California X12

J

Jaay

I'm looking for any advice on hunting in Zone X12 in California. Would really appreciate some help and or a partner who has hunted the area before and or has a tag for this year.

Thanks in advance
Jay

Jaay, I answered another post on this unit a month or so ago, but if it was not you, here is the the info I gave. Used to hunt it regularly when you could hunt it with an AO1 archery tag. Hunted way back in the backcountry on the Yosemite border when the bucks were bachlored up. I would not recommend this area for the rifle hunt as most of the bucks have moved to the lower country by the time of the rifle hunt. The Bodie area hold some nice bucks. Good glassing area. Find canyons with springs and glass glass glass. Look for little quakie patches in this area. It tend to be open sage, but the bucks seemed to like these little hidy holes. Sawmill ridge is another area but probably gets some pressure. Good unit, but be reasonable with your expectations. Very few California deer grow to monster status. A nice, heavy 4 point in the 20-22 inch range is a good trophy for this area in my opinion. There may be larger ones as there were many years ago, but for some reason they just seem to grows bigger when you cross the Nevada state line... Tad (aka Gamekiller)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom