Calling Coyotes

GoHigher

I want to get into coyote hunting this winter using an electronic call (so sick of seeing and hearing these pests when big game hunting). Anyone have any insights or tips besides what I can Google? I think guys and gals here on MM would have better advice than the run of the mill stuff on Google.

1. Any advice on type of electronic call?
2. Advice on caliber (I was just gunna start with my .223 assault rifle).
3. Better to hunt at first light or last light?
4. Any optimal distance from the road to set up?
5. Planning on hunting in southern NV and southern UT.

Thanks in advance

Watch the wind. They almost always try to get down wind of the call.

Most any E-call will work well.

Your 223 will work fine.

I don't go out until the sun is up, and will hunt until I can't see anything.

No optimal distance from a road.

One more thing, watch the wind.

Where/how you set up is probably the most important factor. If you set up with a brushy creek bottom 100yds down wind of you, you will most likely not see a coyote, even though 4-5 came to investigate.

I try to have a large open area down wind of me, such as a winter wheat field, grazed pasture, pond/lake. etc.

When you see one trying to get down wind, bark at him to make him stop, then shoot.

Go to Predatormasters.com.

Good luck.

>Watch the wind. They almost always
>try to get down wind
>of the call.
>
>Most any E-call will work well.
>
>
>try to get down wind
>of the call.
>
>Your 223 will work fine.
>
>try to get down wind
>of the call.
>
>I don't go out until the
>sun is up, and will
>hunt until I can't see
>anything.
>
>try to get down wind
>of the call.
>
>No optimal distance from a road.
>
>
>One more thing, watch the wind.
>
>
>Where/how you set up is probably
>the most important factor. If
>you set up with a
>brushy creek bottom 100yds down
>wind of you, you will
>most likely not see a
>coyote, even though 4-5 came
>to investigate.
>
>I try to have a large
>open area down wind of
>me, such as a winter
>wheat field, grazed pasture, pond/lake.
>etc.
>
>When you see one trying to
>get down wind, bark at
>him to make him stop,
>then shoot.
>
>Go to Predatormasters.com.
>
>Good luck.

Yes, but what about the wind?? :)

>>Watch the wind. They almost always
>>try to get down wind
>>of the call.
>>
>>Most any E-call will work well.
>>
>>
>>try to get down wind
>>of the call.
>>
>>Your 223 will work fine.
>>
>>try to get down wind
>>of the call.
>>
>>I don't go out until the
>>sun is up, and will
>>hunt until I can't see
>>anything.
>>
>>try to get down wind
>>of the call.
>>
>>No optimal distance from a road.
>>
>>
>>One more thing, watch the wind.
>>
>>
>>Where/how you set up is probably
>>the most important factor. If
>>you set up with a
>>brushy creek bottom 100yds down
>>wind of you, you will
>>most likely not see a
>>coyote, even though 4-5 came
>>to investigate.
>>
>>I try to have a large
>>open area down wind of
>>me, such as a winter
>>wheat field, grazed pasture, pond/lake.
>>etc.
>>
>>When you see one trying to
>>get down wind, bark at
>>him to make him stop,
>>then shoot.
>>
>>Go to Predatormasters.com.
>>
>>Good luck.
>
>Yes, but what about the wind??
>:)

I agree!

Why was khornet's post so spot-on but he forgot to mention how important playing the wind is? LOL

I've had tremendous success (By my standards) by following these exact rules.
Starting next month, and maybe this month, don't be afraid to howl them in.

Zeke

#livelikezac

FORGET THE WIND, SPRAY DOWN REALLY GOOD. USE YOUR PUP YIP ON YOUR E-CALLER REGUARDLESS OF THE TIME OF YEAR. I HAVE KILLED 12 YOTES IN MY LAST 5 HUNTS. (ALL DAY HUNTS) MISSED A FEW AS WELL...????????.YD.

I SHOULD ALSO MENTION CALI IS FULL OF YOTES, BUT QUITE OFTEN I GET A PACK OF 3-5 YOTES IN AT A TIME. THATS REALLY FUN BECAUSE THEY THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND TRYING TO BEAT THE OTHER YOTES TO THE SOUND. HAVE FUN...??.YD.

I actually don't worry about the wind that much, I just figure that 90% of the time they're coming from where my scent is going,. I'd say the biggest learning curve is where to call. You?ve got to be in a place that holds coyotes, wind won't totally blow your cover, and your truck is our of site. I prefer the 22-250 but 223 works great as well. Just don't be afraid to move after 15-20 minutes if nothing shows up.

If you are new to coyote calling, try to go to a State Park, Open Space, basically somewhere you can't hunt them.

Then, pick a spot that looks good to you, and try calling. These coyotes will respond like their 'wilder' cousins, but are easier to call in.

Since you aren't trying to kill them, you can pay attention to the details, such as their body language as they approach, where they came from, etc.

Plus, when you call those coyotes in, you get the confidence that you are doing things right.

A February public land coyote has a Phd. in Humans, and Human Avoidance. They are not the same as they were in October/November.

On a bitter cold day, coyotes will likely be on the South slope of a hill; on a warm January day, they will likely be in the shade; on high wind days, they will be in thicker cover and the downwind side of a hill. Think of them wanting to be comfortable, and safe, during a mid-day snooze.

That, and the wind direction, will help you decide how to set up.

Speaking of wind, I had the opportunity to laser a coyote coming to my call from dead downwind. I picked him up at about 800yds, and scanned him until he hit my scent. At 490yds,he caught my scent and he blew out of there.

Coyotes live by their nose. Never underestimate it.

Your post inspired me to go out and give it a whirl again and I checked the wind set up my call in a place they wouldn't wind me on the walk in, set up my mojo, played a distress call based on the animals that live there (jackrabbit) , and. 6 minutes later had a coyote down with my 4 year old which was a blast. I hope you have similar success! It sure is fun when they show up really quickly

82250a9b0b1bc78604628bfb48f1f574ce766.jpeg

8703237b82afde8554621a096ce41f50a5bee.jpeg

Very good advice so far. Many coyotes will often try to circle to get downwind of you. Some might come straight in, others may not try circling until they are 30 or 50 yards out and some will make really big circles. I had one yesterday that came in directly upwind and stayed 300 yards out and made it almost 180 degrees around me before I messed up the shot.

In an ideal world every stand will have elevation, wind in your face, sun at your back and be sitting in the shade a boulder or bush that breaks up your outline. In reality you won't find these perfect conditions all the time. I've killed many coyotes with the sun in my face, wind at my back and nothing behind me to break up my outline.

You will call in many coyotes that you never see. They are much more difficult to spot and then kill than most experience big game hunters think they will be.

Good luck and get some coyotes

If you're a big game hunter, you'll probably think that calling coyotes is an easy way to pop a few. Hey, they just run in to 30 yards and stop, right? LOL

I was out over the weekend and me and my bud shot 8. We always joke about how "easy" it is.... like the 3 I called in at one time on Saturday and I was lucky to get 1 of them after I took a shot at 30 yards right as he wheeled away. I had to really pull my head out to luckily pop him on the dead run at over 200 yards to salvage my botch-job.

I did manage to call in and take a double on Sunday morning. Now THAT was satisfying!!!!

They're a blast to hunt and every stand/set/calling spot is different with their own challenges. And yes, like Brian ID said, they're not that easy to spot even when they come running!

Zeke

Most any E-call will work well.

Your 223 will work fine.

I don't go out until the sun is up, and will hunt until I can't see anything.

No optimal distance from a road.

One more thing, watch the wind.

Where/how you set up is probably the most important factor. If you set up with a brushy creek bottom 100yds down wind of you, you will most likely not see a coyote, even though 4-5 came to investigate.

I try to have a large open area down wind of me, such as a winter wheat field, grazed pasture, pond/lake. etc.

When you see one trying to get down wind, bark at him to make him stop, then shoot.

Go to Predatormasters.com.

Good luck.
interesting you should say no optimal distance from the road when it is a known fact you have to be a minimum of 150 yards from any pathway structor or trail including roadways but not just paved ones even dirt trails ...

Nevada is open year round for lions right? You may call one in calling coyotes, never know. Id have a tag handy just in case.
Yeah it is definitely a good idea to get a tag just in case but if the cougar is not responding to your noises and is still approaching you for a kill you can totally hit that ****** with a few rounds lol, the only thing is if that happens you can not skin it and you would have to make a report with the department of wildlife for sure ...

find out where the local rancher is putting his dead animals setup a ambush spot coming and going from the dead animal dump.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom