campgrounds, Antelope 48

WapitiBob

Long Time Member
I'm taking the Lance camper this year and wondering if anybody has decent campgrounds they can recommend for unit 48 antelope hunting. The wife and I will be coming from Yellowstone but have no real preference as to the North end or the South end of the unit.

I know theres one just north of Shirley Basin but I can't think of the name of it. I believe it's a bit southeast of Leo/Miracle Mile. I'll try to remember the name of it and post when I find out....It may be called Hanna?

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

There is a little RV park in Medicine Bow which is 10 miles or so from Hanna and Unit 48. It has Full hookups.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-11 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]I have looked at a few of those campgrounds in the past, and stayed in one once.

The first time, I was planning to stay there we arrived and there was sign on the entrance post with a gun and the "no" symbol on it, so we didn't stay there.

The next trip out, we called ahead to Natrona County who administrates the ones we were interested in who said no problem, leave guns cased when in camp, don't shoot in camp and you'll be fine. So we stayed there. A parks employee stopped and chatted with us and warned that if the Sheriff caught us in there he'd run us out. We explained the conversation I had with the Parks Dept and he agreed, but said the Sheriff didn't and he had just run another group out the week before we were there. We stayed and had no issues but were constantly concerned we'd be hassled.

Since then we've stayed out due to those concerns. If anyone knows what the actual rule is i'd be interested? They are nice campgrounds and I'd love to use them, they are far more convenient on a goat hunt than just squatting on BLM ground someplace, just not worth butting heads with anyone over.

We decided to stay off a dirt road on BLM but with the roads wet and greasy we just pulled off hwy 72 where the dirt road went in and stayed there. I was a little concerned but I have more people drive past my house than drove down that hwy. Most everybody knows you have guns with you too.
Ended up taking my Buck and one Doe with just an evening and morning hunt. The wind sure blows over there.

Badlander, I think you received bad information from the Parks Department employee. You are completely within your right to possess a firearm while camping at the Mile, and hunt for that matter. The sign you are referring to only applies to the south end (Kortes Dam/camp) area. That's to protect the workers living and working at, or near the damn/ power plant. The Mile is almost entirely BLM, except for the northern end, which is a federal refuge. I have hunted there for years and have not had a single problem to speak of.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom