Can someone explain Oregon?

hossblur

Long Time Member
For my wife's b day we have been going to Depoe Bay for a while.

Nothing prettier than the forest dropping directly into the ocean. You see the massive forests where dudes have had to hack into them to build a house. HUGE rivers. Fisherman, loggers, farmers, all folks who have scratched out lives in a beautiful, but harsh environment.

And then, you enter Portland.

It's like you snap your finger, and you leave farms, vineyards, trees, and entered a landfill. LITERALLY. "Gross, disgusting, horrific, unbelievable", just some of the words used during our unfortunate 15 min in Portland.

Is there any place in America where absolute beauty and unbelievable nastiness touch each other literally no distance? It's shocking, that a state built by hard men/women have that rathole(rats ain't even that disgusting) as their capitol.

Also. Are there no barbers in Oregon? Or beauticians for that matter?

Portland and Seattle, Wash. is like San Francisco. Nothing but a $hithole that is not worth visiting.
RELH
Which can be said of every great city in the World. It’s the same infliction faced by every beautiful woman.........

Moved to Oregon from Texas 20 years ago. We used to enjoy going to Portland for a weekend every now and then. 10 years ago things really started to change and we haven't been in the past 5 years. I'm lucky to live in a rural town, but I really love eastern Oregon and it's way of life. Yes, Portland is a $hithole, Eugene and Salem aren't far behind.

The left coast sucks. Here, we were proud to be the Eureka High Loggers and the Humboldt State Lumberjacks. Some want to drop the connection to the evil money grabbing land rapers. (their words, not mine). Over time, I'm sure they will get their way.

Makes me puke.

So our population centers control the voting for all of Oregon due to population. So we have the liberal cities that control everything. Portland is Seattle or San Francisco with the politics. You should go to eastern and central Oregon, absolutely beautiful. All my friends with like minds are looking to move out of the state. Portland has turned into Chicago west.

Rich

Denver's right there with so many other Metro's. 10 year's ago we'd spend a few days there every couple months. Not anymore. Vagrants, drugs, people crapping on sidewalks and street corners, rudeness with selfish expectations. Blah..... Makes me sick to see how these once great cities are crap.

And the common theme is they are all BLUE states! People on the Eastside of Oregon are pushing to become part of greater Idaho, bc of Portland, Salem, Eugene, ect......

I was born 15 miles from electricity. Eventually my family moved to a dusty little town of 4,000. One paved road, and a rail road station. Left there to go to college in a city of 500,000. After college I moved in and out of a number of cities, including some of the largest in the country. In 1975, I was 28, married with two children, living with 500,000 people. My wife wanted to move closer to her family. I told her I’d move one time so, chose wisely. Truth be told I was fed up with big cities and regulations imposed to manage masses of humanity. Out of “more luck than good management” we ended up in a tiny town of 400. I threw out the anchor, and we’re still here, 46 years later. Two hours, in every direction from a town larger than 8,000 people.

While I constantly *****, complain, and worry about the direction the world and our country has been going since the end of the agrarian society and the introduction of the one world concept, that grew out of WWI and WWII and a desire to prevent another world war, it hasn’t effected me personally very much.

My personal experience, ( I recognize most folks don’t have the interest or the opportunity to live like I’ve been able to live), has by an large, been immune from much of the social induced crap that the people in our great cities are enduring.

In 46 years this tiny town has grown by less than 50 people. Still no stores, no sidewalks, no treated drinking water (spring water only), no fire department, no police department (great County Sheriffs though), a city council were people serve on out of duty as opposited to personal agendas, County picks up our trash once a week, kids of all ages play in the streets and in the fields from day light to dark, young mothers socialize on daily walks around our four block perimeter, old men and women shuffle down to the 100 year old. 8’ x 10” post office, mostly to visit and clear the City Bank VISA card application junk mail from their box, about the only strangers we see are distance relatives of long dead ancestors, looking for the Cemetery, two miles north of town. About two thirds of the town know each other well, the other third are mostly made up of folks who come for a few months/years and move on. Some of those we get to know and the rest prefer to be more private or are busy with family/friends or issues else where. It’s quiet, but for an occasional 10 year old racing around on a four wheel and that’s fairly rare. We have horse families, big garden families, hiker families, hunting families, fishing families, boating families, skiers, motorcyclists, team sport families, golfers, and a bunch that seem to do all of the above. Very, very very few that are ever unemployed for an extended period of time. We have 50 times more ambulance sirens than we do police sirens. Our greatest conflicts are over irrigation water limitations which are 99.9% of time short gatherings, where great friends raise there voices for an hour or so, then it’s back to congeniality, until the next time.

So what’s the point in all this unwanted nonsense?

Other than the long term concerns I have for our country and our civization, living in rural communities keeps you pretty much insolated from the racist, BLM, environmental, global warming, pandemic, murders, sh!t in the streets, dopers in the doorways, protests, road rage, etc. etc. etc. Over the years, it’s seems, at least, even those that leave those environment and move here don’t stay long. They haven’t lived this way and they don’t miss the urban problems but they do miss the good things the great cities offer and they quickly decide the serenity isn’t worth the sacrifice, as they interpret how we live here.

They say people are leaving New York, California, Washington, Oregon etc, and moving to rural areas. I think that’s true but...... most will end up in another city. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen violence in the streets in these places and seen people moving out. I’m not suggesting there isn’t a migration but much more of it is simple going into other cities, that will get ruined. It’s not going into the deep rural areas....... at least it’s not..... until the cities get so bad people will be fleeing all of them, just to stay alive. Like they did in WWII and other war torn places.

God help us when that happens.

So....... for those that want a different life style...... it’s still here but if you’re thinking you should change locations, moving to another city isn’t going to change much, accept your optimism........ for a short time.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Re Denver: you have to admit 16th street is better than it was. At least during the daytime.

I’ve not spent any time in Portland, but I have been in downtown Seattle several times. It’s the only place I’ve seen the little taped off morality-free zones. I saw a girl in one laying in her puke in a pile of used syringes. It was someones daughter. :(

I was born 15 miles from electricity. Eventually my family moved to a dusty little town of 4,000. One paved road, and a rail road station. Left there to go to college in a city of 500,000. After college I moved in and out of a number of cities, including some of the largest in the country. In 1975, I was 28, married with two children, living with 500,000 people. My wife wanted to move closer to her family. I told her I’d move one time so, chose wisely. Truth be told I was fed up with big cities and regulations imposed to manage masses of humanity. Out of “more luck than good management” we ended up in a tiny town of 400. I threw out the anchor, and we’re still here, 46 years later. Two hours, in every direction from a town larger than 8,000 people.

While I constantly *****, complain, and worry about the direction the world and our country has been going since the end of the agrarian society and the introduction of the one world concept, that grew out of WWI and WWII and a desire to prevent another world war, it hasn’t effected me personally very much.

My personal experience, ( I recognize most folks don’t have the interest or the opportunity to live like I’ve been able to live), has by an large, been immune from much of the social induced crap that the people in our great cities are enduring.

In 46 years this tiny town has grown by less than 50 people. Still no stores, no sidewalks, no treated drinking water (spring water only), no fire department, no police department (great County Sheriffs though), a city council were people serve on out of duty as opposited to personal agendas, County picks up our trash once a week, kids of all ages play in the streets and in the fields from day light to dark, young mothers socialize on daily walks around our four block perimeter, old men and women shuffle down to the 100 year old. 8’ x 10” post office, mostly to visit and clear the City Bank VISA card application junk mail from their box, about the only strangers we see are distance relatives of long dead ancestors, looking for the Cemetery, two miles north of town. About two thirds of the town know each other well, the other third are mostly made up of folks who come for a few months/years and move on. Some of those we get to know and the rest prefer to be more private or are busy with family/friends or issues else where. It’s quiet, but for an occasional 10 year old racing around on a four wheel and that’s fairly rare. We have horse families, big garden families, hiker families, hunting families, fishing families, boating families, skiers, motorcyclists, team sport families, golfers, and a bunch that seem to do all of the above. Very, very very few that are ever unemployed for an extended period of time. We have 50 times more ambulance sirens than we do police sirens. Our greatest conflicts are over irrigation water limitations which are 99.9% of time short gatherings, where great friends raise there voices for an hour or so, then it’s back to congeniality, until the next time.

Other than the long term concerns I have for our country and our civization, living in rural communities keeps you pretty much insolated from the racist, BLM, environmental, global warming, pandemic, murders, sh!t in the streets, dopers in the doorways, protests, road rage, etc. etc. etc. Over the years, it’s seems, at least, even those that leave those environment and move here don’t stay long. They haven’t lived this way and they don’t miss the urban problems but they do miss the good things the great cities offer and they quickly decide the serenity isn’t worth the sacrifice, as they interpret how we live here.

They say people are leaving New York, California, Washington, Oregon etc, and moving to rural areas. I think that’s true but...... most will end up in another city. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen violence in the streets in these places and seen people moving out. I’m not suggesting there isn’t a migration but much more of it is simple going into other cities, that will get ruined. It’s not going into the deep rural areas....... at least it’s not..... until the cities get so bad people will be fleeing all of them, just to stay alive. Like they did in WWII and other war torn places.

So....... for those that want a different life style...... it’s still here but if you’re thinking you should change locations, moving to another city isn’t going to change much, accept your optimism........ for a short time.

Just saying.
It will be interesting to watch the demographic shifts coming our way 1) as a result of the information age and 2) in response to the social ills that are festering in the big cities.

I don’t believe our government truly supports a rural economy. Too expensive to deliver services to all the wards of the state. Not to mention it fosters independence.

Just saying.

Sadly, a lot of the time, they will find a place they like and turn it into a big city. Completely ruining what it was they thought they liked about it for everyone. Not just themselves.

I have lived in Oregon for 42 years, I only have a couple more left in me. I do a good job of ignoring Portland but Kate Brown has no concept of what it is like to run a business in this state. The Willamette valley will continue to vote her or her type and I want nothing to do with that.

Sadly, a lot of the time, they will find a place they like and turn it into a big city. Completely ruining what it was they thought they liked about it for everyone. Not just themselves.

When people move to be with like minded individuals this is rarely the case. This is exactly what happens when people sell their 800K home and move into a 200k home. When like minded individuals move to a new town they are likely to be blamed for problems that where all ready there

Re Denver: you have to admit 16th street is better than it was. At least during the daytime.

I’ve not spent any time in Portland, but I have been in downtown Seattle several times. It’s the only place I’ve seen the little taped off morality-free zones. I saw a girl in one laying in her puke in a pile of used syringes. It was someones daughter. :(

First time ever in Denver so not arguing better or worse. My wife and I did watch two guys shoot heroin last week on the corner of 17th and Latimer, broad daylight, 7am, while we waited for an Uber to the airport. I rarely am in a situation where I don't know what to do (right or wrong), it was like watching a train wreck. I couldn't stop but didn't want to see it, and gave me an awfully unsettling feeling. Confrontation surely leads to a fight, with company I damn sure don't want to spill blood with. Not saying or doing anything certainly lends it's hand to more of the brazen behavior though...

East Colfax. Used to be an exciting place to cruise. You could find girls behind bullet proof glass doing things.

I once ate at a Church's fried chicken on Colfax. Daylight, 1983 ish timeframe. I overheard some black dudes making fun of the way white people walk. Being an observant young lad, and noting I was the only white guy in the store, I paid for my food and left. And gave them the finger as I pulled away. They followed making all sorts of gestures; I think they must have wanted me to treat their arthritic hands.

When I was in the Navy back in the 80's, we'd do port calls in Portland and Seattle. Always fun and clean places. Typical democrat run cities now...drug infested ****-holes.

Success in rural communities depends largely on the opportunities handed down from generation to generation as small farmers and ranchers inherit their family operations. On the other hand, economic opportunity in the city is driven by a liberal tradition of innovation and change. As much as we despise the liberalism responsible for the decay of these cities, it is their liberal inclination that permits them to become the place where business is conducted and money is made.

But no one prefers filth, so why not eliminate the worst of liberalism while retaining the best? I believe it comes down to drugs, and no one has managed to address this concern. Merle once wrote that country folk "don't smoke," but one generation later Toby Keith glamorized the prospect of getting high with Willie. And now there is scarcely a country artist who doesn't cut his teeth emphasizing destructive behavior. The decay we see in the city is not just spreading into rural areas. It is home-grown. We have been so intent on protecting certain values that we have neglected others. There was a time when high school sports was intended to teach democratic principles such as teamwork and respect for the rules. Now it is every man for himself, and winning is all that matters. So much for teaching democratic principles. And why should we expect the younger generations to play fair with politics if they cannot even observe the rules of a inconsequential game?

This year, my small town high school's academic awards ceremony featured five girls for every boy. Apparently, most of our young men either believe they are going to play pro ball or live with their parents. There will be a lot of disappointed women, unable to rely on their husbands for much support, and a lot of discontented young men blaming a "broken" system that offered them not only a free education but also the easiest life available to anyone on earth, if only they had cared.

Your community, no matter where you live, has its work cut out for it.

Last edited:
Portland sucks and it has for decades. just like most any major city.

Oregon as a whole is doing just fine. the libs have more control than I'd prefer at the state level but here in eastern OR it's the best of both worlds, moderation is the key to success . not much different than SD or WY but you don't have live out the handmaid's tale. and yes that's a good thing.

I was born and raised here and I'll be here until my last day. every time someone moves away to join the skinheads it just makes it better so good riddance nobody will miss you. now all we need is a bounty on californians and it would be perfect.

We have seen many folks from California up to Washington move to TexS to get away from the liberal governments and problems of the left coast. My new neighbors moved here from Washington to get away fro “the democrats”. Good folks but all these migrants from the left coast are causing our land valuations to rise exponentially. In turn our property taxes are going up. And as has been pointed out many of them bring a more liberal point of view with them. The Austin area is turning into another San Fran, Seattle, Portland. Although I live just outside of a city of 125k, at least I can drive up to our small ranch and get away from everyone for a few days at a time.

Most of the people you'll get from Portland and Seattle are just pilgrims from CA who made a stop there before they invaded you. their MO is always the same wherever they gather, pizz and moan about how awful it was where they came from, then mount a force to turn their new home into where they came from. watch and see.

They do bring one good thing with them , money. that's the only reason not to shoot them. I took useless sage and juniper land and sold it to them for insane prices. , they buy a new pickup, a drugstore hat and a lame pony and settle into their new 10 acre " ranch " and think they're Rip Wheeler. don't worry about them running property values up that's their only redeeming quality. cash in on it.

Most of the people you'll get from Portland and Seattle are just pilgrims from CA who made a stop there before they invaded you. their MO is always the same wherever they gather, pizz and moan about how awful it was where they came from, then mount a force to turn their new home into where they came from. watch and see.

They do bring one good thing with them , money. that's the only reason not to shoot them. I took useless sage and juniper land and sold it to them for insane prices. , they buy a new pickup, a drugstore hat and a lame pony and settle into their new 10 acre " ranch " and think they're Rip Wheeler. don't worry about them running property values up that's their only redeeming quality. cash in on it.
That's what's happening in Idaho too, especially around Boise. People traded their values for insane dollars. Party time!

By the time all of the mass exodus from blue states happens, they will flip most if not all, the red states to blue. It amazes me how they can't stand where they currently live bc of high taxes, crime, cost of living, tent cities, filthy living conditions, lawlessness, ect. Then move to the next state "Red" and vote the exact same way that they were running away from!!! WTF??? ?‍????

We have seen many folks from California up to Washington move to TexS to get away from the liberal governments and problems of the left coast. My new neighbors moved here from Washington to get away fro “the democrats”. Good folks but all these migrants from the left coast are causing our land valuations to rise exponentially. In turn our property taxes are going up. And as has been pointed out many of them bring a more liberal point of view with them. The Austin area is turning into another San Fran, Seattle, Portland. Although I live just outside of a city of 125k, at least I can drive up to our small ranch and get away from everyone for a few days at a time.
This describes what is happening to us in Fredericksburg completely. Sad.

By the time all of the mass exodus from blue states happens, they will flip most if not all, the red states to blue. It amazes me how they can't stand where they currently live bc of high taxes, crime, cost of living, tent cities, filthy living conditions, lawlessness, ect. Then move to the next state "Red" and vote the exact same way that they were running away from!!! WTF??? ?‍????
Unfortunately, it’s the same scenario with international migration, people fleeing hunger, corruption, violence, socialism, persecution etc etc, They move here, yet teach their children the same principles they fled from and two generations later, or sooner, they are trying to kill us or change our culture, because their old one was better. Not all, but certainly enough to destroy this county like their old principles and practices destroyed their pervious one.

We have a hard time learning from the past.

As a native American I couldn't agree with you more.

But the irony is not lost either. once I'm in slam the gate, it doesn't get more American than that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom