camping heaters

pjs78

I am not much of a camper with the only times I did it was in a 3 man tent. Four times I went out west in my life on a hunt I literally froze my a$$ off, So last fall I
went with my brother too the Big Horns mid September with a new minus 20 sleeping bag with a good quality tent, a 18 in air mattress and guess what I totally
froze again. I just don't understand it as the temps were only in the 20's at night
and during the day I had light layers. Getting rained on 3 or 4 days also put the damper on us using tents again.
This year with some luck I hope to be back with my tag with a new game plan. I plan on buying a 7 by 12 by 6x6 enclosed trailer to not only haul my equipment out but more importantly to live in while there. So my question to you guys is what kind of heater would be best to keep us warm at night but also be safe to run all
night ? I have a smaller MR Heater but they do not suggest running while sleeping.I also have been checking into the Olympian wave catalytic heaters, any
one out there have a opinion on them. Would be grateful to any replies and opinions you guys would be willing to share. Pat

You need a sleeping pad that is insulated. One that has an r rating for the temperatures you are going to be in. A normal air mattress will not do anything for you but circulate cold air underneath you. You need insulation under you as much as you need it on top. That would be my guess as to why you're freezing.

Agreed, the problem was your air mattress. Find a good foam camping mattress and you will see a world of difference. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation if using a heater in an enclosed trailer. You would be better off in a tent with a heater for safety sake.

They make wall mounted propane catalytic heaters designed for RV's.
Just make sure the bottle is outside.

But yes insulation underneath is the ticket to staying warm.

Dang I was under the impression as long as I was off the ground I would be ok. Just to be clear are you saying that I can still use my
air mattress as long as I have sleeping pad or eliminate it all together? If so then just sleep on ground or is a cot better than air mattress ?
As far as heater is concerned I want something just to keep it
bearable not heat me out. Thanks for your replies. Pat

Alot of the Enclosed Trailers are Perty Tight!

You gotta Have Some Combustion Air!

And You Gotta Have Some Oxygen to Breathe!

I'd Damn Sure have a couple of Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide/Propane Detectors With BRAND DAMN NEW Batteries no matter what kind of Gas Heater You decide to use!

You Might Consider a Small Direct Vent Heater,Problem is that it's Hard to Find a Real Small one!

Yea assassin I am worried about the heater. I know the trailer I am looking at has 2 vents as well as I will have the barn door style doors
in back instead of the ramp type and plan on leaving them cracked as well as the front door. Detectors are a must. Not sure I know of
what kind of heater you are referring to with the Vent Heater. Could you tell me a little about them? Thanks, Pat

A good R factor sleeping pad and an insulated hat to sleep in will make a huge difference, and thick DRY socks.

Well!

A Direct Vent heater would be a Permanently Mounted Heater on the Perimeter Wall that Vents the Exhaust Out & Pulls Combustion Air in From Outside so the Heater is not Burning up the Oxygen You Breathe inside the Trailer!

But Like I Said,It's tough to Find a Small Unit!

Many,Many Years ago!

Small Camp Trailers Had a Heater Called a Hydro-Flame!

They Worked Perty Dang Good Even with No Blower!

But I'll Guarantee you The Government was not gonna let them be Legal for long!

Gotta Have all that Electronic Trash on all This New Stuff!

I have a Mr Buddy that i plumbed into my propane line on my toyhauler. We let it run all night. I usually crack a vent, generally in my bathroom. I have a monoxide detector next to the heater. Never had issues.

I have the Big Mr Buddy, and a 24ft trailer

Alot of the Enclosed Trailers are Perty Tight!

You gotta Have Some Combustion Air!

And You Gotta Have Some Oxygen to Breathe!

I'd Damn Sure have a couple of Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide/Propane Detectors With BRAND DAMN NEW Batteries no matter what kind of Gas Heater You decide to use!

You Might Consider a Small Direct Vent Heater,Problem is that it's Hard to Find a Real Small one!

Read this one twice....waking up dead is not good

I had a Mr Heater. Ended up with a hole in the top of our tent.

Do not use an old tall propane bottle like from a forklift. Could of had rust in side? Had flare ups like 36 inches high on top of a 30 inch bottle = not good.

Be careful

We use a diesel heater from Sportsmans Guide. We heat a 16X20 wall tent and keep it about 65 degrees inside for 7 days. We use about 30 gallons of diesel. The heaters are only about $250 and includes everything from stove pipe to regulator and parts to make it burn wood if you want to.

I’ve been using the big Mr. Heater for many years in my tent hooked up to a 5 gallon propane tank. I run it all night all the time. I might have some dead brain cells, but I don’t think they’re from the heater using up all the oxygen.
The big one works great.

A cot with a 2 inch closed cell pad will do, provided you have plenty of covers and keep your head warm. A heater would be nice, but I just don't trust them in a trailer or even well-sealed tent. As for catalytic heaters, they simply convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Less toxic, but still not oxygen... Some one needs to invent a system that has a heater outside of the trailer but which carries the exhaust heat through a chimney passing inside the trailer. The heat from the chimney would be plenty, and no gases would be drawn from or put into the trailer.

My tent always stays warm...…..

Robb
tumblr_o9f2zpjaZr1sdxszuo1_1280.jpg

Well Robb just solved it however at my age I think death would probably more likely than the carbon monoxide but what the hell got to go some time.
Really appreciate all your replies. I am thinking that maybe sleeping in the trailer with a good sleeping pad and maybe using my Big Buddy heater to warm it up before we sleep will do the trick. I will have my son and his friend along so lots of responsibility involved.
Hope to hear more from you guys, lots of good info. Pat

Hey pjs!

I Did find a Smaller Direct Vent!

They Make 2 Different Sizes!

11,000 BTU Model!

And!

17,000 BTU Model!

I Do NOT Like where it's Made!

But Where's Our MADE IN THE USA Choice?

A Guy would wanna Check in to recommended Elevation Use!

Thanks elkasassin looks like it could be what I am looking for but mounting could be a problem. Going to look into it. Pat

I Read some of the Reviews!

I Hope they get their Ssshhhiiiittt Together!

Looks like some had missing parts & some had wrong parts?

Think them F'N Chinamen Care?

Founder do you have any issues with your Big Buddy Heater at high altitudes?
Never had a problem and I typically camp fairly high when using it. 9000’ plus. At least I don’t remember ever having trouble. I’ve used the same heater for a lot of years. Warms the tent up great. It comes with its own fan/blower, but I also have a little fan I use to help circulate air. In the tent, the upper 4 feet can end up super hot, but still cold down below.

Try a canvas cover sleeping bag system. Works well and you don’t have to worry about waking up. Better to wake up cold then dead. I have a big buddy heater and have problems with it at high altitudes. Finally figured at around 8000 feet I could only use it on low. Didn’t put out a lot of heat. They do have a low o2 sensor to shut off when oxygen gets low. The threw the wall furnace the Bess posted up work well. We have them in our cabin. https://canvascutter.com/ I take my canvas cutter whenever I travel. It has my my sleeping bag,pillow and the sheet on my sleeping pad all rolled up together. It keeps it dust free and dry even strapped in the back of my pick up.

Where You Gettin the Power for a Fan/Fans at 9,000+ Feet where You Hunt & Camp?

Never had a problem and I typically camp fairly high when using it. 9000’ plus. At least I don’t remember ever having trouble. I’ve used the same heater for a lot of years. Warms the tent up great. It comes with its own fan/blower, but I also have a little fan I use to help circulate air. In the tent, the upper 4 feet can end up super hot, but still cold down below.

here's a tip as well. Try this it works!! boil some water and fill your nalgene bottle when you go to bed, place it inside your sleeping bag at your feet. You will be as snug as a bug in a rug.

A Plant in KY?

Or just a Sales Place in KY?
ProCom Heating Inc. is one of the World’s leading manufacturers of heating appliances with high quality fireplace ideas for your home. Established in 1996, ProCom has manufactured gas heating appliances for over 20 years in state of the art facilities, both overseas and domestically. With locations in Brea, California and Bowling Green, KY, ProCom has the ability to respond to changing dynamics in global manufacturing by leveraging our expansive network of contract factories overseas or our state of the art facility in Kentucky. This makes ProCom Heating the only company in the heating industry to have the ability to maximize our facilities to effectively maintain a competitive cost advantage whether we produce overseas or domestically.

Or you can try the Jeremiah Johnson technique. Heat up some rocks in the camp fire and put them in the ground under your sleeping bag. ;-)

So?

Is it a Truck Battery?

And are You Packing a Solar Panel to Charge that Battery as Well?
The Fan assist on our Big Buddy heaters takes D cell batteries. The kids used it in the tent last time at the Henries with a 5 gal propane tank . When we don't want to bother with the wood stove. Its a good back up.

Thanks BIGJOHN!

Maybe I Better Break My Big Buddy out of the Box one of these Days?

I Didn't know they Run on D Cell Batteries!:D

I Was Only Wondering How Founder was Packing a Truck Battery back in to the High Country?:D

I am not much of a camper with the only times I did it was in a 3 man tent. Four times I went out west in my life on a hunt I literally froze my a$$ off, So last fall I
went with my brother too the Big Horns mid September with a new minus 20 sleeping bag with a good quality tent, a 18 in air mattress and guess what I totally
froze again. I just don't understand it as the temps were only in the 20's at night
and during the day I had light layers. Getting rained on 3 or 4 days also put the damper on us using tents again.
This year with some luck I hope to be back with my tag with a new game plan. I plan on buying a 7 by 12 by 6x6 enclosed trailer to not only haul my equipment out but more importantly to live in while there. So my question to you guys is what kind of heater would be best to keep us warm at night but also be safe to run all
night ? I have a smaller MR Heater but they do not suggest running while sleeping.I also have been checking into the Olympian wave catalytic heaters, any
one out there have a opinion on them. Would be grateful to any replies and opinions you guys would be willing to share. Pat
Pay no attention to founder. He drank the forbidden koolaide.

I have the big buddy heater and have really enjoyed it. I never run it all night put will run it for 20 minutes or so to take the edge off right before going to bed and then before getting up and getting dressed.

When sleeping on a cot cold air can circulate all around you. A sleeping pad works and so does a news paper spread out between the sleeping bag and your air mattress. The most important thing is to wear a knit beanie on your head. do this and you will stay warm.

Thanks again everyone I will definitely be using some of these
great suggestions . I ran into a really busy time here so have not had
a chance to research the heaters like I had planned. Keep up with
the great suggestions I am all ears. Pat

So On the Big Buddy Heater?

How many Hours Approx. can you run the Fan before the D Cell Batteries are Dead?
I run my fan on the unit when drying clothes. Usually for a couple hours each night and they’ll last 8-9 days. That’s why I take a fan to run off battery. You’ve gotta be able to circulate air to dry clothes. I should be running a bigger fan.
I don’t run the fan at night. I usually turn the heater to low, pull to within a few feet of thecot and let it go.
Sometimes if it’s not overly cold, I won’t run the heater all night, but just kick it on when I fire up coffee water and then get back in bed for 5 minutes.

Thanks everyone for some great information and tips. It was a no
go for me this year in the elk draw with a 4 point jump in points
for my app but will certainly use this information in the future. Pat

I camp in a tent. When it is cold, as in 20 degrees, I have two old cheapo sleeping bags, one inside the other. Wear a watch cap(?), long johns, and socks with toe slots for hand warmers. Oh, on a cot.
Friend of mine has a Little Buddy heater that we've used a couple of times. We also have a CO detector. The Lit Bud takes the chill off. Not gonna make it 70 degrees in the tent, but has made a difference. I'm still kinda leery of it, even with the CO detector.

If you can find them the foldup beds out a wrecked toyhauler they make great beds for those enclosed trailers the fold up to the walls and gets them up your way so you can still haul your wheelers. We did one that had 4 fold up beds in it they kind of looked like bunkbeds that trailer was 7x16 I believe.(he took back to KY) for a hunting shack.
Putting a small sink with a small table (approx. 6'L x16" W )makes a nice cutting board area in the front with a water draining pipe plumbed thru the floor will make things easier too. plus it makes nice area for setting up a stove or heater. Put in a couple cabinets above the sink for food storage. Put a battery box up front too and run a fan off it or other things. We even put in a small window in a couple enclosed trailers for setting up a portable air conditioner that run off a Genny. All the ones we did Had a walk in door up front on passenger side of trailer.
Do forget the full rack up on the roof to add more storage for kayak and such.
Put a propane double tank holder on the front on the frame and put your hose thru the wall for a heater and stove.
We have done a few BUT h#ll I never thought to take pictures.
I do know out here those fold down beds are getting pricey and hard to find, Wrecked toyhaulers and Rv parts yards is where we found the ones we used for building this little weekend campers and toy carriers. It beats the cot hands down.
Nice 4" foam rubber(The ones out a old memory mattress) those ones are great, using them on those fold down beds are the way to go.
If you get it built you will love it.

I use a Cowboy bedroll made out of canvas can keep u warm even under really cold weather.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom