camp cooking

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
what is everyones favorite(s) camp recipies ? has anyone ever eatin out of a dutch oven.we make this thing called h unters stew omg it is sooo good. deer roast, oninons carrots cream of mushroom its to die for. so whats everyone elses?
casey

I'll tell you, last year I had the best big game I have EVER had and what it was might surprise you. We were hunting a private ranch on the coast in Sonora for free ranging desert bighorns and my hunter harvested a huge ram. We caped and boned him out and started our 3 mile hike back to the truck with our packs full of sheep meat, cape and horns. We got back to camp and we were exhausted! That night the camp cook, who is amazing, grilled sheep tenderloin. He fixed half of it in medallions that were bacon wrapped and the other half he stuffed with apple slices and grilled it and it was served with a spicy apple/pepper salsa. Now, I know that sheep meat is normally really good but these desert bighorns live in some of the roughest, hottest country in North America and I really expected it to be a little tough. I could not have been more wrong, It was the most tender, sweet meat I have ever had! I look forward to the next desert sheep feast. Drummond

Last year I helped 2 Mexican-Americans from Morenci on a late whitetail hunt and I never ate so well in my entire life as I did in their deer camp. Tamales, Burros and Enchiladas all the time. That is the first deer hunt I ever gained weight on. Those guys get my help from now on whenever they need it ;-)!!!

HuntSonora, I agree, I am lucky enough to have been apart on a bunch of desert sheep hunts as of late and sheep steak beats the H3LL out of any other steak every day of the week!!!! So tender, so juicy, so hard to mess up on the grill, no wonder the pioneers blasted them almost to extinction! I just never ate it in camp, always on the grill at home.

Bret M.

My cook, an ol' cowboy, actually a Deputy in Northern Arizona goes on almost all of my hunting trips. We eat Good! On my last deer hunt in Novenber one memorable meal was Steak (beef and elk)and shrimp, on the bbq, tossed salad, baked potatoes, and a german chocolate cake baked in a dutch oven. It was Great!

He makes roasts, buried in the dutch oven, then we make either roast or tacos. We have had mexican dishes as well. Without fail, we always get a dutch oven cooked dessert.

dds - Darren
dds_sig.jpg

has any one evry tried a recipe calle dlil porky? its pork and all kinds of soups and spices topped with stuffing, it is soo good i would kill for it. of course after that, we eat either blue berry muffins in the dutch oven or cherry coober which is to die for
casey

Well, when we camp...guess who gets to cook?!

You guessed it.

This past deer season (bagged a coues!) We went fishing at a lake the day before season opener. Fresh trout panfried with peanuts and lemon butter...talk about eatin'! Breakfast is always good too. Hunters have better breakfast than fishermen. They eat power bars and granola. We eat three cheese omelets, with carmelized onion pan fried potatoes and BACON!!

This year was the first time I had seen a dutch oven used. My Father in Law cooked some chicken and dumplings...te...en..der!

Regards,
Chef
(now hungry)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom