calif agriculture?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
i pulled this off MSNBC website. Just FYI, :)

More than half of the country's vegetables, fruits and nuts are grown in the Golden State.
Only in California
Products exclusively grown in the state include almonds, artichokes, dates, figs, kiwifruit, olives, persimmons, pistachios, prunes, raisins, clovers and walnuts.
Land of dairy
Milk and cream are the top commodities, bringing in at least $3.7 billion a year.
Nation's salad bowl
While California leads the nation in strawberry production, it also grows a large percentage of other crops. Among them:
?Artichokes: 19 percent
?Asparagus: 55 percent
?Broccoli: 93 percent
?Cabbage: 22 percent
?Carrots: 89 percent
?Celery: 94 percent
?Garlic: 86 percent
?Lettuce: 78 percent
?Cantaloupe: 54 percent
?Honeydew: 73 percent
?Onions: 27 percent
?Bell Peppers: 47 percent
?Spinach: 18 percent
?Tomatoes: 94 percent
?Almond: 99 percent
?Apricots: 95 percent
?Avocados: 84 percent
?Strawberries: 90 percent
?Dates: 82 percent
?Figs: 98 percent
?Grapes: 88 percent
?Kiwi: 97 percent
?Lemons: 89 percent
?Nectarines: 93 percent
?Olives: 100 percent
?Peaches: 76 percent
?Pistachios: 96 percent
?Plums: 93 percent
?Walnuts: 99 percent
?Honey: 18 percent
?Milk and cream: 21 percent

Not bad i'd say! Joey

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-09 AT 12:05PM (MST)[p]...better get on board Joey....

http://www.downsizeca.org/Home_Page.html

Ca30001small.jpg

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

What to do. It is the same on the Mt lion issue and politics in general. If the San Adreas would just come through for us. Bet we'd out number THEM then.

JB may be onto something here. The same people who vote anti hunting and gun control are the people this group of farmers are not fond of.

Where do we sign up? Always thought the Owens Valley should secede to Nevada, but this would accomplish the same thing.
Thanks, Doug.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-09 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]I'm gonna do a little research, but definatley considering giving them a call. Was'nt there something about 10 years ago where some people wanted to divide the state into north and south? Anyways, what do we get for taking San Diego?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

We gotta get the border hardway.....where else we gonna get lettuce pickers and irrigators??

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yeah Hardway, i remember when there was talk of two different states. I was all for it at the time and would be again. Seems to me, the proposed border was somewhere not too far south of Sacramento...not sure though.

D13r, Don't need the south of the border boys to move pipe! I moved miles of it every day and liked it. I work armed Security for a nuclear power plant at night and moved pipe in the mornings, then jumped on the tractor until i was plum tuckered. I got $2.50 hr. moving pipe and $3. while driving tractor. Between farming and the other job, i saved enough to buy my first house $37,500. a small fortune at the time, 1977. Money was easy to save back then, i never had time to spend it! :)

Joey

Now that I think about it, I guess it would be better to be in control of the border rather than let someone else screw it up. I guess if there willing to take the govenator back San Diego would'nt be so bad.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

eelgrass said; "Joey, that's a pretty impressive list. And it doesn't even include marijuana."

Yeah Buddy! I guess cause it's more of a "cash crop" :)

I grew up pretty much in the day of weed, got nothing against it, don't do it myself but still have productive, socially accepted friends that do.

An ol hippy buddy of mine once said "moderation is the key in most anything you smoke, ingest or swallow" If a guy is going to do any of it, i expect my old bud was right.

Joey

BTW, I noticed that there's no RICE on that list either. We got to be big in that as well!

Also missing feed crops like Corn (silage and sweet), alfalfa, and oats. No sunflowers, no cotton, dont think I saw beans or beats either.....wtf

"cotton"....someone still has enough money to grow cotton ???

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>"cotton"....someone still has enough money to
>grow cotton ???

They still grow alot around Firebaugh all the way down to Bakersfield. I think selling the cotton seed to the dairies has become the #1 product though.

Hardway, where are you from?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

...And speaking of cotton.

You know why Black people have a hard time getting over their headaches?

They're too proud to pick the cotton out of the aspirin bottle. :D

Joey

>Hardway, where are you from?
>
Ceres/Westly, CA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom