Camping near payson

jgriffin82

I'm trying to plan a long road/camping trip with family and travel trailer. We're gonna head south from northern California through AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV. I'm not familiar with Arizona. We're going through Payson to see a friend I used to work with. Are there any campgrounds that can handle a 29' trailer, preferably off the beaten path? Dry camping is a plus, as is a little space between myself and other campers. A little wildlife viewing would be a great bonus! Fishing also. We're going to be hitting the road in June. I appreciate any tips and advice.

Jim

The developed campgrounds get stupid busy in the summer up there. But there are lots to choose from. I would be looking for a reservation asap.

The USFS has undeveloped campgrounds up there too. Most of the lakes have one nearby. Who knows what covid did. It closed some things up here in CO.

I would go for a reservation somewhere too. There are areas north of Payson in the Camp Geronimo area (S of Pine/Strawberry), but they closed camping near the creek last year, not sure what they are doing yet this summer.
If you head NE out of Payson on the 260, you can get up on the rim and have all the dry camping you can handle around Wood Canyon and Willow Springs Lakes.

Again, with all the free money out there, the rim will have plenty of SxS, ATVs, etc.

Agree wit BGbasbhat, Woods Canyon, off of FS 300, and further back, there are Chevelon lake, and Knoll lake. Lots of areas to camp, lots of elk and deer, and an occasional bear, to see.

Pretty area up on the rim (20 miles + or - from Payson) for sure. Lots of campgrounds in the national forest. A couple of nice lakes (Chevelon) and lots of people. I was in 4B Elk hunting between Heber and Forest Lakes in September and I was really surprised how many people were in there. Not hunters either. Just campers and ATVers. Lots of the camping areas were small and unimproved- 3-5 units in each one with a nice distance between campers. Kind of what you're looking for I think. Based upon what I saw I agree with the "make a reservation now" crowd. Good luck, drive safe, have fun !!

Note, most sites up on the rim don't take reservations, but you are running the risk of not finding a great spot. You will find one, but it may not be ideal for what you are looking for.
Also note, before monsoons hit in July, the national forests are usually closed to campfires. You can still have propane grills/rings, but not wood/embers.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will do some research on the recommended areas. I prefer to stay away from busy, developed campsites. The areas on the rim sound like they are the ticket. Do things slow down up there once school get back in session or is it busy through fall? I could push the trip to August if it means less people.

Jim

Thanks for the responses guys. I will do some research on the recommended areas. I prefer to stay away from busy, developed campsites. The areas on the rim sound like they are the ticket. Do things slow down up there once school get back in session or is it busy through fall? I could push the trip to August if it means less people.

Jim
There is the payson campground a block from my house. You could give them a call and see if they take reservations. There’s a lot of Forrest service campgrounds, including the Houston Mesa campground, Christopher creek campground, and one near Thompson draw. Get there before Friday to get a spot. Also lots of camping on the rim, in undeveloped areas, check out the young road for several undeveloped camps. Pretty nice up there, but probably Phoenixfornians will burn all the woods down this summer, and there won’t be any trees left, forever.

Jim
Up on the Rim will be busy all summer, with the weekends being worse. Don’t go during a major holiday....it’ll be worse than Grand Central Station! Lol

If you can push it into August. It would be an advantage. Weather will be cooler and hopefully the monsoons will be in full swing so no fire restrictions. Also if you camp north of the 300 road....say along the 34 road, you can then pack up camp, head north on the 34 road which will turn into Hwy 99, then into Winslow and jump on I-40 east and continue your trip to New Mexico!

Bojangles, I'm a Californian. I give you my word, I will not start a fire! I'm planning the trip to be at campsites early to midweek. I think that'll help with the congestion. Depending on draws this year, I may even push the trip into September.

AZ8, I appreciate the advice on the route to NM. I think I'll include that in my planning.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom