Can't decide which mini DV camcorder

H

hallra7

I've been trying to find the right mini dv for at least 2 month and can't decide which one to get. I need a good optical zoom for filming deer and elk. I have been considering the Canon ZR 50 for its optical zoom and price, I need to stay under $800.00. Does anybody have any suggestions or Have mini DV's they like and would buy again, any help would be appreciated. thanks!!!!!

I have the Cannon Gl-1. It is around $2,000. What I have learned when buying this camera is get the highest optical Zoom you can afford. See if anybody makes a doubler for it also. The other features that are nice are being able to adjust my F stop and shutter speeds and lots of other stuff. This helps when the lighting is not perfect on the subject your trying to film. How many CCD's is the ZR 50 and how big is the pixel rating on each one. The higher end cameras have 3 CCD's and usally the lower ones have 1. It does effect the quality of the picture. How much I would not no other then comparing to a $500 sony which a friend has. At longer distances my cameras quality realy stands out. Up close the diffrence in minor (within bow range). I love to film. It has become more important then hunting. Every deer I have filmed makes me feel like I did harvest it. Good luck. Also try a search on that camera and see if there are any discussion boards about problems and or comperasions for that camera. If you live in the Ogden area and would like to see what my camera or my friends camera can do let me know.

Great reply Bucks! I too use the GL-1 and I'm really impressed with it. Bucks says something real important when he talks about optical zoom. Don't even think about using the digital zoom on a camera the result is a mess.
Rich

I have the ZR50 Canon and love it. It has a great optical zoom, just stay out of the digital zoom. The quality is great, I've yet to buy the doubler for it. It was worth the $600 I spent.

Thanks for your input, I have decided to go with the ZR 50 because it is in my price range and also has good optical zoom, I'm also getting it with a 1.9x teleconvertor, I'll let you know how that works.

Canon GL if you can afford it. Don't forget to allow some cash for a tripod. It almost isn't worth filming without a tripod.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom