Carrying Rangefinder while Archery Hunting

Bwht4x4

Very Active Member
I just bought a new Leupold TBD 1000 rangefinder and can't believe how small they've become. I was still using my mid-1990s era two handed bushnell unit.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry the rangefinder so that it's very accessible for both pulling up to use and putting down to shoot. What's the consensus on the best way to carry these new smaller units..retractable draw chord, pouch/pocket on belt, attached to bino strap?

Thanks

6897image.jpg

-Sig
Find 'em. Learn 'em. Shoot 'em. Eat 'em.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-14 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]I do a Badlands bino case / bino-buddy combo. I wear both at the same time. The range finder (on the bino buddy) ends up sitting right on top of the badlands bino case. I can range and just let it drop. It is always right there and I don't have to worry about where it ends up if I have to move really fast.

I always laugh at my brother-in-law. He as the same range finder, but insists on using the belt mounted carrying case for his range finder. It is always the same with him. He never uses his range finder because he has to pay more attention to the range finder and carrying case instead of the animal.

I use a cb tether on mine has enough strength to pull it back to your body also has a good strong clip that I clip back to my badlands Bino case and it has a quick release if you want to to take it off and put it away it keeps mine at the ready and I can just drop it if needs be to and the spring will just bring it back to the ready position I could post pics if you like

What ever you do....DO NOT use the Velcro style wraps around the rangefinder. S4 had a retractable style and a buddy of mine was using his in the rain, things got wet and the wraps didn't hold the rangefinder. The material got wet and relaxed. GONE!

I loop mine through a belt loop and stick it in my pocket. Easy access and if it falls out for any reason it's looped thru the belt so you can't lose it.

Cabela's has a rangefinder case that fits our Leuopld full draw rangefinders that has a rain cover. We hand sewn made a flexible elastic strap that we use across our bodies over the shoulder same side as the draw arm. Has worked for us for years. Accessible, yet out of the way at waste weight we just grab it range game put it back or drop it as we have the rangefinder connected with an additional strong attached cord. So we never lose or drop it.....I don't like anything that is pushed up in front at chest height that may get in the way while trying to draw an arrow.

))))------>

Ive always just used the supplyed lanyard that comes with the rangfinder, and then I just stuff the rang finder in my shirt pocket/vest pocket, or bino harness to keep it from digging into my neck. when in the moment its right there accessable and I can just drop it or let it hang during the shot.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I just bought one of those draw string spring loaded plastic things that you find on the draw strings of shorts sometimes (not sure what they are called). Anyway I just wear mine around my neck and snug it up, so it is not in the way of my binoculars

I don't like it on my chest all day and I don't like it exposed all the time either. Nor do I want any interference with my binos or draw when archery hunting. I keep it in it's soft case that it came with, on my belt, not clipped to my belt, but through the belt loop on the case. It's not going anywhere! I then tied the finder to the case with small diameter cord, with enough length to get to my eye at any position, but short enough that when let down it doesn't touch the ground when standing. It's silent that way and when you range for a quick shot, you can drop it with out it hitting the ground. The cord connecting the finder and case is put into the case first then the finder goes in, all self contained, with no trouble deploying quickly.

Rangefinders are too expensive to rely on a clip on, retractables are noisy at close range. On your hip you ALWAYS have it and it's out of the way. This has worked for me for years and I haven't found anything better worth changing for.

I have a badlands bino case and i put my range finder case on the "lower" chest strap. So it rides right next to my bino case. When I bow hunt I have it on my left side and rifle on my right. I shoot a bow left handed.

>I have a badlands bino case
>and i put my range
>finder case on the "lower"
>chest strap. So it rides
>right next to my bino
>case. When I bow hunt
>I have it on my
>left side and rifle on
>my right. I shoot a
>bow left handed.

I did away with using my Badlands bino case when archery hunting. Those things are way too noisy for game under 30 yards. Still works for rifle hunts.

Here's my setup. FHF range finder case strapped to the chest strap. I use it with both the KUIU and the FHF harness. The range finder neck strap is looped thru itself and attached to the case.

5046image.jpg

Traditional >>>------->

Personally, I just use the pouch that came with the Leopold. Some of the auto re-tractors look like they would work well. I just hate stuff wagging/swinging around when I move!

I put the Lupy case on the pack belt and hitch the lanyard on the lowest part of my pack harness. With repeated use, muscle memory has developed to the point that I no longer look to get it out or put it away. Sometimes it's like it just appears in my hand.

Of course as stated already; get under 40yds and don't worry about using it!

I've been trying a lot of different things, but the thing I seem to keep going back to is simply putting it in a jacket or cargo pocket. It just seems to keep getting in the way with the other ways I've tried. I wish I could find something more ideal though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom