Calif. elk Hunters

ducksbucksandbulls

Any one want to kill an old big bull?
Do you have max points?
The avg. age bull in the northwestern hunt in 2008 was 8 years old. (7.5 really) they killed 15 bulls, the oldest being 15 years old.
i got the info off the Ca. dept fish & game web page.
Elk tooth data.. it shows age of bulls and cows killed on all of the hunts...
I was trying to look up the age of my bull from 2009 but there not available yet. But by far, the NW hunt is tops.
Also, I talked to the Biologist up in eureka and he told me that a huge elk was spotted on the del norte hunt area, alive and well and maybe a record book top entre.
I've killed a couple of bulls in the last 10 years in ca, so I hope this info helps someone looking for a big roosevelt elk decide which unit to apply for. Caution, lots of private land on the NW hunt.
Bulls,

I too have max points on Elk, sheep, and lopes.

Even with max points, to my knowledge, the odds are long and hard against drawing. Somebody has to draw though! :)

Joey

I already drew out!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

points help but being lucky is better. My wife drew the lassen Lope tag last year with 2 freaken points...WTF why can't I be lucky.

Larry said, "Joey, I bet you draw a lope tag this year. Are you putting in for the Lassen zone?"

Sure would be Nice Larry! I love bets like that, i can't lose either way. :)

Hey, Happy Easter everybody!!

Joey

I got max points for elk but I put in for the Hunter Liggett Tule Elk hunt. It's just an hour and a half away and there won't be a bunch of yahoos on the base screwing up the hunt. I'm planning on getting drawn this year....

Steve

wiz? have you ever hunted ligget for anything before? i wouldnt count on yahoo's not messing you up ,,,,,, although i've not hunted elk there before ,,,,,,,, i've been messed up plenty of times there

Tyler- We used to hunt the antlerless hunt there when I was first started hunting. I don't ever recall any other hunters doing stupid stuff to screw up our hunt. I've never hunted there during the regular A zone season though. I figure they manage the amount of hunters per area there but I haven't been there for years. I guess it would be possible for people to leave their designated areas to pound a different area. What kind of issues did you have?

Steve

Wiz, i see no fault with your plan. A tule Elk, to me, ranks right up there with a sheep tag. There's just not very much opportunity, other than landowner tags, to get one. The Rosie and Rockey Mtn Elk can always be gotten down the road but a Tule Elk, that's special!

Joey

wiz,,,,,,, the deer season can be a zoo i've been overan by turkey guys when i've been looking for pigs have had turkey guys stay up all night drinking at the campground (made the mistake of trying to pig hunt on the spring turk opener once) i'll never do that again ,,,,,, have stood in line for 4 plus hours to get a deer area during the general deer season ,,, but the worse thing was they can close the base as they see fit during manuvers when that happens you simply cant go ,,, if you havent been in awhile it will more than likely be busier than you remember, although it seems like during elk they close it to all else? i cant remember for sure ,,,,,,, with all that being said i'd sure go if i got the tag i've seen some monster bulls there

Tyler just curious, how have you done recently pig hunting there? Also deer? Have a property close to there and always wanted to give it a try.

I haven't hunted there since I was 14 or 15...so it's been about 23 years! I'm sure things have changed. I never thought they'd put up with any yahoos in there but I guess I am wrong. I dont know if they close all other hunting areas to make way for the elk hunters. It would be nice if they did. I actually was thinking of heading up there this deer season. The bad thing is that it gets hotter than hell there.

Steve

its been 3 or 4 years since i've been on base,,,, friend of mine did get a pig i didnt,,,, they are there,,,, i missed a very nice 3 pt last year i did deer have shot birds quail and dove,, theres quite a few animals on the base no doubt,,,, but it can get busier than you might think sometimes certain areas can be closed and you cant get spread out as much , and its weekends only and sometimes they close it during the season (that happened one deer season to me) i wonder if they have changed how they do the deer areas? they were giving out numbers with the lowest numbers first,,,, you could go on wed or thurs and get your number ,,,, i waited in line one thursday morning at the gate to get in was 10 or 15 cars in front of me and by the time i got my number i was in the high 300's they were letting guys get numbers for there buddy's buddy's relitives and that sucked,,,,, i heard that they were going to change that system not sure if they did because i havent been back

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]Hey steve. Did you see that 2008 harvest stats were 0% for the bull. I wonder if it was due to a closure? I might call and find out. I did see about 15 elk this weekend while I was up there.

The 0% success rate was a printing error. We corrected it on our web page but most people only read the booklet. It should have read 100% success rate.

Joe

I've killed a couple of bulls in the last 10 years in ca, so I hope this info helps someone looking for a big roosevelt elk decide which unit to apply for. Caution, lots of private land on the NW hunt.

Wow.....how can "you" be so lucky to draw Calif. bull tags at least twice in 10 years? I have never drawn a bull tag in 12 years of applying! What's your secret?
PB

I play the odds game. Best odds to draw = tags.
I'm lucky too.

I don't apply for the Grizzly hunt, waste of time in my book.
They give those to retiring DFG persons anyway.

>I play the odds game. Best
>odds to draw = tags.
>
>I'm lucky too.
>
>I don't apply for the Grizzly
>hunt, waste of time in
>my book.
>They give those to retiring DFG
>persons anyway.

Ya those Ca grizz tags are hard to come by.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom