Camp Security

BuckeyeBoy

My Dad, Friend and I are coming out for a MD hunt in the beginning of October. The plan is to set up a camp and either hunt on foot from it or drive about 10 miles to a HMA to access the other side of the area. I have not heard of many issues of camps being stolen or anything but I have heard of meat being taken from tagged animals and sometimes entire camps taken. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or had problems with camp security around Laramie? Also, I am looking for any suggestions to make my camp more secure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-08 AT 02:41PM (MST)[p]How about a note that says: " I am a current Marine sniper on leave and am elk hunting with a 50 BMG sniper rifle! I am also watching this camp from less than 2000 yards! Please leave things as you see them and I will do the SAME for you! "

:) No really I think your things should be fine as long as you show the locals the same respect you would like afforded to you ! The only folks I have ever had any issue with have been out of staters' of the area I was in.

I never leave anything of real value in camp(guns ,optics,cameras,keys, money ect. )No sense worrying about it.If someone wants it bad enough there going to take it.

I was not planning on leaving anything of real value such as the guns, optics or cameras. Figure if someone took the tent, heater and cots they must be real desperate. I don't think it is going to be a real problem but I tend worry about little things at times. I guess I will just go hunting and worry about it if something were to happen. Hopefully I will be packing out a nice muley in the end.

Take time to enjoy yourself out there! The memories I have packed out in the last 25 or so years have been pretty sweet but it takes looking back on them from here to really appreciate them as much as I do now. Hopefully the next five or so are just icing on the cake!!! I can finally take some time out there as opposed to rushing out and back to not burn too much vacation time!

I live here and have been leaving my stuff laying around for 30+ years. But as mentioned, nothing of great value. But if someone was to take my tent or stuff, they better be quick and smart. There will be real trouble if they are caught, and that's likely standard procedure for Wyoming. We generally respect others and expect the same.

Hope you have a safe and successful hunt.

I too have had great luck and no problems in over 30 years of camping, fishing, and out of state hunts. Most of the time, you're going to run into some of the nicest and honest people to be found anywhere. There are exceptions, one must always remember just where they are and depending, there can be those that hate what you represent or are looking to gain from your own hard work.

A couple years ago i was a bit concerned when leaving my well packed camper rig parked out at the end on some lonely little trailhead for 3 weeks straight while having been drop camped miles away. So, I bought one of those cheap "insured by Smith & Wesson" bumper stickers and placed it in the camper door window facing out. Again, No problems! Just the way i like it.

In many trips to Wyoming, i've found them to very friendly and helpful to outsiders visiting their state.

Joey

Have been on dozens of hunts out of state. Have left rigs and stock trailers @ trailheads, entire wall tent camps for days and equipment in the back of my truck. Nothing ever missing but watch yourself if you have expensive equipment in sight while you're grocery shopping or eating in a resturant.

I usually lock expensive stuff I'm not carrying in my vehicle with something over it and put my chainsaw in the wall tent.

Worse that ever happened was in Montana someone wrote in the dust on my truck, "Go Home."

Thanks for the input everyone. The bad thing is I actually am rushed for time because I have to be back to Ohio by October 10 because I am in training in Columbus on Monday. We should still have a good trip and hopefully are able to fill our tags. Good Luck this fall.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom