Carrying gun on ATV

Blackie6

What is your setup for carrying your rifle/muzzleloader on your 4wheeler? I’ve used just the two gun rack holders on the front of the ATV. Not a fan of how dusty it can make the gun. Curious what you guys do in those dusty bumpy roads.

I have both on the atv kolpin boot fits the shogun and scoped bolt action but doesn't fit the r15 if coyote hunting so that goes on front rack. Think both systems work well if I don't ride behind anyone the gun in the front rack doesn't get to dusty at all but the easy access is hard to beat.

This set up works great for me. Cushioned Kolpin bag on the front rack with the gun case strapped on with bungee cords.
No problem with dust. Been on a lot of rough rocky roads and in the brush with no problems.

70E0713A-B722-4DD7-9F64-B4215DBFD346.jpeg

53DEA51F-E086-4F7D-BCFE-4F9F167BD66E.jpeg

There's Not Alot Of Choice!

KOLPIN Is CHEAP PLASTIC JUNK!

Destroyed More Of Them Than We Care To Remember!

Dumped a Few Guns in the Rocks Due To CHEAP PLASTIC/WON'T LAST GARBAGE!

But Like I Said,There's Not Much Choice!

Start With a KOLPIN GUN BOOT & Then Start Building You a Bullet Proof Bracket That'll Keep it on Your Machine!

We've Got Guns Worth Thousands Trying To Carry Them on ATV'S & UTV'S in a 100.00 Piece Of Plastic!

There's Not Alot Of Choice!

KOLPIN Is CHEAP PLASTIC JUNK!

Destroyed More Of Them Than We Care To Remember!

Dumped a Few Guns in the Rocks Due To CHEAP PLASTIC/WON'T LAST GARBAGE!

But Like I Said,There's Not Much Choice!

Start With a KOLPIN GUN BOOT & Then Start Building You a Bullet Proof Bracket That'll Keep it on Your Machine!

We've Got Guns Worth Thousands Trying To Carry Them on ATV'S & UTV'S in a 100.00 Piece Of Plastic!
What fell apart on you kolpin? I’m not endorsing them but I have one and it’s been on the quad for several years now. If there’s an area I should be checking but not seeing if like to know about it

Hey JP!

You Might Be Running Smoother Trails Than Us!

That Bracket Only Mount You Posted/Have Is Not Near Enough Support Where We Travel!

We Do Use The KOLPIN Gun Case Because There's Really No Other Choice!

We Buy The Metal Tubular Gun Case Carriers & Modify Them For More Strength!

On a Polaris,The Lock & Ride Gets Removed & Bolted on To Rack!

Here's a Pic of a Stock bracket on a Polaris!

Like I Said,We Modify Them So We Don't Have To Worry About Dumping Our Guns!

polaris gun mount.jpg

This works pretty well and the bracket acts a bit like a shock. I add some extra padding in there just to make sure it doesn’t bounce around

Hey JP!

You Might Be Running Smoother Trails Than Us!

That Bracket Only Mount You Posted/Have Is Not Near Enough Support Where We Travel!

We Do Use The KOLPIN Gun Case Because There's Really No Other Choice!

We Buy The Metal Tubular Gun Case Carriers & Modify Them For More Strength!

On a Polaris,The Lock & Ride Gets Removed & Bolted on To Rack!

Here's a Pic of a Stock bracket on a Polaris!

Like I Said,We Modify Them So We Don't Have To Worry About Dumping Our Guns!

View attachment 80814
That looks pretty slick. And your probably right about the trails. I don’t big game hunt off an atv. Pretty much all hiking. If I do bring the quad it’s usually areas where I’m running roads from camp to hiking trails. Most if my atv hunting is for coyotes in the winter so again, desert roads. I could see if your really 4xing with this mount it could pop off

Padded plastic case with bungee cords like some of the pics in this post. Soft cases don't provide enough cushion, and the gun racks on the front put the gun in harms way. I had one of those side mount cases, but scoped rifles and ML's don't fit inside.

Most of my ATV riding with a gun is on trails that can get overgrown through the year. Don't want all that brush, limbs, briars, etc. banging on the gun, or the dust when I hit the gravel roads.

We have used the older model Kolpin for many years and they have worked for us. The problem is when we upgraded to newer ATVs the old racks for the scabbards did not fit the new machines.. We found some adapted racks for our new ATV's online and bought them but they are not the best and Bess's picture looks like he's solved the problem.
Like others have said, we don't do that much off roading during hunting trips, but the Kolpin has met our need.
Now Bess, how much does it cost for me to get one of those Basin Tune-up racks???

LOL LittleBig!

Not Really Solved The Problem!

But We Have Gun Racks/Carriers We Don't Need To Worry About Losing Our Guns!

And Joe2Kool!

We Do Pack Scoped Guns In These!

I Don't Know How Much Longer it Will Be Hauling a Scoped SmokePole Though!:D

We have used the older model Kolpin for many years and they have worked for us. The problem is when we upgraded to newer ATVs the old racks for the scabbards did not fit the new machines.. We found some adapted racks for our new ATV's online and bought them but they are not the best and Bess's picture looks like he's solved the problem.
Like others have said, we don't do that much off roading during hunting trips, but the Kolpin has met our need.
Now Bess, how much does it cost for me to get one of those Basin Tune-up racks???

And LittleBig is Right!

Finding a Bracket That Will Fit New ATV's is A JOKE And That's Why We End Up Building/Modifying Ours To Custom Fit the Machine!

With As Many Hunters as there Is That Use Wheeler's,Why in the Hell Won't Somebody Manufacture & Sell Them I Don't Know?

Maybe China Doesn't Know About The Need Yet?

I've Worked for a Gal a few Times over The Years That Runs/Part Owner in a Machine Shop!

She Asks Me What in The Recreational Field would They Be Able Make & Sell?

I've Told Her Several Times:

Quality Gun Carriers for ATV's & UTV's!

People Will Pay a Fair Price For a Quality Gun Carrier!

I Damn Sure Would!

Guess She's Not Gonna Listen To Me!

Most Women Don't!:D

"With As Many Hunters as there Is That Use Wheeler's,Why in the Hell Won't Somebody Manufacture & Sell Them I Don't Know?"

Not many 4 wheelers these days. They're all getting side by sides.

This set up works great for me. Cushioned Kolpin bag on the front rack with the gun case strapped on with bungee cords.
No problem with dust. Been on a lot of rough rocky roads and in the brush with no problems.

View attachment 80799

View attachment 80800
This is exactly how I carry my rifle too. I add some thick pipe insulation on the bars of the rack to add a bit more cushion too.

Last edited:
Like others I strap a hard case to front rack! But now I’m wondering how to carry my muzzle loader on my street legal dirt bike for this season!

So how do those guns on the front rack work going through a 50" gate? PITA

No problem
The bungee hooks are easy to access. It’s simple to get the gun case on and off.
Be sure to use good quality bungee cords that are nice and tight.

Like others I strap a hard case to front rack! But now I’m wondering how to carry my muzzle loader on my street legal dirt bike for this season!
Dirt bikes are a bit more of a challenge. I had a couple of Yamaha big wheels before I got my quad. Started out using those Kolpin gun cases but had nothing but trouble with them. I wound up just putting the gun over my shoulders with the sling when riding the two wheelers. The gun kind of balanced on my pack but it was a bit tricky in the rough stuff and low hanging branches.
I raced motocross in my younger days but as I got older I am better off with four wheels under me lol.

understand! CO law requirements call for unloaded and cased these days and the unit I drew doesn't allow much quad access and I think I could cruise roads quickly on my Husky350 compared to my tundra. thinking I use a soft case and attach to pack and try it out? also plan on shuttling vehicle/bike for a cross country hunt

Every year I read about someone losing their gun when it was on a wheeler back side.
I like the one that has the stock higher up in the back and gun barrel down by the peg.

The 50" gates where I go seem to be true 50" gates LOL. No room to get sidewise.

Just a PITA to take off and put on every time.

The 50" gates where I go seem to be true 50" gates LOL. No room to get sidewise.

Just a PITA to take off and put on every time.
You must spend a lot of time on your quad. How many gates do you go through in a day?
Must be a real PIA to get up off that seat once in a while lol

I rarely hunt off my quad and mainly use it when I don’t want to beat my truck up to get to trail heads. Get yourselves an elastic cover like this one I use from solo hunter. Keeps dust and rain/snow out. Plus I always use a scope neoprene cover under this too for extra protection. And always tape your barrel.

FBB646F2-9416-41DB-971E-30A5DE5A0D53.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom