Can I bring my son hunting if he doesn't have his own tag?

crookedteeth

I got an antelope tag in Wyoming, a mule deer tag in Wyoming a doe mule deer tag in Montana and a Coues deer tag in Arizona . Since I got more tags than I expected, I'd like to bring my sons on one of these hunts. He is 13 and hasn't hunted before. I am rather new to hunting myself.

I've looked into the situation in Arizona. But just realized that to hunt there he needs an in-person hunter education "field day". So that adds another $1200 for a separate trip (from the East Coast) which isn't great. So looking into the situation in Wyoming and Montana to see if that might be a better option. Antelope hunt in Wyoming would probably be ideal.

I don't need him to be able to shoot the deer/antelope. I just want him to be come along and observe and perhaps carry a gun for small game, birds, do some scouting etc. Basically want to give him the experience of hunting so next year (if he likes it) we can apply for a big game tag of his own.

Anyone know what the rules are in Wyoming and Montana? I can't seem to find much online about bringing along a child who is a non-hunter for the primary species but perhaps hunting small game or birds opportunistically with the appropriate license. Could that run afoul of the rules?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. So if I have, say, my antelope tag then I could shoot an antelope. Could he shoot the antelope? Sounds like he can. Can we each shoot an antelope or do we still just share a tag for a single animal?

Thanks. So if I have, say, my antelope tag then I could shoot an antelope. Could he shoot the antelope? Sounds like he can. Can we each shoot an antelope or do we still just share a tag for a single animal?
Yes.. just tell the officer that some guy on the MM forum said its fine, I’m sure he’ll understand…

Seriously though, if you don’t understand the regs and rules make a phone call to that states fish and game department to clear up any confusion.

Nope, he can not take any antelope or deer on your license in Wyoming. He can hunt small game on your small game license if you enroll in the hunter mentor program. If he has hunter safety you can buy him his own small game license and conservation stamp. A small game license is required to hunt rabbits and small game.

I know someone that knows the regs better than me will chime in I hope.
Call a local office and ask for a GW is another route for answers.

You found the gohunt loophole. Everyone in your vehicle can shoot one animal each on your tag. I know what you’re thinking, that sounds crazy. The tag says it’s good for ONE pronghorn, why can I get more than one on a tag? Why would they sell additional tags if you can just shoot more than one on your additional tag? Well, gohunt!

Thank you for bringing us along on your adventure in its infancy. It’s gonna be E P I C

Brother, if we are asking question like this do we need to sit down and have a chat about which end of the gun the bullet comes out of? Sorry to bust your nuts, but come on man. 1 tag is good for 1 pronghorn.

What if I have 39 kids? Can I shoot 39 antelopes with one tag? Asking for a friend...

Sounds like I can.
Absolutely, you can also take one of those big 6x6 speed goats if you see one and mulehorn as well. They are invasive so you can shoot as many as you like. It’s basically like “Oregon Trails” you just blast away and see how much meat you can carry back to your covered wagon

Brother, if we are asking question like this do we need to sit down and have a chat about which end of the gun the bullet comes out of? Sorry to bust your nuts, but come on man. 1 tag is good for 1 pronghorn.
It’s not nearly as complicated out East. You just buy a hunting license and go shoot a deer.

It’s not nearly as complicated out East. You just buy a hunting license and go shoot a deer.
I live in the east. Not sure where you are from. My hunting regs are equally if not more complicated than out west and if you ask youself “is it legal to…. fill in the blank”…… it probably isn’t. Read the regulation booklets from start to finish. Have your kid read them too. Why start off on the wrong foot looking for the rules on an internet forum? Every state publishes them for a reason.

Also, I don’t see anything wrong with mentoring your kid and letting them shoot an antelope when they are between 12 and 14. Would be a great way to encourage more hunting. Anyway, not surprised to hear that it’s not allowed but I don’t think it’s such a ridiculous question. Just because you are used to the way things are doesn’t mean they couldn’t be another way. The Wyoming rules for hunting aren’t the laws of physics. They are arbitrary rules of man.

I live in the east. Not sure where you are from. My hunting regs are equally if not more complicated than out west and if you ask youself “is it legal to…. fill in the blank”…… it probably isn’t. Read the regulation booklets from start to finish. Have your kid read them too. Why start off on the wrong foot looking for the rules on an internet forum? Every state publishes them for a reason.
For deer, there are no draws. No special draws. No preference points. No bonus points. When you first hunt out West, you have all that stuff and it’s different in every state and there are differences for every species. And you add kids in and there are all sorts of rules and they differ everywhere. In Arizona for example I can transfer my license to him and he can hunt I my place. But he needs on site hunter education. In Arizona you can get a bear license but you need to know about the complex process for checking I your bear. I’m dealing with multiple species in multiple states and trying to figure out how to spend some quality time with my son. Starting from one season of deer hunting with no mentor. So don’t trivialize it. It’s a lot to learn. It’s a new hobby. I’m not a professional hunter. Pretty sure if you guys picked up designing artificial intelligence systems (my expertise), you’d have plenty of stupid questions as well.

Look here guy who needs dental work, you were a lot funnier when I thought you were joking about getting two animals off a single tag. Now I see you weren’t kidding. You obviously figured out how to put in for western states draws or paid a company to do that for you. Maybe sit down and crack open the regs of the state you are hunting and read the 10 or so pages. Or ask strangers on the internet? I dunno. But don’t look for sympathy when you get to deer hunt every year no questions asked in your state and have a bunch of tags out west, but can’t figure out what the rules are in those states? Do a little research bub

Last edited:
No unfortunately he can’t shoot your antelope using your tag in WY…

”The HMP is not a substitute for a hunting license. The hunter mentee must still obtain the appropriate licenses, stamps and permits necessary for each hunt.”

It just provides an exemption if he doesn’t have his hunter ed.

“This special authorization will serve as a one (1) year temporary exemption to a hunter education certificate.”

Since you said you are a fairly new hunter yourself if it were me I would just have him accompany me on the WY antelope hunt and involve him in every aspect of the antelope hunt besides shooting it; scouting, glassing, stalking, field judging, breaking down the animal, packing it out, etc. They are a fun animal to hunt and he would not get bored if he is truly interested In hunting. He wouldn’t need the HMP certificate for that.

Maybe bring a shotgun or a .22 for the down times during your hunt so he can hunt birds (if there is a season open), coyotes, rabbits, or prairie dogs when you can devote your full attention and supervision on mentoring him on the game being hunted and making sure he is handling the firearm safely. The way I interpret the regulations he would still need the HMP certificate to handle a firearm to legally take game even though some of those species do not require a hunting license.

It’s great you are getting your son involved in hunting. Good luck on your hunts and be safe!

Horniac

”The HMP is not a substitute for a hunting license. The hunter mentee must still obtain the appropriate licenses, stamps and permits necessary for each hunt.”

“This special authorization will serve as a one (1) year temporary exemption to a hunter education certificate.”

Since you said you are a fairly new hunter yourself if it were me I would just have him accompany me on the WY antelope hunt and involve him in every aspect of the antelope hunt besides shooting it; scouting, glassing, stalking, field judging, breaking down the animal, packing it out, etc. They are a fun animal to hunt and he would not get bored if he is truly interested In hunting. He wouldn’t need the HMP certificate for that.

Maybe bring a shotgun or a .22 for the down times during your hunt so he can hunt birds (if there is a season open), coyotes, rabbits, or prairie dogs when you can devote your full attention and supervision on mentoring him on the game being hunted and making sure he is handling the firearm safely. The way I interpret the regulations he would still need the HMP certificate to handle a firearm to legally take game even though some of those species do not require a hunting license.

It’s great you are getting your son involved in hunting. Good luck on your hunts and be safe!

Horniac
Thanks so much.

Look here guy who needs dental work, you were a lot funnier when I thought you were joking about getting two animals off a single tag. Now I see you weren’t kidding. You obviously figured out how to put in for western states draws or paid a company to do that for you. Maybe sit down and crack open the regs of the state you are hunting and read the 10 or so pages. Or ask strangers on the internet? I dunno. But don’t look for sympathy when you get to deer hunt every year no questions asked in your state and have a bunch of tags out west, but can’t figure out what the rules are in those states? Do a little research bub
I am doing research. I’ve done a ton and continue to do it. I’m not asking for sympathy. I’m just asking for advice which I believe in the point of an Internet forum. I’ve read a lot of stuff but there are things left out. Plenty of people have been very helpful and welcoming . A few of you are the types that seem to want to keep out newcomers by making fun of their ignorance. You’re free to do that but I don’t like when people poison these great resource sites with that kind of attitude, regardless of the subject matter. I have the same perspective for places where I am the expert.

You have to have a thick skin for around here for some of the guys on here.
Call all the states F&G dept in the states you drew and get the skinny from them just so you are not given some wrong information.

Horniac
That seems like a reasonable interpretation to me. But I’ve read elsewhere that for someone to be considered a non-hunter they can’t be involved in the hunt. Can’t be glassing etc. But maybe they can if they have a hunting license without a tag.

What’s so confusing to me is that the concept of hunting license and tag are somewhat separate but similar and the fuzziness seems to differ by state. Like, what’s the point of having a big game license without a tag? You can hunt big game but can’t shoot it? What does that even mean? Maybe you can help someone else? In my state the tags come with the license just like with a fishing license.

Anyway, I’ll read these things over closely like a lawyer does and if I still have questions, I’ll call the game wardens.

Thanks again

What’s so confusing to me is that the concept of hunting license and tag are somewhat separate but similar and the fuzziness seems to differ by state. Like, what’s the point of having a big game license without a tag? You can hunt big game but can’t shoot it? What does that even mean?
Typically when someone refers to a "hunting license" they mean the general license that can be purchased yearly, at will, that allows hunting of small game animals. By contrast, when talking about hunting big game animals in most western states, there is of course an entirely different system involved in obtaining a permit/tag/license (doesn't really matter what you call it) to hunt any of their big game animals. It almost always involves, especially for non-residents, a limited draw process, done far in advance of the hunting season. You may already know this, based on your postings above, but I just wanted to see if I could quell the confusion you expressed in the quoted post. But, as many people have already stated, a quick glance at the hunting regs for a given state will clear most of these things up. You just have to take the time. As far as I've seen, every western state has their regulations posted on their websites for easy access. Some are more user-friendly than others. You could also subscribe to one of the hunt application and consultation services like Huntin Fool or Epic or others, where they break each state down in a more concise manner.

What if I have 39 kids? Can I shoot 39 antelopes with one tag? Asking for a friend...

Sounds like I can.
Actually no. The limit is 36 antelopes. But if you kill one that has cheatgrass in its mouth than that’s called a Colorado freebie, it does not go against your quota.

The regs are pretty easy after you read them a few times.

Good luck figuring things out. My advice was actually sincere if you read it for what it is. You may be “smart” but in my opinion you are also the one being a little too aggressive trying to swat at comments that are not exactly to your liking. Remember, you came looking for help, this is a great site, but people aren’t seeking you out to educate you. Just take it slow and easy and follow the regs. I apply in a half dozen states. I still have questions too and I’ll ask for help when I need it as well.

"I don't need him to be able to shoot the deer/antelope. I just want him to be come along and observe and perhaps carry a gun for small game, birds, do some scouting etc. "

Crookedteeth, this is what you asked. Yes, he can come along. But it defies logic to think he can also shoot an antelope on your tag, or, shoot your antelope. A tag is good for the tagholder only. In some cases, and in some states it can be transferred to a youth, but you'd have to check with, and legally transfer if the states allow it. How would you ever manage the species if one tag = 2,3,4... animals? Sorry that this spun out of control on you.

That seems like a reasonable interpretation to me. But I’ve read elsewhere that for someone to be considered a non-hunter they can’t be involved in the hunt. Can’t be glassing etc. But maybe they can if they have a hunting license without a tag.

What’s so confusing to me is that the concept of hunting license and tag are somewhat separate but similar and the fuzziness seems to differ by state. Like, what’s the point of having a big game license without a tag? You can hunt big game but can’t shoot it? What does that even mean? Maybe you can help someone else? In my state the tags come with the license just like with a fishing license.

Anyway, I’ll read these things over closely like a lawyer does and if I still have questions, I’ll call the game wardens.

Thanks again
He can do everything by your side except for handling your firearm and shooting the animal. He doesn’t need anything for that and there is no minimum age.

Sticksender had a good explanation for the tag vs license and like he said every state is a little different.

Yes the regulations can be a bit confusing. The bottom line is if he is going to use a firearm under your guidance to take wildlife (i.e. small game, predators, birds) and he doesn’t have a hunter safety certificate from your home state in his possession you need to apply for the HMP certificate.

Except as otherwise provided, no person born on or after January 1, 1966, may take wildlife by the use of firearms on land other than that of his own family, unless that person can demonstrate they have obtained a certificate of competency and safety in the use and handling of firearms.

A person who has not received a certificate of competency and safety in the use of handling firearms may apply to the Department for a special authorization to take wildlife with the use of a firearm while being accompanied by a person who is at least 18 years old, acting as a mentor, who possesses or can demonstrate he has successfully completed a hunter safety course and who possesses a valid Wyoming hunting license.

• A special authorization issued to an individual shall be valid for one (1) year from the date of issue and shall be in the possession of the recipient at all times while in the field. The application process may be completed on the Department website. A mentor shall not provide supervision for more than one (1) person, other than immediate family members, at a time in the field and shall accompany the mentee at all times to provide constant supervision.
As others have mentioned, read the regs over carefully and then call the department with your questions. Just know that most that answer the phone are very knowledgeable, but some not so much with the finer points in the regulations.

I think your idea to call the game warden covering your hunt area is a good one. Get your questions answered straight from the warden who would be checking you for compliance in the field and issuing any possible citation. That way, he/she will hopefully remember your conversation if any issues develop…

Horniac

I should most likely mind my own business but I would like to suggest something to consider, for everyone’s good……. I think.

You have said that your son has not hunted previously and you yourself are new to hunting. You’ve asked about putting a rifle/shotgun in the hands of a 13 year old.

You apparently have taken a hunter training course somewhere, if you have hunted before. Has your son passed a hunter safety course yet?

I would hope, for the safety of your son, yourself and anyone else you encounter in the field hunting, and the people who live near your chosen hunting location, your son has been taught firearms safety by a knowledgeable hunter/instructor. Be it in Arizona or a different State.

Secondly, you seem to be trying to drink from a firehose. Maybe consider picking one State, become completely familiar with the regulations in that State, which you are required by law to know, before you go hunting. Once you are completely knowledgeable about the regulations and requirements in that State, move to the next State, and the next. Much of what you learn about the first State will apply to the other States and the more you know about one, the more you will know about all States, in many cases.

I hope you would never give a firearm to anyone, let alone a child of 13, and take them or turn themloose to hunt without in-depth knowledge in firearms management.

Study the regulation books for each state. Like others have said, call the department in that state and question them. But as a basic rule of thumb, your son should be able to accompany you on any hunt, but he cannot partake in the hunt (aiding in the harvest). Take him along, have him help setup camp, teach him where the sun rises and sets, how the shadows change in the day so he can always know which direction's North, teach him outdoor skills and enjoy your time together in the outdoors. Take him along on a few hunting trips as a helper before he is the shooter and teach him its not just about the harvest.

Enjoy your various hunts and be safe out there!

1) Always Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction

2) Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

3) Keep it unloaded until ready to use. Anytime picking a gun up or handing away check to ensure it is unloaded (Visually and Physically clearing the chamber)

4) Be certain of your target and what is beyond it

5) Never point it at anything that you do not want to destroy.

6) Safety on and finger off trigger until ready to fire

I should most likely mind my own business but I would like to suggest something to consider, for everyone’s good……. I think.

You have said that your son has not hunted previously and you yourself are new to hunting. You’ve asked about putting a rifle/shotgun in the hands of a 13 year old.

You apparently have taken a hunter training course somewhere, if you have hunted before. Has your son passed a hunter safety course yet?

I would hope, for the safety of your son, yourself and anyone else you encounter in the field hunting, and the people who live near your chosen hunting location, your son has been taught firearms safety by a knowledgeable hunter/instructor. Be it in Arizona or a different State.

Secondly, you seem to be trying to drink from a firehose. Maybe consider picking one State, become completely familiar with the regulations in that State, which you are required by law to know, before you go hunting. Once you are completely knowledgeable about the regulations and requirements in that State, move to the next State, and the next. Much of what you learn about the first State will apply to the other States and the more you know about one, the more you will know about all States, in many cases.

I hope you would never give a firearm to anyone, let alone a child of 13, and take them or turn themloose to hunt without in-depth knowledge in firearms management.
Yes. I’m a firehose drinker. It usually works out fine. And yes, I am a responsible gun owners and know how to teach my son. I didn’t say I’m new to guns. I’m not actually brand new to hunting either. I hunted as a kid just not big game. And I hunted some for deer last year.

Yes. I’m a firehose drinker. It usually works out fine. And yes, I am a responsible gun owners and know how to teach my son. I didn’t say I’m new to guns. I’m not actually brand new to hunting either. I hunted as a kid just not big game. And I hunted some for deer last year.
Sounds like you’re good to go…….. all the best.

Don't get too worked up, HntHrdr, This guy has been trolling the Wyoming board as well. Not the worst troll I've seen, maybe a 4/10 or 5/10. He will wear himself out soon. Just enjoy it for what it is. The draws are over and he has nothing to do until hunting season.

Some wyoming hunter education courses offer live fire to engage from home. Some courses are coming up and I suggest you both do it.

This is one area that Utah has a better wildlife regulation than WY... I have a deer tag, and for $10, I completed an application to mentor my daughter using that tag. It means she and I basically share 1 tag, for 1 animal. My hope (and the intent of this program) is that she will hunt by my side and get to shoot her first buck. I won't be taking a long shot cuz she can't, or take the shot because the buck is bigger than we hoped for... She will be the huntress and we will get her a buck. I hope its the biggest buck we see, it might not be. Its her hunt.and I will mentor her to the buck. My expectations are high for a fun deer camp with family, and a wall hanger would be the ultimate cherry on top.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom