Caliber Thoughts

TerynItUp

I think this year is probably the year to build a nice rifle setup for me. I have been shooting a Browning A-bolt chambered in .270 Win. for two decades now and it has treated me really well but I’d like to get something with a little more performance.

A few things to consider/know…I haven’t applied for a rifle elk hunt in the last 20 years, strictly archery elk. Mule deer are my passion, killing a 200” deer is a very serious goal of mine and I am usually hunting in Colorado every other year with a rifle in hand hoping to see my dream buck. I apply for archery deer hunts as 2nd and 3rd choices here in NM but am usually swinging for the fences for a good rifle tag with my first choice.

I’m not a big gun guy, but I’d like something I am comfortable with out to 600 yards in the event that I am presented with that rare chance at a B&C buck. I’ve had some big deer in my scope before but couldn’t pull the trigger because they were further than I was confident with holding my .270.

I’m looking at a .257 wby or 7PRC. I understand that and I am limiting myself with the .257 but I have also read that it really is the perfect deer rifle. 7PRC can probably do a lot more but I like the idea of a lightning fast caliber with minimal recoil that my kids and wife could easily shoot.

Thoughts?

Your .270 has more than enough power to kill at 600 yards if you hit the right spot.

I would suggest upgrading your optics, or, spending the cash on ten or twelve boxes of ammo and go out and practice in some real hunting scenarios. Sounds like you know your gun, time to master it.

You’re absolutely right about optics, my a-bolt has rocked the same 3-9 Burris since I first got it. Don’t get me wrong, I really like this rifle, but like Soj51 said, I’m really just looking for a reason to buy a pretty slick new rifle.

You’re absolutely right about optics, my a-bolt has rocked the same 3-9 Burris since I first got it. Don’t get me wrong, I really like this rifle, but like Soj51 said, I’m really just looking for a reason to buy a pretty slick new rifle.
All about your optics and trajectory!
Federal Premium terminal ascent is second to none in lethal performance. Especially confident in that bullet out of the .270
My wife stoned several bulls with Federals bonded series bullets in her .270 .
Last one was 375 n did not take a step.

NOW …. If you want an excuse for a new rifle for that barb hunt,
28 nozler…. Don’t even look at another rifle if your willing to spend some money.

Something that hits hard at 600 yards is not going to be a light recoiling gun for your wife and kid. Pick what is most important to you and go from there. With a good brake there are some great cartridges that will perform at long range and still be manageable for smaller shooters though. I like at least a .277 caliber for deer. Some good options for 600 yards would be the 270 WSM, 280 Ackley, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm PRC, 300 WSM, or 300 Win mag. Bullet weight is a huge factor in recoil so avoid the real heavy ones. 150's in .277, 160-168's in 7mm, and 180's in 30 caliber are great choices for 600 yards and under.

most have said it a 270 is fine. Upgrading your optics would be the #1 in my book. Do you reload? If not spend the money to buy multiple different brands of ammo and really see what shoots good.

7 PRC is a great round I’d rather shoot the higher end of the bullet range with it tho due to ballistics. Just put a larger brake on it and wear muffs. Going to build a 7-6.5prcw for next year to take advantage of the 180 bullet but knock down some of the recoil for next year.

The 270 is a great round. Flat shooting and perfect for deer. I agree with the other posts. I have a tikka in 7mag that I had no confidence in with the break in on factory loads. I did a ladder on various powders with the bullet I wanted and found the sweet spot. It became a tack driver and I’m happy to shoot 600 with confidence. I’d spent the money to build your gun and skills.

I've got the 270 tikka t3x with muzzle brake that I absolutely love ...I'm actually looking into getting the 7mag do you recommend this rifle??

I’m biased seeing as I have a 7 PRC and I love it. Mines been crazy accurate with affordable factory ammo. Between myself, buddies, and clients it’s killed 4 bears, 6 deer, an elk, and a few desert sheep in the last year, and the majority of those were one shot kills. Closest shot was 30’, furthest shot was 630 yards.

28 !!!!! With an area 419 break!
28 Nosler is king!! I’ve never been a fan of 6. Anything! 7 prc is a great cartridge but still just will NOT out perform a 28!

7PRC if you're not a reloader. it's a perfect all-around cartridge for all species, not big recoil but you will want a muzzle break for wife and kids though.

257 WB is a barrel burner, likely can shoot out a barrel in 600-1000 rds. But its a fun gun and if you don't care about the cost of ammo and barrel life it's a great deer gun. Not my first choice for elk but it will work.

I think the moral to this story is buy both.

I've got the 270 tikka t3x with muzzle brake that I absolutely love ...I'm actually looking into getting the 7mag do you recommend this rifle??
I love mine. My buddy has one in 7mag that is accurate with factory ammo. With mine I was struggling with accuracy until I developed a load she loved. Pushing a 168 VLD 2930. Light and super accurate.

Being effective in the field at 600 yards is going to take some practice and some different gear particularly scope.

It’s not as easy as it looks on YouTube; it’s not just twisting a dial.

More recoil=harder to shoot accurately, this is a fact..muzzle break masks the recoil but does not change the physics.

I’d pick something with moderate to low recoil, easy to reload or good factory ammo, and keep impact velocity 2000 or better at 600 yards depending on the bullet.

Plan on spending as much on ammo to become proficient as you do on the gun or the scope alone..

I think this year is probably the year to build a nice rifle setup for me. I have been shooting a Browning A-bolt chambered in .270 Win. for two decades now and it has treated me really well but I’d like to get something with a little more performance.

A few things to consider/know…I haven’t applied for a rifle elk hunt in the last 20 years, strictly archery elk. Mule deer are my passion, killing a 200” deer is a very serious goal of mine and I am usually hunting in Colorado every other year with a rifle in hand hoping to see my dream buck. I apply for archery deer hunts as 2nd and 3rd choices here in NM but am usually swinging for the fences for a good rifle tag with my first choice.

I’m not a big gun guy, but I’d like something I am comfortable with out to 600 yards in the event that I am presented with that rare chance at a B&C buck. I’ve had some big deer in my scope before but couldn’t pull the trigger because they were further than I was confident with holding my .270.

I’m looking at a .257 wby or 7PRC. I understand that and I am limiting myself with the .257 but I have also read that it really is the perfect deer rifle. 7PRC can probably do a lot more but I like the idea of a lightning fast caliber with minimal recoil that my kids and wife could easily shoot.

Thoughts?
270 is big enough and fast enough...600 yds is way far...study your ballistics, KNOW your drops then start shooting targets...if you are already confident in your gun stay with it...bullet placement is the key...dont worry about your wife and kids...its just one shot and they wont remember the recoil...haha

Thoughts?
Dangit. Your 270 handles your needs. I use a 129 grain Barnes LRX and use superformance powder to launch it at 3150 to 3250 fps, depending on the gun. I've killed several elk with it, all pretty much one shot kills. Plenty of energy and expansion at 600 yards. But the 7mm PRC will give you a bit more power and BC/range if you don't mind the extra recoil. If you want a small step up from the 270, the 280 AI is a helluva elk slayer. I'd honestly stick wth the 270. My wife, daughter, son, and I all shoot em and between us we own 6 of them. The 300 WSM gathers dust....

I’m starting to wonder if my wife knows more about shooting sports than I realized and runs around on monster muleys with like 4 different handles…either that or her influence is far wider than I realized and she has gotten to you all!

Seriously, thanks for the honest input fellas. Been very helpful.

I thought I needed a new deer rifle last year and bought a 270 WSM. Your 270 is a great deer rifle with a new Night Force on it is probably all you need. But it is fun looking at and buying new hunting rifles.

.257 wby is unbeatable for a fast, flat deer rifle with low recoil. 110 accubond has more than enough energy for elk at ranges under 300 and I’ve carried mine on more elk hunts than my old .308.

After 10 years of the .257 wby being my go to I decided I wanted a little more knockdown in case I had a longer shot at a big bull and bought a high end .270 wby with nicer glass. It’s amazing and you should consider that caliber. 140 accubond will do it all out to 500 or so which is a LONG shot for 99% of hunters. It has a nice brake and the recoil is actually lighter than my .257. In the last three years it’s killed two elk (one of which was a big bull), a Dall, a desert bhs, and an oryx. It knocked them all down well at ranges from 275-375 yards.

Wbys are 1000 shot barrels (max) so I do most of my practice shooting with heavy barrel .308 to minimize ammo and barrel cost. Then I’ll run 40-60 shots through the wby for final shot prep. You can’t use a wby to become a skilled long range shooter unless you have a ton of money!!

If I had to choose between the two it would easily be the .270 even though I love the .257 and thought it was unbeatable for a decade.

getting a 6.5 prc seems silly since you have a rifle in a caliber that ballisticly are similar.

I’d do a weatherby 257 if it were me with the wife and kids in the mix + the target would be a deer. 3600 fps is hard to argue against.

Edit: just saw the .270wby- that’s a good wild card! That or a 28 nosler. All in the need for speed category.

I love the quarter bores. I bought my wife a .257 Ackley and we love it. I doubt I would try to shoot a big Muley at 600 yards with it but it has great ballistics with heavy bullets. My choice would be a 7mm. A 160 grain bullet fired at close to 3000 fps from a 7mm whatever is definitely lethal at 600 yards if the shooter is up to the task. My personal rifle is a 7mm REM Mag. Good luck making the choice for a new rifle.

Love my 270 WSM but very hard to find ammo and when you do find it it's $100 a box . There for a few years I could not find it or 300RUM . It's finally starting to show up in a few places.

I’m loving my 6.5 prc. I also have a 6.5 creedmoor and a 7mm mag, and my go to for everything has been the prc. Very confident in the rifles ability for both elk and mule deer.

I use a pre64 model 70 .270 Winchester, with 130 grain Nosler partition with a max load of reloader 22. It doesn’t have the best BC, velocity but dam does it kill!!! Furthest shot was 487 yards on a bull elk. Hit behind the shoulder and dropped instantly. Bullet was found on the off side next to the hide.

I've actually been pondering this very thing and have read all the info and watched all of the YouTubers on the 7 PRC, and have come really close to getting one for myself. But now I'm also hearing that reported velocities may be a little exaggerated, so before I spend the cash I want to shoot one through my own chronograph, including testing whether the higher BC bullets are as slippery through the air as advertised.

I love my WSMs, but I'm lucky that I reload, because post COVID I can't find WSMs on the shelves anymore. That experience makes me apprehensive about whether the PRCs will go the same way.

If the 7 PRC really is as good as it's hype (which should be easy enough to test), and the future is chock full of available good off-the-shelf 7PRC factory ammo (not so easy to know), then I think it would be a great investment in all of your future hunts.

But proceed with caution, and keep your 270 around just like I've kept my 7 RemMag.

I kinda think caliber consideration is over thought. Dead is dead. My buddy who was a sniper in the army still shoots a 308 and everything is dead with one shot at longer distances than I am willing to shoot.
That being said, I just bought a new rifle. I got a 300 win mag again. Could not see any really good reason to change from it. When I was told the PRC rounds were actually less money I kinda regretted it, but, not much. I dont think I ever flubbed a shot or wounded an animal that I had to track because of the caliber. There is a half dozen no brainer calibers and the shooting industry needs to come up with new ones every few years to get rifles sold.

Just one man’s opinion and experiences here… I build rifles for myself, family, and hunting clients. Here is my opinion on the best cartridges. If you reload, add freebore and get more out of the case. With .188” freebore, a 7 REM mag can perform close to 28 Nosler with less powder, and less recoil.

30 Nosler
7 Rem Mag
6.5 PRC

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom