Cali draw

YEH! maybe I can go 3 for 3 again, more and still......and maintain my max points for sheep, elk and antelope!

SEEMS A LOT OF US HAVE MAX POINTS FOR SHEEP, ELK, & ANTELOPE.....KIND OF MAKES ME WONDER IF ANY OF US WILL EVER DRAW. LOL.........ME INCLUDED..................YD.

"SEEMS A LOT OF US HAVE MAX POINTS FOR SHEEP, ELK, & ANTELOPE.....KIND OF MAKES ME WONDER IF ANY OF US WILL EVER DRAW"

Unfortunately a lot never will.

If you outlive the rest and they keep the system as is.... But one thing for sure, most will die before drawing elk or sheep!

Sad sad system I'm only 25 and not sure if I should even start building elk or antelope. I know I can't build deer points much passed 4 i burn them to fast.lol

The system only changes the distribution of those who draw, not the fact that demand is higher than supply by hundreds to one for those high demand tags. A big game hunting life might be 50 to 70 years? You start at 12. Most are done by the time that are in their 80's. That is why most will draw before dying.

Anyway, last year they posted on Thursday June 13. I'm betting Thursday June 12 this year.

What number is considered max points for deer? And elk max points?
Yes hope they put them up early but then again this is screwed up california fish and game.

>What number is considered max points
>for deer? And elk max
>points?
>Yes hope they put them up
>early but then again this
>is screwed up california fish
>and game.

12 is max. Dfw website says they will be posted on the 13th.

Fishingkid,
The odds in California definetly suck, but you never know when the draw gods will shine on you. I have drawn sheep,antelope twice and tule elk. When you do draw one of those hunts you will enjoy every minute of it.

Good luck in the draw!

Rick

I live in SoCal currently have 2 deer points in Cali and drew a Nevada deer tag this year. I am interested in applying for a elk tag or building points for one just not sure if I should invest in Cali, Nevada or Utah? Fairly new to this draw stuff can be confusing learning other states systems. Just barely figured out the Cali deer system.

I dont think its worth it to build or apply for elk in ca. The cost for the tag is about what you pay for a elk tag out of state ,in some cases more than out of state tags.Plus building points every year, seems like a real bind me over. tule elk not much more than a rag rocky. You Cant tell the differance once the elk is mounted or horns cut off. Deer is good , if you draw a x hunt you may finally kill a buck. Sheep I will allways take a chance , but more than not its just a donation. What will happen if they cut the state into two or three states , say good by sheep hunts and money spent on points. Thats my 2 cents on it and I will take the other money and go out of state and hunt every year.

If you are a resident... it is a no brainer to apply for and try to draw sheep and elk every year. You are only risking the price of a combo meal at a burger bar if going hunting anyway. Deer, do a reasonable odds hunt that cycles in a few years.... but I doubt I would apply in CA as a nonresident.

You should definitely start now. Look at a California elk or pronghorn hunt as a once-in-a-lifetime hunt that you will take at retirement age when the rest of us are dead and out of your way. And, if you're serious about hunting, then start looking out-of-state (or, better yet, move). Hang in there!

My opinion is unless you know you can dedicate time to a sheep or elk hunt in california don't apply unless you are maintaining max points. There are so few sheep and elk tags the random odds don't really change much. And you will never catch the point leaders with this stupid point system

I'm a point system fan just not this one.

For hunts of say 100 tags or more it's ok but for hunts with less tags your screwed

IF I WERE A NON RESIDENT, I WOULD ONLY APPLY IN CALIFORNIA IF I NEEDED A DESERT SHEEP FOR MY SLAM....OR A TULE ELK FOR MY ELK SLAM. GOOD LUCK GUYS NEXT WEEK IN THE DRAW !!!.............YD.

Odds are they will change the draw system someday when the max points holders voice gets small enough and complaints get loud enough. Anybody's guess as to what they will change to, but NV's bonus points squared setup seems to be the most liked. If they go that way, less than max points built up now might mean something. Just something to consider.....

>Odds are they will change the
>draw system someday when the
>max points holders voice gets
>small enough and complaints get
>loud enough. Anybody's guess as
>to what they will change
>to, but NV's bonus points
>squared setup seems to be
>the most liked. If they
>go that way, less than
>max points built up now
>might mean something. Just something
>to consider.....

I have max points but like the NV bonus point system. IMO they should offer more than one NR elk, sheep, and pronghorn tag but need to put a quota on NR premium deer tags. I can't think of one state I apply in that doesn't have a NR quota on deer tags. What's fair is fair...

Horniac

Points and type of draw system in CA are meaningless. Most people will never draw any premium tag before hunting is banned in CA.

"Points and type of draw system in CA are meaningless. Most people will never draw any premium tag before hunting is banned in CA."

Huh? Everybody i know that puts in yearly and built points has drawn "premium" tag(s) including myself with three in the last ten years and maybe a nice X zone muley tag this year as well.

Points make all the difference in the Muley and Antelope game. Sheep and Elk were always and always will be a very long odds event no matter what "system", or lack of is in place.

Those that gripe the most often have the most to gain from any change, either for themselves or family members. Those that don't want to play or put in only for the Holy Grail hunts, made their own minds up to ignore the benefits of the system.

It's easy to complain of the system and no doubt it's not a perfect fit for everyone but i'm for keeping what we have in place. In the mean time, we ALL can again hunt Bucks here in Calif this year if we want to.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

so what kind of odds would a NR have for a few of the premium tags in Cali. I wonder how many NR put in for the Top Unit tags and what their odds are to draw that tag.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>so what kind of odds would
>a NR have for a
>few of the premium tags
>in Cali. I wonder how
>many NR put in for
>the Top Unit tags and
>what their odds are to
>draw that tag.
>

I have never seen the draw odds broken down to show Resident vs NR applicants so there is no way to calculate the NR draw odds for Sheep, Antelope, and Elk. Suffice it to say, since there is only 1 NR tag available for these species this year, the odds IMO are slim to none for a NR.

Since there is no NR quota for deer a NR has the same draw odds as a Resident as listed in the CA Hunting Digest. The drawing odds for what are generally considered the the top 2 or 3 premium deer units are less than .5% without max points and only between 4% and approx 20% even with max points...

Horniac

Two things, one being go back to a wait period if you do draw a Lope, Elk or Sheep tag...Other states do it and we used to...

Second, if you're a non-resident you should apply and build what points you can...However if you're a resident and leave the state with your points, especially Max, you're in way better shape...

'Ike'

>Points and type of draw system
>in CA are meaningless. Most
>people will never draw any
>premium tag before hunting is
>banned in CA.

Only guy who gets it.

There's really not much of a chance to draw so I wish about 90 percent of the people with max points would just give up and stop applying. LOL!!!

I just read on DFW web site that it will be posted online by June 20th. People are hoping sooner, including myself. I am chomping at the bit to see the results. I have Max Points for 3 species!

Mike

Q: How and when can I find out if I was drawn for a tag in the Big Game Drawing?

A:On June 20,2014, the drawing results will be available online or by contacting CDFW License Sales Offices.

Rick7m, damn you've drawn some good tags, including sheep.

For those of you inclined to know as early as possible, check out the website this Friday, I'm hoping for Thursday, but have been cautioned not to get my hopes up.

I like the system as you can draw a decent tag every 3-4 years, excluding elk and antelope. I don't play the sheep game, it's a lose lose situation IMO. If I get drawn I'd have to fork over some guiding $$$, of which I don't have.

"DRAWING RESULTS
The CDFW has 10 business days to conduct the drawing, after the completion of the drawing; the CDFW expects to post the drawing results by mid-June. Applicants may look up their drawing results by entering their customer information on CDFW?s website at www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols and click on ?View My Draw Application/Preference Points? at the top of the page. Applicants will also see their new preference point totals by clicking on the tab ?Preference Point.? On the same day, drawing results will be available by phone during regular business hours from CDFW license sales offices"

I knew i saw 10 days some where so hopefully by Friday before i go on vacation.

Deadlines and results dates according to my records. I believe the ALS (i.e. on-line apps) was implemented in 2011...

Deadline Results

6/2/10. 6/22/10
6/2/11. 6/16/11
6/2/12. 6/14/12
6/2/13. 6/13/13
6/2/14. 6/??/14

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

As I recall the last few years it's been posted in the early morning hours. So I guess early Thursday morning or Friday at the latest

>Friday's the 13th...BAD LUCK for some!!
>

I don't think my luck can get much worse this year as far as drawing tags goes! Bring it on might it might change my luck for the better...

Horniac

>Good then I can finalize all
>my vacation time.

I agree I wish they could have posted them around the same time as Nevada. Wish they could switch the Cali system to the Nevada system and the dates haha. I drew a Nevada tag for this year so if I draw my first choice Cali tag ill really be switching some work stuff around to make it happen. Ill be saving all my vacation time if that's the case

"So who is going to stay up all night hitting the refresh button?"

I'll do it i'm working graves anyways.LOL

I usaully stay up til midnight check then hit the sack tomorrow's my Friday so I'm sure ill be up checking. I'm hoping my cousin I put in for jr tags draws. The poor kid hasn't hunted big game he has a little interest in hunting need a good tag to spark a fire under his ass to start hunting more get him off those dam video games.i feel bad for his dad who has a passion for the out doors but can't even bribe the kid to go fish or hunt with him.only way he will go is if I talk him into it. Hoping to just put him on atleast a doe make it a fun enjoyable hunt one to remember in hopes to turn him from the gamer he is.

I did same for my son on jr hunts and he got drawn
for antelope and placed a perfect shot qtr way trotted and shot right in boilers..
it did nothing to spark more interest in hunting so
now I just put him in deer points hoping after college
he will try again ...can't force it ..he's will hate it!
Just need to let it go..kids are different no and days.
Jester

Well we will see what happens the kid drew his jr tag I put him in for. He turns 14 this year during his deer season I guess ill see if a birthday deer can change the kid a little. It's my last ditch effort to try helping him haha if that don't work it's up to his dad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom