti.

thanks for the advice! I looked at Manti though and the odds of me drawing it with 4 points are extremely low. I’m trying to find a unit with whole number odds if I can. Even odds like 5% would be ok. I just want a punchers chance. I just want a unit with a healthy elk population where if I hunt hard, can find mature bulls. Don’t have to be giants.
There’s a reason cache can be drawn with 4 points. Units that don’t require many points to draw should be a huge red flag, especially for nonresidents

I understand this. However, most people have different bars set for expectations when looking at states like UT and AZ. I’m not looking for a unit where a 300” bull is below average. I’m looking for a unit with a good population where a mature bull can be found with some effort. I like the looks of the terrain in Cache North and the fact that it has a decent amount of wilderness.

There’s a reason cache can be drawn with 4 points. Units that don’t require many points to draw should be a huge red flag, especially for nonresidents

Dont listen to deerkiller. The cache units have plenty of elk and finding a mature bull is possible. The north on the other hand has less access via roads as well as less area compared to the north. It is not forgiving country if you shoot a bull you will earn it.

Add: to be honest with you I wouldn't pick cache north for your first time. It is a unit that is better for someone who knows the unit, I have spent years on it and I am very comfortable talking about elk populations on it as well as cache south. But if it was me in your situation I would shoot more the manti or wasatch units.

Dont listen to deerkiller. The cache units have plenty of elk and finding a mature bull is possible. The north on the other hand has less access via roads as well as less area compared to the north. It is not forgiving country if you shoot a bull you will earn it.

Add: to be honest with you I wouldn't pick cache north for your first time. It is a unit that is better for someone who knows the unit, I have spent years on it and I am very comfortable talking about elk populations on it as well as cache south. But if it was me in your situation I would shoot more the manti or wasatch units.
I never said it was impossible. I said there’s reasons why it’s easier to draw than other units. Calm down

Cache North is a hard unit. Especially with being a NR. I guess if you really want to hunt it put in. As a resident that lived in the Cache valley for 7 years and spent a lot of time up in that area. I would not recommend it for a NR unless you were close and could get some scouting time in.

Evening everyone. I’m a non-res living in NC. I have 4 pts and am considering the Cache North unit. I’m not looking for a top UT unit. I’m looking for a unit with a good elk population to give me a chance at a mature 6 pt bull. Any thoughts on this unit and whether it can offer a good hunt would be greatly appreciated. Feel to PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

Ltsheets, here's my humble 2 cents. I'm headed to Utah this Fall to chase elk. Done tons of research and have enough points to a draw tag. Also spoken to several outfitters. Cache North is a low a probability hunt to draw with 4 points. Without local knowledge it's really a tough hunt. If you decide to enter the draw and your name is pulled, I would hire a local guide. Do you have any prior backcountry Western elk hunting experience?

Last edited:
Not a good unit and chances at what you would like are slight at best. I did the muzzy hunt a few years back after winning a tag. I hunted hard, the whole unit. I have killed my fair share of elk with bow and rifle and helped others. Saw one herd hunting the whole season and a dink of a bull in the herd. Tried calling bulls over from Southside but highway always got in the way. If coming that far you can go to a different unit and have a better experience even for rag horns.

Just remember that 50% of the tags go to everyone and not just max point holders. There are other units you can look into as well.

I have a friend in UT (I'm a KS res) who spends a lot of time riding in the Cache North unit. He would not recommend this unit, even with a guide and stock. I've been on the Unit and echo his recommendations. The unit has low elk numbers and they will not be anywhere you can drive a truck. Additionally, weather and hunting pressure can push animals over the border into Idaho. South Cache is hands down the better Northern Utah unit, but still does not compare to other UT units.
Even though it takes 20 non-res points to draw a bonus tag, I would throw my 4 points into the Manti-Central early rifle.

I lived in NM for almost 5 yrs. I’ve hunted elk and other animals all over the state of NM. I’ve hunted backcountry and wilderness areas before as well as guided some elk and barbary hunts as well.

Ltsheets, here's my humble 2 cents. I'm headed to Utah this Fall to chase elk. Done tons of research and have enough points to a draw tag. Also spoken to several outfitters. Cache North is a low a probability hunt to draw with 4 points. Without local knowledge it's really a tough hunt. If you decide to enter the draw and your name is pulled, I would hire a local guide. Do you have any prior backcountry Western elk hunting experience?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom