Carrying rifles with packs

• Thread starter Futtbuck (Guest)
  • Start date
F

Futtbuck (Guest)

I have a question to those that tote a daypack while hunting. I want to know what kind of sling or set-up you use when carrying your pack and shouldering that rifle.
My set-up is a pain, since I have a traditional leather sling on my rifle and it slides off my shoulder from the pack straps being there. Do any of you use a different sling or have any other solutions? I'd like to keep my current sling on the gun, but with my pack, the two don't work very well together.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Futt

First,
Butler creek makes a great sling that is neoprene. It acts like a shock cord and gives a little with every step. I have one and can carry my rifle allday on my left shoulder without any fatigue or slippage.

Second,
Try a fanny pack... They are much bigger now and don't bother you when carrying your rifle. I have used one for many years and love it. The fanny pack on this site that keeps popping up looks like a good one. Make sure you buy one that has the contoured shoulder straps...Keith 46.

I'll second the motion on the Butler Creek sling. I hunted one day with my regular leather sling then went right out and got the neoprene one, never regretted it. I use a pack system from www.summitequipment.com. This system is great, you don't even realize the weight is there, and it eliminates the problem of your sling sliding off your shoulder. I can carry my lunch, 2qts of water, snacks, jacket, gloves, shells, knives and a few other small items with these. My .02

Futtbuck,
Check out www.gunslingercorral.com and look for the compact rifle holster with belt. I use a neoprene butler sling with the rubber grip - it works great. But when you have a pack on, even those slings can slip off. This gun slinger is cool - it comes with a belt that allows your gun to hang in a clip and the sling to attach to the sternup strap on the pack - this way the gun does not fall off your shoulder, but still allows for quick rotating for a shot. Check it out - I think you will find what you are looking for. Good Luck!

Thanks guys! Good ideas all. I'm going to check out the neoprene slings. I have heard from others that these are excellent. Only thing is, I like the looks of the fancy leather sling with my walnut stocked gun. Oh well, function and comfort comes first, they probably make one that'll look alright with my gun.

I do like the gunslinger device too.

Thanks again,
Futt

Futtbuck, (great name by the way)

Forget leather, it looks good and when used to shoot its great but its crap to use to carry.. As for the rest of the ones mentioned.. I have used all of them. Here is what results I got. Keep in mind I carry a good sized fanny pack with shoulder straps..

Neoprene Butler creek- Nice but they will still role on your shoulder..

Gunslinger corral- bought one and used it last year.. ok but a little too combersome

This is the one I reccomend:

Sportsmans Sling (I think thats the name) Its an all soft rubber sling and it doesn't slip, but best of all you can split it and use it in a backpack position. this way you've got the weight distributed over both shoulders, you can also use it to carry the rifle in front of your body too. You've probably seen the commercial for it on the Outdoor Channel with the goofy owner in it...The number for them is (800) 383-4454. Its a pricey sling and they rape you on the shipping but it is worth it.. Good luck

sew a buton onto the edge of yourr fack strap, your rifle will stop against it and wil not slip off.

Later Yall!!!!
deer.jpg

I think that sling that boman is talking about is the one from slogan outdoors. They are advertised on the outdoor channel. I bought one for my new rifle and I love it. I put it on my shoulder and it isn't going anywhere. In fact when I put my arm through it like I am going to shoot I pull the hair on my arm it grips so good. Guess you have to make sure to wear a long sleeve shirt when hunting.

Boman, AZbowhntr: Is there another site that shows this Slogan sling? I can't find a picture of it except the nondescript pic of it with the dude in there. I unfortunately don't have the Outdoor channel, but that will have to change that pretty soon.

I bought a Safari Sling (I think that's what it's called) and used it last year for the first time. I love it. You put the strap around your left side of your neck, and your gun hangs on the front right side of your body. It's like carrying a gym bag witht he strap running diagonally across your chest. You're always ready to shoot, because you don't have to take the rifle off your shoulder first, but you don't have to hold the weight of your rifle all day with your arms. And with a pack it's a non-issue. It's a long enough strap that you can easily take your gun off your shoulder if you want to without removing your pack. Check em out on Cabela's. Get the one with the wider strap if this is the way you decide to go. Good luck.

WH

I also use the Safari sling- it is so good almost every one who has hunted with me and has seen how well it works now uses one. Cant beat it for making a quick shot, glassing, making your rifle seem lighter, using with a back pack. Do your self a favor - if you do a lot of walking when you hunt this sling is for you.

I third the motion for the Safari Sling. Takes all the weight and redistributes it. You can climb, glass, shoot,anything you need to do.
Hiking is an absolute breeze with no slippage, etc.
The absolute finest sling I have ever used.

Get a pack from Wolf Pack Systems with their Rifle Holder accessory. It makes carrying the rifle on any of their packs very easy and very accessible.
It is a sweet set up that carries rifles and bows.

Check them out at www.wolfpacksystems.com

The Kifaru GunBearer/Universal GunBearer. Check it out! You'll love it...
http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM

Kifaru makes the best hunting pack on the market. The company was founded and is owned by an avid hunter (hunts/is in the backcountry 150+ days/yr.) and a former designer of packs for Gregory. I've met him... a bit odd, but makes great stuff! The GunBearer is just one of the accessories produced by Kifaru made for the hunter and backpacks.

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value."
logo_org_pub.jpg

I have a sling but generally just carry it in my hand, or pointed to the side in the crook of my arm.

For those that have rifles with blued barrels, be awear if the sun is out and you are carrying them on your shoulder with the barrel straight up you will have a lot of sun reflection off the barrel. I have seen barrels flash many times over the years. Either cover the barrel with tape (drab or camo), or have a stainless steel or matte finished barrel.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

kilbuc,

I was looking at your profile and noticed you are a Cody boy! I grew up in Cody... was there for 14 years. I miss NW WY but have learned to love CO. Do you by chance know Billy Brewer, Brian Skoric, Craig Geving, Brett/Mary Reed, Barry Black (could go on). Cody is a small place so just thought I would throw out a few names.

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value."
logo_org_pub.jpg

Futtbuck,

Sorry they don't have a website that I know of.. But the guy who mentioned it is correct its from Slogain outdoors. If I can describe it it's soft rubber thats about 1- 1 1/2" wide. Its as long as reg slings of course.. hope this helps.

I had the same problem. I bought a black padded sling from walmart. It has has soft nubs that grip on your shoulder so it won't slide as much. A less expensive method is to winde a large rubber band around your leather sling where it comes in contact with your shoulder.
Let me know how it works.
[email protected]

I'll second the Kifaru recommendation. It seems like a great idea. I have the daystalker lumbar pack with shoulder straps and gunbearer. I've only worn it around the house but will give it a good trial next week in NE Wyoming chasing mulies.

Well, here's what I ended up doing: I tried a Butler Creek neoprene sling and it worked just fine for me. I think this will do the trick as the rifle felt more comfortable and it didn't slip off the shoulder with my daypack on.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Oh, I also picked up one of those Gunslinger gun holders too. The gadget works excellent on my big backpack for packing into the backcountry.

I'll pass along my preference since no one has mentioned the sling I use. The only sling I've had stay on my backpack shoulder strap is the Claw sling, made by Quake. I've tried several others - mostly the neoprene type, & found the Claw sling to be the only one that keeps doing the trick after a few trips. The neoprene slings worked for me until the little rubber knobs wore off - about 10 trips & then they slid just like leather.

The Claw has an all rubber shoulder pad, molded over the strap. It also has the best swivels. They are composite so they don't squeak like metal & they are stronger than metal. I saw a demo at the SHOT show a few years ago where they pulled both types of swivel until they broke & the composite held out much longer.

It's not as 'cushiony' as neoprene, but the fact that it stays on my shoulder more than makes up for the small loss of comfort.

I'm not affiliated with Quake.

Their web page is:

http://www.quakeinc.com/add.cfm?itemID=9&CFID=1807477&CFTOKEN=85437855

you can find the sling at almost any outdoor store/web page.

Thanks,

Guy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom