Cactus buck

DidIDraw

I'd never seen a cactus buck in person before this year. Found this buck along with 3 other bucks on my last morning hunting during Utah general season.

When I found the bucks I started by stalk. At about half way to my intended spot I heard a vehicle approaching from the other way. My son let me know that the bucks were moving. They made it to a juniper covered hill side before I could get set up. I could catch glimpses of them as they moved across the hill. I had hoped to take one of the two larger bucks that were in the group but this was the first buck to provide and open, standing, broadside shot.

Super cool buck. His teeth are quite worn down, maybe 3-4mm from the gum line so I believe he was an older buck. The local taxidermist said in the 25 years he's been there, he has not seen or heard of a cactus buck coming from that area.

20211030_083523.jpg

I'd never seen a cactus buck in person before this year. Found this buck along with 3 other bucks on my last morning hunting during Utah general season.

When I found the bucks I started by stalk. At about half way to my intended spot I heard a vehicle approaching from the other way. My son let me know that the bucks were moving. They made it to a juniper covered hill side before I could get set up. I could catch glimpses of them as they moved across the hill. I had hoped to take one of the two larger bucks that were in the group but this was the first buck to provide and open, standing, broadside shot.

Super cool buck. His teeth are quite worn down, maybe 3-4mm from the gum line so I believe he was an older buck. The local taxidermist said in the 25 years he's been there, he has not seen or heard of a cactus buck coming from that area.

View attachment 57035
Dang the body on that guy looks huge!

Cool trophy. I think I’ve seen a couple cactus bucks in my time, but never taken one. Congrats

Did he have his nuts? That's one cause of cactus horns.
His male parts were very, very small. Maybe the size of a single peanut and they were up right next to his penis (which was also very, very small). Didn't look like an injury, just grew that way.

I've seen dozens of these bucks over the years, killed one in Colorado back in '17. He was normal framed 3x4 full velvet 27" wide and giant body.

Didn't realize he was still in velvet till after I shot him, from 350 yards he looked like a giant, 30" wide with a ton of mass and dwarfed the does and fawns around him. But the velvet made him look bigger then he really was. Oh well that's hunting, still one of the biggest bodied deer I have killed.

His nuts were similar to yours, really small peanut sized.

Here is a picture of him.
IMG_20171023_205043_777.jpg
IMG_20171030_143356_322.jpg

I've seen dozens of these bucks over the years, killed one in Colorado back in '17. He was normal framed 3x4 full velvet 27" wide and giant body.

Didn't realize he was still in velvet till after I shot him, from 350 yards he looked like a giant, 30" wide with a ton of mass and dwarfed the does and fawns around him. But the velvet made him look bigger then he really was. Oh well that's hunting, still one of the biggest bodied deer I have killed.

His nuts were similar to yours, really small peanut sized.

Here is a picture of him.View attachment 57299View attachment 57298
"HIS NUTS WERE SIMILAR TO YOURS, REALLY SMALL PEANUT SIZED."... gave me a chuckle Jake. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have never heard of a cactus buck tasting different. Is this really true?
It tastes a bit stronger than the buck in got in Sept this year but it isn't bad at all (I bottled some of the meat and that seems to have removed much of the gamey smell/taste). It maybe isn't quite as musky tasting as a late Oct buck usually is. I got a buck in the same area last year on Nov 6 and it was horrible tasting- very gamey. I suppose that the different hormones could change the taste of the meat a bit. Probably a bunch of other factors as well.

Eig
It tastes a bit stronger than the buck in got in Sept this year but it isn't bad at all (I bottled some of the meat and that seems to have removed much of the gamey smell/taste). It maybe isn't quite as musky tasting as a late Oct buck usually is. I got a buck in the same area last year on Nov 6 and it was horrible tasting- very gamey. I suppose that the different hormones could change the taste of the meat a bit. Probably a bunch of other factors as well.
Right on. That's interesting as I have e never heard that. Thanks for the reply and congrats on a unique buck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom