Career advice?

Warbo

Any advice you have for someone looking to go into the trades? Any careers you’d have them look at?
I’ve been looking at diesel mechanics. CAT came to our school the other day and said they’ll pay you to come to their school. They’ll start you at 17.36 a hour and it’s a 12 month program. After a few months of training you could have the possibility of moving from the SLC shop to one of the smaller shops to finish up your training and then start your career from there.

Good on ya.

Is that what you want to do?
How much does it pay through out your career?

There’ll probably always be a demand for diesel mechanics for the rest of your lifetime.

Could be a good choice.

Take the Cat offer. You have a very good dealer and could have a solid career. If you have the desire and some ability you may get an opportunity to eventually get into sales, that is where the real money is.

Go to college. Bang a bunch of sleezys. Drink a lot of beer, smoke a lot of weed.

The trades are always there. Hard to go back to school later on in life.

You’ll make a living being a diesel mechanic no doubt but is that all you want out of life? Wages in that industry and so many of the trades are not staying up with cost of living/inflation.

I would go into the medical field or IT field if I could go back in time. Network engineers are in high demand. Yeah you’re sitting at the computer but 250k a year buys you way more time in the mountains than most trades will. And you’re not beating up your body in the process...

Good luck in your decision...

My FIL was a diesel mechanic and ultimately owned his own shop before selling it and retiring at 50. Even with the relatively short amount of time he was turning a wrench (and they're BIG wrenches on a CAT) it really put the hurt on his body.

Lots of bad backs and shoulders among diesel mechanics. Just something to think about.

SS offers good advice about the medical field, there are a lot of good positions available there; such as Ultrasound Tech that averages $37/hr in Utah.

Any of the construction trades are a great choice; carpentry, electrical, HVAC, masonry, etc. I think there will be more money in the HVAC/electrical but supply and demand.

I dont know any 18 year olds that can build a set of stairs, install a window or door properly, build a deck etc. All good things to know how to do as carpentry is a dying trade. I'm 34 and very few of our sub contractors have workers younger than me.

But at SS pointed out....it's hell on your body

Last edited:
Ultimately you need to do something that you like and hopefully you'll still enjoy in 10 and 20 years down the road. I worked for Mack as a mechanic in the engineering department. Most of our stuff was either new or extremely clean, inside in a controlled environment. I couldn't imagine having to go out in the winter time and work on a peice of equipment outside, or in the summer, or go work on a peice of equipment at the landfill. F that. And what you think is cool and fun now, will change with age. I almost got into the elevator trade about 20 years ago. A buddy is an elevator mechanic in the Washington d.c area. Union job, big money, tons of o.t. He has made made close to 250k a year with o.t, but he works ALOT. Always inside and there will always be elevators. Find the local Union and find out when the are testing for apprentices. Another good gig would be a powerhouse engineer. My brother works as a boiler mechanic in the powerhouse at a local prison. The wanted an apprentice to train with the engineer and had a hell of a time finding someone. If I was starting over that would be my choice. Lots of years of training but once you get your license, your set. Could probably make 150k a year pretty easy. And it's really easy work. Whatever you choose, just think about if you'll still enjoy it when your 40 years old or if it's 100 degrees out, or snowing and zero.

I'd Start A TUNE & DELETE Shop For Smaller Diesel Pick-Ups!

You'll Eventually Get Caught Like The Diesel Brothers Did!

But By Then You'll Have Enough Money It Won't Matter!

And When You Do Get Caught You Can Do Commercials Like The Diesel Brothers are Doing now!

I'd Be Your First Paying Client!

It’s definitely not the traditional “Trades” but if someone has any kind of knack for technical subjects…. Cybersecurity, hands down. The demand is out of this world, and there’s not a lot of people making less than 200K per year. Some much more than that.

I’m in the trades. Have been since I was 15. I tell kids that ask me what trade to get into “ go to lines man school.” If your young and single there’s no better profession. And by the time you dont want to be young and single any more you’ll have seniority enough to live the life you want. I had a kid at 16, if I hadn’t and had some advice I’d have liked it to have been that

I’m in the trades. Have been since I was 15. I tell kids that ask me what trade to get into “ go to lines man school.” If your young and single there’s no better profession. And by the time you dont want to be young and single any more you’ll have seniority enough to live the life you want. I had a kid at 16, if I hadn’t and had some advice I’d have liked it to have been that
I have nothing but respect for linemen. I work with them fairly often during storms etc and they earn their money for sure. But it beats up your body bad. As far as skilled trades go Linemen likely make the most but have to know the least. But the risk of death is up there. Maybe roofing beats it for injuries but it has to be up there.

Another thing I would like doing is being a heavy equipment operator but I’m not sure if I could make enough doing that to support a family. I hate computers so anything to do working with them is out and there’s no way I’d be able to cut a live person open. I’m not set anything yet just looking to see any recommendations. Thanks for all the advice and help so far.

Get a government job. Lots of cities, counties are hiring. Federal is better.

Assuming you're into hunting since you are here, NO ONE gets more time off than government workers.

Problem with trades is your very economy dependent. Recessions decimate trade guys first, especially building trades. But that will cascade into Cat as well.

Neither party has any appetite to cut gov. Those jobs are recession proof. They have pensions. Above average benefits. They clothe you, shoe you, etc.

HAFB employs a ton of guys around here. It's not uncommon for them to have entire hunts off. Many take multiple hunts off.

If you want to get rich, you trade your life for money. If you want a life, gov jobs are where it's at

Maybe do something for your country (Military) or something for your God (Mission) and then go from there with a good start on your Life Resume.

The best of life/luck in whatever you decide.

Robb
This is great advice. If I could go back in time I would of done 4 years in the military. Not cuz I believe in the country but all the benefits that come with it. The country will consider you a hero for the rest of your life and you’ll get military discounts out the ass forever.

Military 100%. Final answer.

Get a government job. Lots of cities, counties are hiring. Federal is better.

Assuming you're into hunting since you are here, NO ONE gets more time off than government workers.

Problem with trades is your very economy dependent. Recessions decimate trade guys first, especially building trades. But that will cascade into Cat as well.

Neither party has any appetite to cut gov. Those jobs are recession proof. They have pensions. Above average benefits. They clothe you, shoe you, etc.

HAFB employs a ton of guys around here. It's not uncommon for them to have entire hunts off. Many take multiple hunts off.

If you want to get rich, you trade your life for money. If you want a life, gov jobs are where it's at
Plus, you'll get 11 paid holidays off each year. That's 11 3-day weekends.

Most mobile equipment operators are in the mining industry. Coal mining is dying but something like lithium mining may be increasing. But a lot of these jobs are going to be replaced with Driverless equipment.

A Cat 777 traveling the same route out of a quarry load after load is an ideal application for a driverless truck. The same with agricultural equipment going across a 10,000 acre field.

The person that can work on this equipment should have a future.

Generate electricity.
What kind of **** show you boys operating if you’re working more than 40s? We do a lot of power plant work and the employees of the plants rarely work OT unless there’s a shut down etc. I suppose you were being facetious about your comment.

What kind of **** show you boys operating if you’re working more than 40s? We do a lot of power plant work and the employees of the plants rarely work OT unless there’s a shut down etc. I suppose you were being facetious about your comment.
In the operations/maintenance department, we work 7 on 7 off 12.5 hrs shifts. We work days and nights rotation, no swing shifts. We are a smaller facility that employs the minimum personnel to provide 24/7/365 operations. Outages and shift coverage leads to a substantial amount of OT annually.

Many larger facilities have a much larger staff that likely results in less hours per employee overall.

In the operations/maintenance department, we work 7 on 7 off 12.5 hrs shifts. We work days and nights rotation, no swing shifts. We are a smaller facility that employs the minimum personnel to provide 24/7/365 operations. Outages and shift coverage leads to a substantial amount of OT annually.

Many larger facilities have a much larger staff that likely results in less hours per employee overall.
Are you housed on site while on duty?

Every job is important and to each their own. Do something you get a feeling of accomplishment from doing and be the best at it. It will pay off in the end and you'll be able to move to Mountain View east in Anchorage, AK like SS.

Always tried to convince my youngest to get into the electrician trade. You’ll never be out of work.

Just be a drug dealer or a pimp. The supply and demand will always be there with great benefits nowdays!!

Just be a drug dealer or a pimp. The supply and demand will always be there with great benefits nowdays!!
There is much better opportunity to become wealthy in legitimate business. The people who make the rules made/make sure of that.

Go to school to be a lawyer. You can work anywhere and specialize in things you never even heard of. And as with cops there is no shortage of stupid people, so a stable customer base.

Last edited:
Stay away fro O&G unless you get your Petroleum Engineering degree. It’s hell on family life as well. 20 years in for me. I have never had a rotation and my family hates west Texas so I am gone 300+ days per year and always have been. The money is great if you are as lucky as I have been and never been out of work. Lots of folks don’t have that luck and don’t save their money. Short lifespan out here if you aren’t prepared.

Maybe do something for your country (Military) or something for your God (Mission) and then go from there with a good start on your Life Resume.

The best of life/luck in whatever you decide.

Robb

I am still in the military myself, cannot go wrong there. But there are programs/career fields now where that were not available 20 plus years ago. You can do trades in the military ( get it in your contract ) and build the same skills as you would at a tech school, but have the experience and military on your resume. You might like it and stay in the National Guard for awhile after active duty also while you go on to do a regular job. Spend some time looking at what is available now in the military it really can be two birds with one stone. You can come out with a security clearance also which helps in many careers out there now. Or you can get out of the military and then spend 5 years going to college on your college fund having fun and being stupid like I did and finally start really working at 26. Soooo many choices out there explore them all and ask around.

Get your EMT and start testing to be a fire fighter. There are jobs all through the country and there will continue to be.

I am still in the military myself, cannot go wrong there. But there are programs/career fields now where that were not available 20 plus years ago. You can do trades in the military ( get it in your contract ) and build the same skills as you would at a tech school, but have the experience and military on your resume. You might like it and stay in the National Guard for awhile after active duty also while you go on to do a regular job. Spend some time looking at what is available now in the military it really can be two birds with one stone. You can come out with a security clearance also which helps in many careers out there now. Or you can get out of the military and then spend 5 years going to college on your college fund having fun and being stupid like I did and finally start really working at 26. Soooo many choices out there explore them all and ask around.
I did both. Worked on radar and electronic countermeasures until 1978. My rate was full, and promotional opportunities went down, so I got out and worked as an instrumentation tech on a contract with the Federal Railroad Administration. Then went to school for darn near 9 years and went back in. Retired in 2006.

I do Cybersecurity for a living. We can't hire people quick enough. The pay will start somewhere between 60 to 80k, and then depending on certification and skills it will only go up. And go up quickly. A lot of positions will be remote as well so you can live pretty much everywhere. Plus, you will always have a job.

As a fun job, my favorite...by far...was running heavy equipment during the summer breaks from college. Lots of learning, a bunch of autonomy (boss said 'don't F this up') and I was outdoors.

But.

As I would later learn from a lab where I worked, the vibration stress from running a dozer, dragline, backhoe, scraper, etc. translated into a lot of vibration related injuries along the vertebral column, leading to premature disc failure. Those bushings don't last forever.

If I had to do it all over again, Im not sure I would change a lot, although I would not fit in well, politically, in todays Navy. Medical benefits are great; I pay about 65$ a month for tricare (I aged out of tricare prime a few years ago) for my entire family, including two handicapped kids. Retirement pay is good.

I like the idea of trade schools; electrician, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry, welding, diesel mech. There is every reason to take pride in one of those careers. Or others.

Warbo, that offer from CAT sounds like a pretty good deal.

Go to college. Bang a bunch of sleezys. Drink a lot of beer, smoke a lot of weed.

Words...
Two out of three is not bad. Despite being a kid in the 60s and 70s, weed did not interest me. Just like tatoos; a bazillion years in the Navy and not a single tat.

Women.....
Beer....

I'm on it, but gotta ask my wife first.

Electrical or plumbing are my opinion. Both have large scopes from resi work to industrial. You can go as far as owning a company. Or work for one of the many companies.

This makes 40 years for me as an electrician and I don't believe it matters which trade you choose. Your pay will always be tied to your effort and knowledge. Effort when you're young, and knowledge as you get older. High wages are a natural byproduct of those (increasingly rare) traits because they are not as common as you might think.
In order to be high paid you must be able to make your employer more money then you cost them... Simple as that.
And, the best craftsmen are never out of work. Their employers find work for them or make work for them.

Look for something with retirement benefits after 20 years.
Might make a little less while working but you'll have the freedom and the ability to continue work and collect retirement if you choose.
50+ years grinding away gets old after a while.
Been an electrician for 23 years. Love seeing what ive built and been a part of, in all that time.
A trade beats turning off a computer and walking away without having anything to show for all your work.

The key to independence is owning the business rather than working for others. No matter the wage, you will always be limited by the number of hours in a day, days in a week, etc. if you work wages for someone else. If you start your own shop, you are limited only by the number of people you can recruit to work for you and the demand for services within the community(ies) you choose. Especially if you are the conscientious sort willing to take the time and make the effort to earn a reputation, then perhaps your first consideration should be how you might soon acquire a business of your own (and that certainly won't be servicing diesels). I would rather own a business washing windows, laying carpet, etc. than become the top mechanic in a prestigious operation owned by someone else. If I were starting fresh, I might consider an outfit that takes advantage of the new-and-improved fire behavior experienced across the western states--fire breaks, revegetation, etc. In the end, it depends upon your risk tolerance and willingness to put in the extra time at the outset. That said, there is nothing wrong with mechanicin' for someone else if you prefer the 9 to 5.

Last edited:
I'd stay in your parents basement as long as possible, only leave to get cheese puffs, the latest Call of Duty, and a 36 pack of Dr. Pepper. Payoff your Chevy Tracker selling nightcrawlers and call it good. Hunt/Fish all day, play video games all night. What more could a guy ask for?

Hey Wiff?

Maybe You Could Add "F'N OFF ON MM MORE THAN WE SHOULD"

I'd stay in your parents basement as long as possible, only leave to get cheese puffs, the latest Call of Duty, and a 36 pack of Dr. Pepper. Payoff your Chevy Tracker selling nightcrawlers and call it good. Hunt/Fish all day, play video games all night. What more could a guy ask for?

Another thing I would like doing is being a heavy equipment operator but I’m not sure if I could make enough doing that to support a family. I hate computers so anything to do working with them is out and there’s no way I’d be able to cut a live person open. I’m not set anything yet just looking to see any recommendations. Thanks for all the advice and help so far.
Versatile HEO's at our mine can and do make 6 figures. We are hiring both experienced and inexperienced. Plus you get to live in Wyoming. Diesel mechanics will do even better. We are hiring those as well.

My wife is a college & career counselor. She tells me there is a hug need for "trades" folks. I specifically recommend Welding! Learn to weld everything under the sun and there will be job opportunities until the end of time. As an added bonus, a welder can do so many things outside of work as a hobby and fabricator.

Become a Youtuber ! I thought thats what all you younger kids are doing these days .
No sir not me. I wouldn’t say I’m your typical kid out of my generation. I’m taking a break from greasing one of the loaders as I type this and then I’ve got to go get in the semi and haul hay for the rest of the day. Not many kids like me left, sad to say. I don’t have any of them social media apps like Snapchat or Instagram or tiktok either. Thanks for the advice from everyone. There’s definitely some things I haven’t thought of before that I’ll look into.

I'm a General Contractor. (Notice the capitalized letters)I genuinely enjoy the work. I'm 39, broke my back falling off a roof 20 years ago. 3 surgeries down and probably more in my future. I'm helping my boy build and market some very pretty chicken coops. We deal with upper middle class customers. I have him ask every customer to tell him about their way of making a living. Some are employees. Most are business owners of some sort. In a couple hundred interviews there has not been one day laborer from the construction industry. But I'm not going to try to tell my boys what to do. Just going to wait and see what they decide on and then see to it that they get all the assistance I can provide.

I’ve taught tech trade course for 21 years and seen a lot of students do very well. Currently, with this economy I’d look at the following:

1- Automation and Robotics (like Homer said). If you can learn PLC programming, you’ll do well. My son did this and is doing very well.
2- Electrician (try to hire one)
3- Plumber (try to hire one)
4- HVAV

Welding and Mechanics are good. However, when you’re 50, your body might disagree.

Drafting and Maching are okay. However, the pay is usually not as good.

Become a Journeyman and go on your own. You’ll like make more than most college degrees. I’ve been on both sides and working trades has made me more money than my college degree. And, by saying this, I am not against a college degree but would caution to choose wisely.

My FIL was a diesel mechanic and ultimately owned his own shop before selling it and retiring at 50. Even with the relatively short amount of time he was turning a wrench (and they're BIG wrenches on a CAT) it really put the hurt on his body.

Lots of bad backs and shoulders among diesel mechanics. Just something to think about.

SS offers good advice about the medical field, there are a lot of good positions available there; such as Ultrasound Tech that averages $37/hr in Utah.
But 37/ hr in Utah won't even buy a house.

The Air Force treated me and my very well. Both of us went in after high school and fully retired debt free paying off a house with cash by the time we were both 39 yrs old. I hunt and fish everyday with no regrets about working for another man again have everything I want sxs, atv, 32ft rv, new truck. Make enough right now to put away 1500 a month in savings. Plus medical and dental is creap compared to what civilians pay. The military is an all volunteer force now days so it is what you make of it. Son went into the Navy after high school and had 55k saved being stationed in Japan for 4 yrs (guess he never partied there).

Don’t overlook the military. Nephew did navy for 6 years in the nuclear science program. Got out, went private sector with good bennies, huge down payment for a home, VA loan and makes about 175k/year as a tech geek.
You don’t sound like the tech type but the military will school you in the trades too.
I’m sure it’s not for everybody but if you could stand the military for a few years, you could set yourself up nicely with dome free schooling.

Any advice you have for someone looking to go into the trades? Any careers you’d have them look at?
I’ve been looking at diesel mechanics. CAT came to our school the other day and said they’ll pay you to come to their school. They’ll start you at 17.36 a hour and it’s a 12 month program. After a few months of training you could have the possibility of moving from the SLC shop to one of the smaller shops to finish up your training and then start your career from there.
I believe that you can do well at anything you do if you work hard enough.
Diesel Mechanic is a great career and there is a good demand for a GOOD mechanic.

Elevator Mechanic's make bank no matter what state or city you are in. In SF they make close to $3k a week and no one rushes them to do anything. Great benefits early retirement vacation pay.

Working in the trades pays off look at how many on this site have their own business in the trades. I'm sure none of them started on top they all had to go through the ranks as I did and many others.

I think working hard at anything will pay off Good Luck with your choice

What ever you do....go get a vasectomy so you don't screw yourself by having kids and getting stuck doing whatever..... It ain't even a big deal anymore to get the plumbing re-connected....it just costs about 8 grand.... when you have 8 racks you will be ready to have kids.

What ever you do....go get a vasectomy so you don't screw yourself by having kids and getting stuck doing whatever..... It ain't even a big deal anymore to get the plumbing re-connected....it just costs about 8 grand.... when you have 8 racks you will be ready to have kids.
or...you know, exercise some self control, make good decisions, do things in their proper time and order (e.g., having children), invest in educating yourself (a trade or education with a degree that is in demand and makes you marketable), work hard and things usually always work out. That's not to say you won't have hard times-everybody has challenges, but working to instill some discipline and good decision making with a long-term perspective will almost always tip the scales in your favor.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom