Canada Hunting Ban

fullcry

Several of the Canadian Fall Auction hunts have been pulled Off the docket.
Rumor is ALL Canadian hunting will be shut down until next year.
I sure hope it’s not true.

I hate to hear that. I am booked with an outfitter for an Alberta whitetail hunt. I already have money invested in this hunt but the outfitter has said if the hunt doesn't happen due to government regulations he will just move the hunts to next year.

Thanks for posting. If you hear anything else please post it. I will be watching for info also.

It wouldn't surprise me if they canceled. Trudeau is an anti gun liberal which usually means anti hunting also. Trudeau may be like some liberal US Governors that are using the pandemic to further their liberal agenda by closing gun stores.

For what it is worth my outfitter called me a week ago and ask to postpone my Dall Sheep hunt in the Yukon. I was schedule to leave the states July 29th.

Was told hunting will be considered foreign tourism and will be the last phase to open. Not sure if that was for all of Canada or just Yukon.

Canada and the US have extended the border closure until July 21st. But it's likely it will get extended again.

I am supposed to be on a dall sheep hunt in the NWT starting August 4th. Our guide hasn’t called it yet but I am thinking the odds are not in my favor.

What outfitter are you booked with? We are with MMO and they haven’t canceled anything yet?
For what it is worth my outfitter called me a week ago and ask to postpone my Dall Sheep hunt in the Yukon. I was schedule to leave the states July 29th.

Was told hunting will be considered foreign tourism and will be the last phase to open. Not sure if that was for all of Canada or just Yukon.

What outfitter are you booked with? We are with MMO and they haven’t canceled anything yet?

Ruby Range, I was able to rebook with no problems to a later date. Think it worked out the best as Air Canada was doing all types of crazy stuff with my flights.

I think the travel ban goes till July 21st now so not sure when you are suppose to fly out, but I think it wouldn't hurt to reach out to start to get a plan together. MMO has a great reputation.

There is no way the NWT or pretty much any other territory will open up to foreign hunters any time soon. Europe is looking at putting a travel ban on US citizens because the virus is out of control. Canada is crazy conservative and I’d bet you a steak dinner most if not all of this year’s hunting season to non residents will be cancelled. Maybe mid to late September we are let in at the earliest.

Worse yet is that guys who booked long ago for 2021 and 2022 slots will probably get screwed, as the outfitters will most likely elect to give their hunt slots to the guys who aren't allowed to hunt this year. Personally, as a displaced 2020 hunter, I'm not asking someone else to give up their future hunt slot due to my bad luck, but would instead prefer that the outfitter place me into the first open slot available in a future year.

Also BTW, it's already fact that MMO and every other NT outfitter will have to cancel at least some of their 2020 hunts, since their first hunts start July 15th and the earliest time foreigners can legally enter as of right now is after July 21st, and that target date keeps advancing forward.

Basically Ruby Range was slotting guys over 2022 through 2026, filling in openings and have no more than 2 refills a year. Seemed like a fair way to me, I'm going 2023. Not ideal but outfitters are taking it on the chin with this.

Nobody wins in this situation, if I had a hunt booked for ‘21 or any year following I’d expect to get bumped back one year. My brothers and I booked our hunt in feb 2018 for August 2020. I’m hoping/expecting to hunt in 2021...I’ve already waited three hunting seasons with deposits paid...to get pushed back another 2-3 years doesn’t seem reasonable to me...just my.02

My good friend and I booked with MMO in 2018 for July of this year. We are paid in full and had all travel arrangements made. We just got bumped to 2022. I see both sides of this. There is nothing good about this. I dont want to wait another 2 years. I’m going to make a call and see what they say. What is all of your opinions? PM if you want.

My good friend and I booked with MMO in 2018 for July of this year. We are paid in full and had all travel arrangements made. We just got bumped to 2022. I see both sides of this. There is nothing good about this. I dont want to wait another 2 years. I’m going to make a call and see what they say. What is all of your opinions? PM if you want.

If you are flying on Canadian North you will lose your tickets. They said vouchers must be used by the end of 2021.

I feel everyone should be moved back a year or the outfitter can cover any lost costs due to the airlines. $800 isn’t much but he’s asking you to throw it away vs someone who hasn’t invested any money in tickets yet. Plus you have paid more in deposits vs the 2021 hunters at this point in time.

I have heard some are bumping everyone a year and others are moving 2020 to 2022. They are in a tough position but In my opinion clients shouldn’t have to lose money on this decision if tickets are lost.

my two brothers and I are with Stan and MMO as well and got an email today saying 2022. I honesty think it’s BS, knowing people who booked in 2019 get to keep their 2021 hunt and leap frog us. We booked in early 2018. They have zero air fair booked and should be expecting everyone to get bumped 1 yr. we will have a 5 hunting season wait now...we are booked for dall sheep and mtn caribou with dates of August 4-15th...?

I don't believe this is easy for anyone, especially for the outfitters who are right now getting an earful from clients, and yet the outfitters are the ones suffering truly huge financial losses. Their decision to move one set of hunters (those booked for 2020) to open dates probably makes the most sense to them, because it blows up the fewest schedules. For these type of hunts so many guys book up their Aug/Sept schedule across the next 3 years or more, so bumping everyone in every year would no doubt cause even more chaos and discord.

Yeah sticksender, it has to be a complete mess for them...nobody wins that’s for sure. I talked with Stan and he is doing his best and I know when we are up there it will be a hunt of a lifetime no matter the year.

I'm in 2021 but I hope I don't get 'bumped' for someone that is getting displaced this year.

Maybe 2 on 1 instead of 1 on 1...?

Robb

Canada border closing now extended to August 21st. But I think most of the August sheep hunters know by now that they aren't going.

Ya
You could just see it coming.
It will be interesting To see if anybody tries to book late hunts if it opens up.
Tough to be ready for a sheep hunt with little prep time.May be able to find a last second deal if they open up.

I'm starting to worry about getting into BC--Smithers area in 2021 now that this C-19 just keeps getting worse.

Robb

Right now I can’t even tell you how relieved
I am for doing my Stone Sheep Hunt last year.
It’s hard enough to get ready when you know
For sure it’s game on.
Getting ready on a maybe would be terrible.
Especially if you had to stay ready for a couple years ..

Ya
You could just see it coming.
It will be interesting To see if anybody tries to book late hunts if it opens up.
Tough to be ready for a sheep hunt with little prep time.May be able to find a last second deal if they open up.

I guess that'd be the one potential silver lining. I doubt there will be many deals though as there are others like me who have been working all year and haven't taken any vacations so far. Planning on putting some extra time to my WY elk tag but will definitely keep an eye on these last minute hunts too this year.

Hopefully some of the guys that were booked this year get those kinds of deals offered to them first though!

Closure now extended to November 21st.

Well that has gotten all the August sheep hunters, September moose hunters and now the November whitetail and mule deer hunters.

One good thing(I guess) is that for those of us that are having our hunts carried over to next year there should be some quality animals since hunting pressure should be light this year.

Closure now extended to November 21st.

Well that has gotten all the August sheep hunters, September moose hunters and now the November whitetail and mule deer hunters.

One good thing(I guess) is that for those of us that are having our hunts carried over to next year there should be some quality animals since hunting pressure should be light this year.
That is a silver lining, but damn I'd just be frickin' pissed! My condolences to all who have been screwed over due to this pandemic.

If they are expecting everyone in the US and Canada to be vaccinated before they open the border then the August 2021 sheep hunts could be in jeopardy.
It's difficult to say how they will determine opening.

I know it sucks, I finally came to grips with my 2020 hunt being rescheduled and now I have to be concerned about 2021.

Possibly when 70% of the people in both countries have been vaccinated we will reach herd immunity and the pandemic will be over.

I have a Wolf hunt booked for March in Alberta.
My full time outfitter had Zero hunts for Whitetail or anything this year.
They are really hurting up there.
Doesn’t sound like the government is giving them any free money.

I know it sucks, I finally came to grips with my 2020 hunt being rescheduled and now I have to be concerned about 2021.

Possibly when 70% of the people in both countries have been vaccinated we will reach herd immunity and the pandemic will be over.
You first have to get 70% to agree to be vaccinated
And i know my wife and i will NOT be part of that 70%

Actually you just need a combination of vaccinations and people that have had it to be 70% to get herd immunity. So you can be in the group that has had it.

It's difficult to say how borders are going to reopen. One way is to reach herd immunity and the virus just goes away, minimal new cases.

Vaccination cards, don't know, maybe, maybe not. With vaccines being 94% effective it isn't guaranteed that a vaccinated person couldn't transmit the disease.

But at some point if countries want to reopen they will have to accept some risk. I think at some point when new cases per day reach some number they will reopen. I don't know what number they will accept, if it will be in the hundreds or thousands.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Canada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Outstanding waterfowl or whitetail deer hunt in beautiful Saskatchewan, Canada.

Urge 2 Hunt

Premier hunts in Alberta for trophy whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose and black bear. Guaranteed tags.

Back
Top Bottom