Can you use a spotlight to scout in Wyoming?

money

Guys please don't crucify me on this one. I grew up in Arizona where it is perfectly legal to scout for deer and elk with a spotlight as long as you don't have a weapon in the vehicle. I am curious if this is also legal in Wyoming? I can't find any information on it. I have found this is extremely effective for finding animals and feel it is 100% ethical as long as no weapon is in the truck. If you haven't tried it you are missing out. just looking for information as to what the law is. I just moved to Wyoming and was curious is all.

If the spotlight aided you in locating the game then the game warden could issue you a citation. Definitely illegal during or slightly before any open hunting season. He might just initially take down your license plate then cross check your hunting licenses for that area. If he later thinks you spotted game while spotlighting which aided and helped you to harvest an animal he could issue you a citation. It’s similar to trying to locate game from the air, that aerial view similar to a night spotlight view helped you know their was game in the area or which frequent that area.

Really! You sound like a crackhead; "If you haven't tried it you are missing out." You just moved to Wyoming, let's hope you don't stay too long. I guess it was only a matter of time before people like this moved here.
You obviously haven't ever tried it then. and i can assure you I am probably one of the most ethical hunters you know and you have no idea what kind of person I am. I'm the kind of guy that 100% distanced myself from my lifelong best friend because i learned he was poaching and had been behind my back for years. Once i found out i cut all ties with him because i believe in obeying the laws, especially while hunting. That is why i asked if it is legal. If it is illegal i will not do it ever. but if it is legal then I have 0 problem doing it even if it hurts your sheltered precious feelings.

It's a genuine question because it is a great tool to figure out where animals like to move and gives you a good starting point for your daytime scouting. it is actually extremely common even though you live under a rock and don't think it is.

If the spotlight aided you in locating the game then the game warden could issue you a citation. Definitely illegal during or slightly before any open hunting season. He might just initially take down your license plate then cross check your hunting licenses for that area. If he later thinks you spotted game while spotlighting which aided and helped you to harvest an animal he could issue you a citation. It’s similar to trying to locate game from the air, that aerial view similar to a night spotlight view helped you know their was game in the area or which frequent that area.
Thank you for kindly answering my question unlike some people. I haven't ever done it during the season. I am asking specifically as a scouting tool in the off season. Like i said it is legal in some states and 100% ethical if you don't have a gun in your truck. Flying for animals is legal and ethical as well as long as it is not during the season so to me one is no worse than the other. I'm not too concerned if people like it or not, i'm only concerned if it is legal. I know not everyone is up to staying out all night driving around and spotlighting to learn areas and what animals are in the area. But some people are and if it is legal it doesn't matter much what those naysayers think.

Ask MM member deerkiller. If anyone would know it would be that clown.
not interested in calling names or causing an issue. It's a genuine question that has a yes or no answer. If it is illegal then I move on. If it is legal I then know it is an option if I so choose to use it. only a handful of areas where it can even be utilized anyway. plus it is just fun to go out and see wildlife that way when you are bored on a weekend.

Call the local GW let him answer that question.
Does Wyoming allow spotlighting for fur bearing animals like Coyotes, Fox, Racoon, Etc.
that would be part of the questions to ask him.

Call the local GW let him answer that question.
Does Wyoming allow spotlighting for fur bearing animals like Coyotes, Fox, Racoon, Etc.
that would be part of the questions to ask him.
wyoming allows coyote and fox calling with a spotlight on private property with written permission but that is all. But that includes having a gun in the vehicle. I have considered calling the game warden and will most likely do so. but i wanted to ask here first rather than bug a game warden when he is busy in the middle of hunting season. i'm just surprised that people act like it's evil. it is literally shining a light into the darkness to view wildlife. Outfitters on the arizona strip use it a lot to locate animals even during the season. Speaking from experience, it is still very hard to find animals in the daylight that you saw in the dark. Flying for animals is far more effective than spotlighting ever is.

not interested in calling names or causing an issue. It's a genuine question that has a yes or no answer. If it is illegal then I move on. If it is legal I then know it is an option if I so choose to use it. only a handful of areas where it can even be utilized anyway. plus it is just fun to go out and see wildlife that way when you are bored on a weekend.
You know what, you are right. I apologize for using your thread to take a shot at someone i despise. I don't have an answer for your question.

You know what, you are right. I apologize for using your thread to take a shot at someone i despise. I don't have an answer for your question.
i can respect that. And if i'm being honest i haven't been spotlighting in probably 5 or 6 years. I just was curious is all because it can be very fun.

literally all it takes is to use this new thing called “google”.

yes you can spotlight but be smart about it and do not have a gun with you. Wyoming is one of the states that can convict you of poaching without you actually pulling the trigger. They convicted some known poachers near Evanston this way about 15ish years ago.

spot lighting , trail cameras, forum posts about animal locations etc etc. ethics are all across the board.

Last edited:

literally all it takes is to use this new thing called “google”.

yes you can spotlight but be smart about it and do not have a gun with you. Wyoming is one of the states that can convict you of poaching without you actually pulling the trigger. They convicted some known poachers near Evanston this way about 15ish years ago.

spot lighting , trail cameras, forum posts about animal locations etc etc. ethics are all across the board.
I looked online for about 2 hours last night and never could find it. but I was also reading a lot of different regulations at the same time so that might be why i missed it. thanks for the help.

I looked online for about 2 hours last night and never could find it. but I was also reading a lot of different regulations at the same time so that might be why i missed it. thanks for the help.
I guess my post came off as an ass. It’s who I am. Especially when sober.

I guess my post came off as an ass. It’s who I am. Especially when sober.
haha. I don't think you were an ass. I can certainly dish it out so I am more than happy to take it as well. I knew full well that i was gonna get $hit for this post because some people don't agree with what i was asking. But that is okay. there are things i don't agree with as well and i often voice my opinion against them.

So the answer is that as long as you don't have a weapon you can spotlight for coyotes on private lands and IF YOU happen to see any big bucks or Bulls please close your eyes.

So the answer is that as long as you don't have a weapon you can spotlight for coyotes on private lands and IF YOU happen to see any big bucks or Bulls please close your eyes.
no you can spotlight with a gun on private land for coyotes and foxes as long as you have landowner written permission. I think on private you can spotlight for other animals as long as you do not have a weapon in the vehicle. That is what i am trying to fully understand/clarify.

I would ask the game and fish or DNR for that particular state, they could give you abetter answer than the folks on here.
our HE group here in NM have a warden attend our class and ask that question for the students and they are amazed at the correct answer(YES IT IS) under the right and legal circumstances. most of the adults that are there either taking the class of just with their kids are also stunned and then educated at the same time.
So ask the LE people just to be sure.

Different states have different laws so it never hurts to ask. When I call a wildlife dept, or GW, I try to do some background work first. Posting on here is a good start.

Although I recently called SD to confirm my tag was good for mule deer and whitetail deer. When the guy on the line said "what kind of deer?" I figured I'd just wasted my dime!! Or in these days, my minutes!

So the moral of the story, read the regs, if it isn't clear, post on here. You'll get ALL kinds of help! :D Then confirm with the wildlife dept or GW, and hope you don't get the guy that doesn't know what a mule deer is!

Different states have different laws so it never hurts to ask. When I call a wildlife dept, or GW, I try to do some background work first. Posting on here is a good start.

Although I recently called SD to confirm my tag was good for mule deer and whitetail deer. When the guy on the line said "what kind of deer?" I figured I'd just wasted my dime!! Or in these days, my minutes!

So the moral of the story, read the regs, if it isn't clear, post on here. You'll get ALL kinds of help! :D Then confirm with the wildlife dept or GW, and hope you don't get the guy that doesn't know what a mule deer is!
Yes you will get help just maybe not the kind you want!!!
If you have thin skin this is not the forum to be on. Just sayin
You can still see animals in the dark if you want just use trail cams like everyone else does.

From page 4 of regs:
Artificial Light for Hunting Prohibited; Exception. No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except that predators may be taken with the aid of an artificial light or lighting device by: (i) A public officer authorized to and conducting predator control; (ii) A landowner, resident manager or person with the landowner’s or a resident manager’s written permission to take predators, on land under the landowner’s control for the protection of their property. It is prima facie evidence of a violation if a person uses an artificial light in an area that may be inhabited by wildlife while having in their possession and control any device for taking wildlife. This shall not prohibit the hunting on foot of raccoon with the aid of a handlight, provided the hunter is accompanied by a raccoon hunting dog and, if hunting on private land(s), has the written permission of the landowner or their agent.

From page 4 of regs:
Artificial Light for Hunting Prohibited; Exception. No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except that predators may be taken with the aid of an artificial light or lighting device by: (i) A public officer authorized to and conducting predator control; (ii) A landowner, resident manager or person with the landowner’s or a resident manager’s written permission to take predators, on land under the landowner’s control for the protection of their property. It is prima facie evidence of a violation if a person uses an artificial light in an area that may be inhabited by wildlife while having in their possession and control any device for taking wildlife. This shall not prohibit the hunting on foot of raccoon with the aid of a handlight, provided the hunter is accompanied by a raccoon hunting dog and, if hunting on private land(s), has the written permission of the landowner or their agent.
i think this sentence right here sums it up stating it is illegal to spotlight if you have a gun/weapon. but without a gun/weapon it appears to be fully legal.

1602277438647.png

This brings us back to the original question of this post. Is it legal to "scout" with a spotlight? What is considered "scouting" and what is considered "hunting"?

I have a feeling that it would be tough for a game warden to hand out a ticket If someone is driving around at midnight with headlights on without a gun in a truck out in the boonies. What exactly is considered "hunting" and what is "scouting?"

I can understand how it would be illegal to have a weapon in a vehicle with a spotlight but what about driving around with headlights? A hunter may be just returning back to camp from getting gas and a meal in town? I guess it would be up to the game warden or sheriff to prove that someone is hunting rather than just driving back to camp.

Personally, I don't believe driving up and down roads at night with just headlights and no weapon is "ethical" but others may think it is ok.

This brings us back to the original question of this post. Is it legal to "scout" with a spotlight? What is considered "scouting" and what is considered "hunting"?

I have a feeling that it would be tough for a game warden to hand out a ticket If someone is driving around at midnight with headlights on without a gun in a truck out in the boonies. What exactly is considered "hunting" and what is "scouting?"

I can understand how it would be illegal to have a weapon in a vehicle with a spotlight but what about driving around with headlights? A hunter may be just returning back to camp from getting gas and a meal in town? I guess it would be up to the game warden or sheriff to prove that someone is hunting rather than just driving back to camp.

Personally, I don't believe driving up and down roads at night with just headlights and no weapon is "ethical" but others may think it is ok.
Your reading comprehension sucks. You can scout with a spotlight. It’s pretty black and white. Good grief.

Slightlysober, sorry to raise your hackles! What I was trying to get across is where is the line drawn between scouting and hunting?

It's also an ethics issue. Everyone likely has their own opinion on how ethical it is to "scout" with a spotlight during hunting season. I have a feeling that it would save a lot of headaches for game wardens during the season if the use of spotlights was illegal with or without a weapon in a truck during hunting season. They wouldn't be running around as much all night chasing "scouters" and/or "poachers" using spotlights!

Something else not brought up is whether using a spotlight at night is harassing wildlife? I'm pretty sure there are wildlife harassment tickets that could be written up by wardens during rifle season?

Slightlysober, sorry to raise your hackles! What I was trying to get across is where is the line drawn between scouting and hunting?

It's also an ethics issue. Everyone likely has their own opinion on how ethical it is to "scout" with a spotlight during hunting season. I have a feeling that it would save a lot of headaches for game wardens during the season if the use of spotlights was illegal with or without a weapon in a truck during hunting season. They wouldn't be running around as much all night chasing "scouters" and/or "poachers" using spotlights!

Something else not brought up is whether using a spotlight at night is harassing wildlife? I'm pretty sure there are wildlife harassment tickets that could be written up by wardens during rifle season?
Again, read the regulations. It’s black and white. Why are you so dramatic? How often are Game Wardens running around chasing spotlighters? You’re seriously trying to make something out of nothing.

Harassing wildlife? Again, you’re making nothing into something. Why don’t you look up the harassment laws? It will help cut down on your word vomit.

I’m honestly enjoying the conversation. Truly was not hoping to upset anyone or cause drama. Was just an honest question I was curious about. I don’t plan on doing it much and definitely not during the season. Mainly as a summer scouting tool in areas close to me that are accessible via truck. That is only a small area and only something to do those boring summer nights.

I’m honestly enjoying the conversation. Truly was not hoping to upset anyone or cause drama. Was just an honest question I was curious about. I don’t plan on doing it much and definitely not during the season. Mainly as a summer scouting tool in areas close to me that are accessible via truck. That is only a small area and only something to do those boring summer nights.
Summer? Next @jims will be wanting the definition of summer! WHERE IS THE LINE DRAWN BETWEEN SUMMER AND FALL??!

FFS

Again, read the regulations. It’s black and white. Why are you so dramatic? How often are Game Wardens running around chasing spotlighters? You’re seriously trying to make something out of nothing.

Harassing wildlife? Again, you’re making nothing into something. Why don’t you look up the harassment laws? It will help cut down on your word vomit.
You may think so but it’s the Game Wardens opinion who counts when he writes you a citation if you spotlight to use that observance of the game to aid you in its whereabouts. The statute reads:
Wyoming Statute 23-3-306(b)
“No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except as otherwise provided...”

We all know having a rifle in hand and spotlighting is illegal but the Game Warden could view and observe you spotlighting one night in a field where game frequents. He then sees you the next morning in that area with rifle in hand and a big buck down. He could issue you a citation based upon the artificial light of a spotlight the night before aided you in the taking of that big game. This is why spotting from aircraft or using spotlights at night are not always legal and have restrictions as the use of these methods can “Aid”. In the taking of that big game which you wouldn’t have likely known about. It’s important to read the regulation then determine its legal intent. It’s all not as black and white as you seem to think.

You may think so but it’s the Game Wardens opinion who counts when he writes you a citation if you spotlight to use that observance of the game to aid you in its whereabouts. The statute reads:
“No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except as otherwise provided...”

We all know having a rifle in hand and spotlighting is illegal but the Game Warden could view and observe you spotlighting one night in a field where game frequents. He then sees you the next morning in that area with rifle in hand and a big buck down. He could issue you a citation based upon the artificial light of a spotlight the night before aided you in the taking of that big game. This is why spotting from aircraft or using spotlights at night are not always legal and have restrictions as the use of these methods can “Aid”. In the taking of that big game which you wouldn’t have likely known about. It’s important to read the regulation then determine its legal intent. It’s all not as black and white as you seem to think.
^^^ This is not correct. Using a spotlight the night before a hunt, is not considered aiding in the take of an animal the next day or a week later for that matter. It is amazing what a couple on here are reading into the law that is not there.

But, be prepared to have your vehicle searched should you contact a GW while spotlighting.

Last edited:
Had an interesting convo with our GW about lights, he made it clear that even using your headlights while in possession of a firearm would be considered spotlighting.
Summer spotlighting might help with early season archery but once they rub off the bucks will disperse and have a different pattern, well mostly.

It's a good practice to let the local GW know if you want to use a light at night.

Think of all the spotlighters driving the interstate and highway. You guys are breaking the law if you’re driving to your hunting area in the dark and you see wildlife along the road @jims @highfastflyer

“This is not correct. Using a spotlight the night before a hunt, is not considered aiding in the take of an animal the next day”. Try telling that to the Warden when he issues you a citation as he has Evidence demonstrating how the spotlighting that deer the night before in the hay meadow “AIDED” you the next morning to shoot that big buck. Likewise, many items which aid you illegally or help you locate, call, bait, spot are considered Illegal activities. Spotlighting statute clearly states.
“No person shall take any wildlife with the “aid“ of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except as otherwise provided...”

Here in Colo the CPW has a mounted muley buck that actually moves. They set it up in different spots during the hunting season and keep their eye on it at night. They often hand out 1 to 3 tickets to each guy that drives by and either spotlights or shines their headlights on the buck. Maybe the WG&F game wardens have something similar......you never know? Is it worth losing your hunting privilege?

“This is not correct. Using a spotlight the night before a hunt, is not considered aiding in the take of an animal the next day”. Try telling that to the Warden when he issues you a citation as he has Evidence demonstrating how the spotlighting that deer the night before in the hay meadow “AIDED” you the next morning to shoot that big buck. Likewise, many items which aid you illegally or help you locate, call, bait, spot are considered Illegal activities. Spotlighting statute clearly states.
“No person shall take any wildlife with the “aid“ of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except as otherwise provided...”
Your attempt to appear to know Wyoming law and what wardens can do is laughable. A person needs to be in the act of taking, to be guilty of a crime for using artificial light. If the words "or scout" were included you would be correct.

"Take" means hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess;

Go for it JM! Let us know how it turns out!
Why so snarky Jim? It's guys like you that ruin this forum. You lead everyone on with all this advise about Wyoming, even though a lot of it is fantasy and then you make comments like this because some don't agree with you. Sure would be nice if everyone would just get along.

How's the spotlighting going in 90?

Here in Colo the CPW has a mounted muley buck that actually moves. They set it up in different spots during the hunting season and keep their eye on it at night. They often hand out 1 to 3 tickets to each guy that drives by and either spotlights or shines their headlights on the buck. Maybe the WG&F game wardens have something similar......you never know? Is it worth losing your hunting privilege?
Cool story bro. Feel free to share some links of stories where someone spotlighted a deer, didn’t fire a shot and lost their hunting privileges in CO. Oh and btw we are talking about WY on this thread. But for entertainment sake let’s see those articles Jim.

Like my 7 year old says “SERIOUSLY?”

have you ever used a headlamp to walk in the dark to a spot? That is AIDING your hunt to get wildlife. YOURE A FRICKIN POACHER! Same with Jims! A headlamp is artificial light!

HEADLAMPS ARE ILLEGAL IN WYOMING!!! FFS @highfastflyer @jims

I’m going to turn you guys in!!!

Since I’m an internet purist we waited until 9am to go chase antelope. We even turned the daytime running lights off. Which is tricky to do with the newer trucks. I would of loved to been out there at first light! But according to @highfastflyer and @jims using headlights to aid us to our hunting spot would of been illegal.

We also didn’t park on the side of the interstate out of respect for TopGun. #RIP

Since I’m an internet purist we waited until 9am to go chase antelope. We even turned the daytime running lights off. Which is tricky to do with the newer trucks. I would of loved to been out there at first light! But according to @highfastflyer and @jims using headlights to aid us to our hunting spot would of been illegal.

We also didn’t park on the side of the interstate out of respect for TopGun. #RIP
Better be careful with those headlights. A neighbor saw a fox run across the road at dawn, he stopped and turned his truck around as the Game Warden was going the other direction and saw it all and gave him a ticket for spotlighting. His .22 was in the shell but the Game Warden issued a citation for spotlighting.

N
Your attempt to appear to know Wyoming law and what wardens can do is laughable. A person needs to be in the act of taking, to be guilty of a crime for using artificial light. If the words "or scout" were included you would be correct.

"Take" means hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess;
Nice try at feebly attempting to redefine the statute. Your Ignorance is apparent and your Delusion at adding qualifiers to the statute which don’t exist. I suggest you read the statute and learn what the definition of “AID” means. It doesn’t say immediate Aid it merely says did it provide “AID”. If I set a trap it doesn’t “TAKE”. the animal immediately but it still is a loaded trap and is providing “AID”. to help you catch the critter. I suggest you stop trying to be an armchair lawyer as your Ineptness and Ignorance is abundant.

Better be careful with those headlights. A neighbor saw a fox run across the road at dawn, he stopped and turned his truck around as the Game Warden was going the other direction and saw it all and gave him a ticket for spotlighting. His .22 was in the shell but the Game Warden issued a citation for spotlighting.
Bullshit

N

Nice try at feebly attempting to redefine the statute. Your Ignorance is apparent and your Delusion at adding qualifiers to the statute which don’t exist. I suggest you read the statute and learn what the definition of “AID” means. It doesn’t say immediate Aid it merely says did it provide “AID”. If I set a trap it doesn’t “TAKE”. the animal immediately but it still is a loaded trap and is providing “AID”. to help you catch the critter. I suggest you stop trying to be an armchair lawyer as your Ineptness and Ignorance is abundant.
The fact that you don't know how definitions are used in law, particularly the definition of "take", makes it blatantly obvious you simply choose to come on here and make baseless arguments.

The fact that you don't know how definitions are used in law, particularly the definition of "take", makes it blatantly obvious you simply choose to come on here and make baseless arguments.
What you claim as facts are merely fallacious assertions, adding and feebly attempting to redefine the law. Something they teach first year Law Students to Avoid. Next time don’t display your Ignorance of the law or the Game Warden may issue you a citation for Illegally “Aiding” your pursuit in the take of a game animal.

Your headlights were pretty bright all day chasing elk, glad the bounced off the rocks when we split at 11 am helped us big time spot that bull!! Thanks again for yours and fall masters help!! Good good times @Slightlysober

Yes that is what most of what you post contains. Especially when there are citations issued for the exact Ignorance you spread. Next time try learning and reading what the law really states as your IGNORANCE of Wyoming Law is apparent.
Riiiiight. The sad thing is you actually believe you are right. But hey show us where a citation has been written and I’ll eat crow. I did share this post with one of a game warden who is a family friend and he sure did laugh at your posts and Jim’s. But hey what do I know and a Wyoming game warden who has 25 years in?

Your headlights were pretty bright all day chasing elk, glad the bounced off the rocks when we split at 11 am helped us big time spot that bull!! Thanks again for yours and fall masters help!! Good good times @Slightlysober
@DoubleDropMuley good times for sure. Couldn’t figure out how to turn the headlights off so I self reported to the local warden. Shared the link to this thread and he died laughing.

if this wind dies down we are headed back out. Not sure if it’s wind or @highfastflyer ’s hot air...

Riiiiight. The sad thing is you actually believe you are right. But hey show us where a citation has been written and I’ll eat crow. I did share this post with one of a game warden who is a family friend and he sure did laugh at your posts and Jim’s. But hey what do I know and a Wyoming game warden who has 25
You are so full of crap?

The controls are in it's azz. Important to know when you pull over, load your gun, walk 50' from the centerline of the road, and shoot it. Hurry tho because the fishcops are hiding in the trees listening.;)

What you claim as facts are merely fallacious assertions, adding and feebly attempting to redefine the law. Something they teach first year Law Students to Avoid. Next time don’t display your Ignorance of the law or the Game Warden may issue you a citation for Illegally “Aiding” your pursuit in the take of a game animal.
Strange!
Open up the Wyoming Statutes TITLE 23 Game & Fish laws and what do you find first?

231101 Definitions of Wildlife

Followed by:

231102 General Definitions (which happens to define "take")

I'm not going to school you anymore because you have some twisted sort of delusion that you know what you are talking about, but obviously you don't.

Carry on...

Last edited:
Strange!
Open up the Wyoming Statutes TITLE 23 Game & Fish laws and what do you find first?

231101 Definitions of Wildlife

Followed by:

231102 General Definitions (which happens to define "take")

I'm not going to school you anymore because you have some twisted sort of delusion that you know what you are talking about, but obviously you don't.

Carry on...
Perhaps you should read those definitions in Statute 23. “Take" means hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess;”. None of this denotes with immediate affect. As a matter of fact the act of taking can be trapping which could take up to weeks to harvest an animal. Using a spotlight the evening before the hunt and using it as an “Aid” to take the big buck the next morning is certainly considered “Aiding”. Your Ignorance and fallacious attempt to try and redefine Known statutes is apparent here. Just as with using aircraft used to “Aid” is an illegal activity. “no person shall use any aircra?ft to spot, locate and AID in the taking of any trophy game animal during any open season. This Aid under the aircraft statute is not with immediate effect. If you fly and spot game then pass on those illegal sightings to a friend who goes up the next morning and uses your scouting information then he has used “Illegal “AID” so it can be used as Evidence by a game warden if you used a spotlight which in the future allowed you to gain an Illegally obtained sighting of an animal which was later taken.

Riiiiight. The sad thing is you actually believe you are right. But hey show us where a citation has been written and I’ll eat crow. I did share this post with one of a game warden who is a family friend and he sure did laugh at your posts and Jim’s. But hey what do I know and a Wyoming game warden who has 25 years in?
I already gave you an example of my neighbor. PM me and I’ll give you his number but I doubt you will as Cowards only claim they will eat crow but when disproven they only eat their own BULLSHIT.

You know he has a fish and game friend that’s got 25 years of vast knowledge right? ?
Cooper if you’re going to get on here and make replies are least make them funny. They are just sad. Btw I like your new avatar pic. But I do miss the one where you were hold hands with the other guy and those old moose sheds. Probably the closest you’ll get to holding a moose rack ????

I already gave you an example of my neighbor. PM me and I’ll give you his number but I doubt you will as Cowards only claim they will eat crow but when disproven they only eat their own BULLSHIT.
Why would I want to talk to your neighbor? So I get more hearsay? Is he even ok with you giving out his number? That’s sad and creepy. You’re getting really desperate and if you’re so by the law how is that convincing to someone? You’ve gone too far trying to prove how you interpret the law. Why don’t you man up and just admit you’re wrong?

Hey I got another question for you that might help out. Do you call them snowmachines or snowmobiles?

Why would I want to talk to your neighbor? So I get more hearsay? Is he even ok with you giving out his number? That’s sad and creepy. You’re getting really desperate and if you’re so by the law how is that convincing to someone? You’ve gone too far trying to prove how you interpret the law. Why don’t you man up and just admit you’re wrong?

Hey I got another question for you that might help out. Do you call them snowmachines or snowmobiles?
What is surely sad, creepy and demented is how you refuse to even acknowledge how spotlighting laws have been enforced in the past. Just shows your arrogance and dim -witted-ness. My neighbor was more than hearsay that’s called an ACTUAL EXAMPLE. Obvious and known examples of using artificial light of a spotlight is an illegal activity and your Delusional and feeble attempts to recognize it are very clear here. I suggest you get some professional help as it seems like you desperately need it.

What is surely sad, creepy and demented is how you refuse to even acknowledge how spotlighting laws have been enforced in the past. Just shows your arrogance and dim -witted-ness. My neighbor was more than hearsay that’s called an ACTUAL EXAMPLE. Obvious and known examples of using artificial light of a spotlight is an illegal activity and your Delusional and feeble attempts to recognize it are very clear here. I suggest you get some professional help as it seems like you desperately need it.
@highfastflyer you just don’t get it. It’s ok. You’re wrong. what that means is you can’t be using artificial light while you are attempting to take wildlife. It’s pretty damn clear. They couldn’t make it any more clear for you. You’re just that dense. The night before opener you can run around with a spotlight all you want. Just don’t have a gun with you.

It’s ok you’re wrong. Deal with it.

Jacklighting is the practice of shining a light into a forest or a field at night, to find animals for hunting. This can be done with car headlights, spotlights, searchlights or other lights, mounted on a vehicle or not. The animals are temporarily blinded and stand still, making it easier for hunters to kill them, making it Illegal in most states.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-jacklighting-127891
It is not illegal in Wyoming to go spotlighting animals.

Cooper if you’re going to get on here and make replies are least make them funny. They are just sad. Btw I like your new avatar pic. But I do miss the one where you were hold hands with the other guy and those old moose sheds. Probably the closest you’ll get to holding a moose rack ????
That was my son, maybe if you paid child support you could take yours hunting

Let the dog out the other night and turned on porch light damn there was a buck sniffing him on the grass and following him around, wished I never turned on the light to see this!! Could be in trouble!!?

Ss, why do you call them snow machines? Does it sound cooler? Like how you’d rather people call your house a modular and not a mobile home ?

It is not illegal in Wyoming to go spotlighting animals.
There are many, many restrictions on spotlighting animals, you just don’t understand the law and try to think you somehow are above known law and citations are issued all the time for certain illegal activities. I suggest you stop displaying your blatant IGNORANCE.

@highfastflyer you just don’t get it. It’s ok. You’re wrong. what that means is you can’t be using artificial light while you are attempting to take wildlife. It’s pretty damn clear. They couldn’t make it any more clear for you. You’re just that dense. The night before opener you can run around with a spotlight all you want. Just don’t have a gun with you.

It’s ok you’re wrong. Deal with it.
Can you fly an airplane around all day, the day before the hunt? Answer, NEGATIVE, It is ILLEGAL. The reason it is Illegal is it provides an Illegal “Aid” for scouting. Just as with spotlighting the night before the opener if the game warden observes you using that spotlight to provide “Aid” in scouting or knowing the location of the animals the next morning then he has Evidence you violated the known statute. Your Ignorance and Obtuseness are becoming ever so apparent. Attempting to take wildlife does not have to be immediate just as with trapping or scouting from an aircraft. Providing info. for the next morning is still info. obtained as an Illegal Aid for a later taking of wildlife.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should read those definitions in Statute 23. “Take" means hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess;”. None of this denotes with immediate affect. As a matter of fact the act of taking can be trapping which could take up to weeks to harvest an animal. Using a spotlight the evening before the hunt and using it as an “Aid” to take the big buck the next morning is certainly considered “Aiding”. Your Ignorance and fallacious attempt to try and redefine Known statutes is apparent here. Just as with using aircraft used to “Aid” is an illegal activity. “no person shall use any aircra?ft to spot, locate and AID in the taking of any trophy game animal during any open season. This Aid under the aircraft statute is not with immediate effect. If you fly and spot game then pass on those illegal sightings to a friend who goes up the next morning and uses your scouting information then he has used “Illegal “AID” so it can be used as Evidence by a game warden if you used a spotlight which in the future allowed you to gain an Illegally obtained sighting of an animal which was later taken.
Oh alright, I'll school you again.

Your comparison of the aircraft statute to this is not even close. Let's see that whole regulation that includes the timeline.

"Section 12. Use of Aircraft to Spot or Locate Wildlife. No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Additionally, no person shall use any aircraft to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any trophy game animal during any open season. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport."

I won't further explain this other than to say if you scout from a plane, (like you used to do all the time during hunting season), on July 31st, than you are not in violation. Get it?

Scouting with the aid of a light, no weapon in vehicle, is not even addressed in statute or regulation.

Oh alright, I'll school you again.

Your comparison of the aircraft statute to this is not even close. Let's see that whole regulation that includes the timeline.

"Section 12. Use of Aircraft to Spot or Locate Wildlife. No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Additionally, no person shall use any aircraft to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any trophy game animal during any open season. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport."

I won't further explain this other than to say if you scout from a plane, (like you used to do all the time during hunting season), on July 31st, than you are not in violation. Get it?

Scouting with the aid of a light, no weapon in vehicle, is not even addressed in statute or regulation.
“No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal”. FOCUS on that part and you’re getting close to what the spotlighting statute says in similar fashion. You’re learning but still very inept at legal intent and meaning.
“No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except as otherwise provided.

“No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal”. FOCUS on that part and you’re getting close to what the spotlighting statute says in similar fashion. You’re learning but still very inept at legal intent and meaning.
“No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial light or lighting device except as otherwise provided.

To ease your mind just got this from the game warden: "You can spotlight as long as you don't have a gun in the vehicle and then go shoot him the next day"

Schooled you again...

Rough day out so far. Only seen 12 bulls, all 6 points. No shooters yet. We are talking about going out spotlighting tonight to find a shooter tomorrow. Calm your **** @highfastflyer my pops works for the sheriff Dept so we will turn ourselves in tomorrow!

To ease your mind just got this from the game warden: "You can spotlight as long as you don't have a gun in the vehicle and then go shoot him the next day"

Schooled you again...
As I have Ben saying all along. Don’t go shoot him the next day as we all know the “Aid” the spotlight provided is the main source of how you were able to spot and locating the animal. Amazing how the Game Warden knows the law and taught you a lesson. I rest my case.

Last edited:
Rough day out so far. Only seen 12 bulls, all 6 points. No shooters yet. We are talking about going out spotlighting tonight to find a shooter tomorrow. Calm your **** @highfastflyer my pops works for the sheriff Dept so we will turn ourselves in tomorrow!
You sound like a little man Napoleonic complex, probably your ex-wife laughed at how small your teeny tiny penis really is and it gives you a complex. I hope you do go spotlighting for those elk so the Game Warden can help cure you of your Ignorance and wee little man’s complex.

You sound like a little man Napoleonic complex, probably your ex-wife laughed at how small your teeny tiny penis really is and it gives you a complex. I hope you do go spotlighting for those elk so the Game Warden can help cure you of your Ignorance and wee little man’s complex.
??????

Nothing we can do about the size it’s god given but when it is 1000000000000000000000 candle power it brightens any lady’s day And usually at the night ?

You're probably going to find variations of interpretation of law. LE (warden, sheriff's office), prosecutor, and judge being the key interpreters. To the OP, consult with the warden and country attorney's office in your area. Their interpretation is what counts. If need be, get an 'okay to do' in writing.

You're probably going to find variations of interpretation of law.
If that's true it's lousy law and easily beat in court.

But I already posted what the warden said and anyone with reasonable reading comprehension can read the regulation and figure it out. SMH that people think the LEO are out there trying to take everyone to the cleaners by misinterpreting the law.

If that's true it's lousy law and easily beat in court.

But I already posted what the warden said and anyone with reasonable reading comprehension can read the regulation and figure it out. SMH that people think the LEO are out there trying to take everyone to the cleaners by misinterpreting the law.
Yes anyone with BASIC Reading Comprehension can ascertain you cannot use Illegal aids which will benefit your ability to scout and locate game like Spotlighting, Spotting from an aircraft, electronic calls just as the statutes clarify.

TITLE 23 - GAME AND FISH
CHAPTER 3 - GENERAL REGULATORY PROVISIONS
23-3-306. Use of aircraft, automobiles, motorized and snow vehicles and artificial light for hunting​

prohibited; exception; penalties.​

I should have never read this thread......I knew there were dumb people in the world....I just didn't realize how dumb...I'm going to go stab my eyes out with an ice pick....

No need as that is what idiots like you do when you use spotlights in order to Illegally “Aid” you the night before the hunt to locate game so you can take it the next morning.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom