Carpe diem

B_F_E

Long Time Member
Attn. all you young whippersnappers, don't take your health for granted, hunt hard while you can, cause you never know when it will be gone.

Had a guy I work with say it's all over but the cryin at 50, he says there is no turnin back after that, hope that is not true cause I will be there in 3 yrs. Started my training already this yr for the fall hunts up to 3 mi fast walking in about another 2 wks will load up the pack and then after that the rifle, ,I am lucky can walk out my back gate and into the hills, guess when my time comes I'll tie a knot in my rope and hang on!...Greg

I hunt with a guy that is 79 this year and although he has slowed down the last 5 years, he is still the first up in the morning and goes till dark. He is one tough old bastard. He does all the driving, packs the food, makes the coffee..........

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Good post, I concur, I'm still young and very much grateful I can hunt as hard as I'd like with little to no difficulty.

Don't you guys read MSN.com? Katie Couric said that 50 is the new 30. So at 38, I must be actually about 25 or so huh..??...lol I don't want to take my health for granted, so I jog and do the situp/pushup thing etc. Just ran a 10K last weekend...I didn't finish first...but I wasn't last either. With all the medical benefits of technology, we can surely keep ourselves in a little better health if we put forth some effort. We owe it to ourselves, our kids, the game we pursue...etc. Plus, what's life without a little challenge?

We inhabit our bodies, they are our "homes" in a certain regard. It makes really good sense to take good care of your body . . . cause you have to live with it until you die!!! No trade-ins, no trading up.

I knew a guy who ran marathons at the age of 60. I'm not into that, but I think if you take care of yourself you can continue to be physically active until late in life. I suspect that as you get older you will have less endurance (being able to push all day long, sleep, wake up the next day and push all day long, for a week on end). I also suspect you will recover from injuries more slowly and perhaps incompletely. Even so, I don't read this to mean you can't backpack back into the mountains on an elk hunt at the age of 65 years, not if you have kept your weight down, your cardiovascular function high, and your muscle mass in place by working out. But this is just my opinion and it isn't based on personal experience. I just turned 49 last Friday, so this topic has interest for me. I'm not ready to hang it up yet and start hunting on an Internet hunt site from my easy chair!!!

But maybe the point is to appreciate our gift of good health. Tomorrow some fool may slam into us in a car and shatter our leg and those backpack elk trips into the wilderness may be over for us, due to a permanent hitch that develops in that leg full of stablizing pins.

STUDPILE YOU SAID IT ALL. I JOINED THE GYM AT 50 JUST SO I COULD BACKPACK/HUNT. BEST DECISION I EVER MADE, GOT A SHEEP HUNT IN 7 WEEKS--- I FEEL LIKE I AM 30 YRS. OLD. KEEP YOUR WEIGHT/CHLORESTEROL /BLOOD PRESS. DOWN AND YOU MIGHT BE HUNTIN UNTIL YOUR 80. ANOTHER GOOD THING TO DO IS TAKE A MAG. PLUS VITIMIN FOR ALL OF YOUR JOINTS/BONES, YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THE SKELETAL SYSTEM. I FOUND OUT WHILE AT THE GYM THAT THERE ARE A GOOD NUMBER OF HUNTERS WORKING OUT JUST SO THEY CAN HUNT. ITS ALL GOOD, TAKE CARE ,YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom