Caribou

patea

I was looking on game and fish and it looks like u can't buy license till July 1 for caribou. Would like to take my son on his first caribou hunt. Can it be done diy off any Backcountry roads if we hike or am I gonna have to charter a fly in hunt and hire a guide. These are blind questions. I've never been to Alaska before have hunted alot in western u.s. on my own. Anybody have any suggestions

There are no backcountry roads in Alaska... seriously. You can hunt off the highway, or from an ATV in a few places if you're a NR. The easier to access areas are archery only or draw. I would suggest you spend some time on the F&G website looking at opportunities for NR and go from there. Alaska isn't like any western state, though can be similar depending on your level of logistics ability. Tags for the new year go on sale July 1, and are OTC at any time.

You really only have 3 options. Fly out of Kotz to hunt the WAC, fly out of one of the eastern interior towns (Fairbanks, off the Haul Road, etc) and hunt the Porcupine or Central herd, fly out of Tok/FAI and hunt the 40 Mile... Or walk in off the haul road which is cheapest, but also has very low success. The priors are all good hunts but will cost you $3-5pp plus travel to/from AK.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom