Calif. sheep hunts

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Getting close to the end for the lucky few that drew. Have not heard how season went so far. One report is a friend of a friend who is down there now and not having any luck. Anyone have any stories?

My wife's hunt was a great experience, now I just need to figure out how to draw a tag myself this year in any state that will give me one!
I put a couple of pictures in this forum, " wife's desert sheep"
Just looked it up, great ram she shot. Was the the Newberry unit?

I was thinking the same thing. If you go to the Dry Creek Outfitters Facebook page they have some recent photos rams they took.

Getting close to the end for the lucky few that drew. Have not heard how season went so far. One report is a friend of a friend who is down there now and not having any luck. Anyone have any stories?
What unit is he hunting?

A good friend of mine drew a tag for the Whites this year. We located only 3 rams that met the minimum horn length to be legally taken in CA. My friend chose to pass on the smallest of the three which ended up being taken by one of the other hunters several days later. We did manage to locate and get an opportunity at a very respectable ram later in the hunt….but unfortunately my friend failed to connect on the shot…oh well. Only the one ram was taken this year from the pool of 6 tag holders.

Here’s a photo of the ram taken by one of the other tag holders:
49344C6D-4855-4538-A7B5-EAE429BBDCC5.jpeg

This next photo is of the ram my friend missed. (Lead ram on left):

DE403ECD-4124-4BD0-89D5-829F54B467CE.jpeg

A good friend of mine drew a tag for the Whites this year. We located only 3 rams that met the minimum horn length to be legally taken in CA. My friend chose to pass on the smallest of the three which ended up being taken by one of the other hunters several days later. We did manage to locate and get an opportunity at a very respectable ram later in the hunt….but unfortunately my friend failed to connect on the shot…oh well. Only the one ram was taken this year from the pool of 6 tag holders.

Here’s a photo of the ram taken by one of the other tag holders:
View attachment 137289

This next photo is of the ram my friend missed. (Lead ram on left):

View attachment 137291
If I remember right Pacer1975 was one one of the other tag holders who shot the smaller ram?

Bummer your buddy missed the shot on his only opportunity at a mature ram. Sounds like a brutal sheep hunt…

Horniac

Too bad on the Whites and the loss of rams. Great country. Known two guys that had the tag years back and killed wonderful sheep. May have to research some new units.

It looks like he passed on some decent rams.
Only one he passed on was killed by another hunter several days later. It was pretty small and young (5-ish). Unfortunately, the one true opportunity he had at a good ram ended in two misses...ouch! It was painful to watch knowing what a tremendous effort he had put forth prior and during the hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom