Cartridges that made others Obsolete

Ripnbst

What are some cartridges out now that you think make other cartridges obsolete?

For me, 300 PRC makes 300 Win Mag obsolete. Anything with a rimmed case that doesn't need it needs to die for the inherent difficulties of making a rimmed cartridge as accurate as its non-rimmed counterpart, see 300 PRC v 300 WM. 28 Nosler and 7 Rem Mag are probably two more. 260 REM needs to obsolete the 6.5CM, or the other way 'round. The 260 REM is slightly better but I don't even care, the world just needs to pick one and kill the other. They are so close in performance its stupid, there need'nt be 2 of them as one pulls market away from the other for no real world reason and it impedes standardization of components. If the world recognized the 260 REM (read, if Remington's marketing department was half of what Hornady's is) for what it is then the 6.5 CM wouldn't even exist.

What other cartridge pairings come to mind for the rest of you?

IMO, it’s really not the cartridge that has become obsolete, it’s the trend toward faster twist rates, to stabilize newer, longer bullets that has been the Renaissance. Seems the industry has to produce “newer/better” constantly to keep us all buying new rifles.

The US military is about the only entity that can render a cartridge obsolete. But only after they produce enough components that it will never be obsolete.

Your designer cartridges will be obsolete before the ones you mentioned.

The 308 win was supposed to make the '06 obsolete. If I can still load it and shoot, no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

I don't get why people get upset about having more choices? Choices are good!

I Don't Give a FF If Your Bullet is Flying Faster Than Mine!

95% Of Your PISSCUTTER Cartridges Won't Break 5,000 lbs at the Muzzle!

It would sure be boring if we lost those cartridges you mentioned as obsolete. I love the .300 win and the 7 rem mag enough were I’d take them over the new hot rods out of stubbornness and nostalgia, and with the right twist barrel are plenty capable of outshooting most shooters and kill anything at most distances.

I do know that the .22 LR made my sling shot obsolete.
slappingfish.gif

Another one of your fiction articles? :ROFLMAO:
Nopers. Completely true. In fact, it was the deer I mentioned in another reply that I had wounded and finally shot from the hip as it was charging me. I'm getting ready to shut down to cook dinner. More on it manana.

Thanks to the OP for a really good laugh. mtmuley
yeah….I miss the days of ole when we used to hash out all the intricacies of the 300 RUM. All this flat brimmed PRC Creedmore crap I can’t believe we still kill animals with our mid evil weapons.

I do know that the .22 LR made my sling shot obsolete.
No it didn’t, I shoot mine at least once a week. I know two other guys who shoot at least a hundred rounds a day.

I don’t think they’d mind if I shared an image their skills. The sling shot is still a popular cartridge in this part of the country.

7F211D4D-5D28-4890-8389-E95DE6535146.jpeg

59128A84-4C53-4725-AC54-48AB24DDB7B8.jpeg

yeah….I miss the days of ole when we used to hash out all the intricacies of the 300 RUM. All this flat brimmed PRC Creedmore crap I can’t believe we still kill animals with our mid evil weapons.
I didn't want to say it, but the RUM makes every cartridge obsolete. mtmuley

300 win and 7mm becoming obsolete. Hilarious!!

Reality is, there's more hunters than there are LR shooters.

Walk into ANY elk camp in the western US.

You will see 30-06, 7mm,270, or 300win. At least one of those, if not all of those.

Mainly because they kill elk. Most guys ain't fixing something that ain't broke.

When a guy is standing over a dead elk/deer, it's kinda hard to convince him it would be deader or would have been deader, .5 sec quicker, thus they need a new gun.

New guns are fun. But obsolete? No.

No it didn’t, I shoot mine at least once a week. I know two other guys who shoot at least a hundred rounds a day.

I don’t think they’d mind if I shared an image their skills. The sling shot is still a popular cartridge in this part of the country.

View attachment 47728

View attachment 47729
That reminds me of the carnival booths where you need to erase the red star completely using an automatic BB rifle. If even a smidgen of red remains, you lose!

Loser
1627662241038.png

Winner
1627662576894.png

Last edited:
I’ve been super happy with my 300 wsm since I bought it. It’s a Sako finnlite that hardly kicks, is light for hauling up and down hills and pretty darn accurate. Not bad for a 30 cal “production” rifle. I use the same 300 wsm for deer antelope elk moose sheep mtn goat bear etc. I had a 300 Winchester that kicked like a son of a gun that I returned after shooting it 3 times.

The important part is finding a rifle that fits like a glove and you are super confident in.

I Think I Lost Every time I Tried that Star Shoot when I Was a Kid!

Typical Carnival Thievery!
Most people try to eradicate it by shooting directly at the red part without taking their finger off the trigger. There were never enough BBs for that to work. In theory, the secret was to circle the star in the white with short bursts, then punch it out. Having that much aiming control was difficult, though.

Most people try to eradicate it by shooting directly at the red part without taking their finger off the trigger. There were never enough BBs for that to work. In theory, the secret was to circle the star in the white with short bursts, then punch it out. Having that much aiming control was difficult, though.
That's why elkassassin shoots a 375 Rum!

Damn near obsolete, but wouldn't mind a 8mm mag. The problem with new cartridges/wildcats is the basic fact that there will likely always be a more readily available cartridge that does close enough to the same thing or better.

6.5 Remington
350 Remington Mag
8mm Mag

The first elk I killed was with a 7x57 Mauser. If I remember correctly (49 yrs ago) it was equally as dead as the one shot last year with my .338 win mag. Or for that matter as the Nilgai that I shot a couple months ago with a 300 PRC.
Just saying…..

The first elk I killed was with a 7x57 Mauser. If I remember correctly (49 yrs ago) it was equally as dead as the one shot last year with my .338 win mag. Or for that matter as the Nilgai that I shot a couple months ago with a 300 PRC.
Just saying…..
The 7X57 is a nice round.

Just prior to moving to AZ from NJ in 1962, I bought a surplus 7X57 Argentine mauser that was still covered in cosmoline. It cost me a little over $18 with tax!

I had a Phoenix gunsmith do all the metal work -- shorten and crown the barrel, work over the bolt handle, install a Timney trigger & blue the whole thing. In the meantime, I was working on a fancy Fajen inletted stock that had a final polish of pumice & rottenstone. A stain & high-gloss lacquer followed.

I wasn't reloading then, but even with the limited commercial loads available, it was a tack driver. I think I was using the somewhat slow 154 grain soft points from Norma. I killed two deer & one javelina with it before I bought my M70 .264 in 1965. The Mauser then became a shelf queen, so I sold it for $250 a year later.

What about the .284 Winchester mag I don't know much about it from what I heard flat shooting. I inherited one have been thinking about putting a new scope on it and taking it deer hunting this year.
Pretty close to a .270 just like the .264 and .280 all about the same or does the .284 shoot a little flatter or longer?
Question hopefully somebody can fill me in on this one thanks

What about the .284 Winchester mag I don't know much about it from what I heard flat shooting. I inherited one have been thinking about putting a new scope on it and taking it deer hunting this year.
Pretty close to a .270 just like the .264 and .280 all about the same or does the .284 shoot a little flatter or longer?
I've never heard it with MAG at the end.....it's just a 284 winchester.

Savage 99's were chambered in it...it's no fireball

.280 is about the same as a .260......they're good old cartridges. Now the 280 Ackley.....that's an impressive cartidge. Very efficient in the powder sense.

The 280 really shines as a 6.5x284

.264 Winny is more appreciable today then it was when it came out. A cartidge that was ahead of its time.

Kinda Funny the 264 WIN Mag wasn't all that Popular Forever!

Shoulda Called it a 6.5 50 Years ago!

.280 is about the same as a .260......they're good old cartridges. Now the 280 Ackley.....that's an impressive cartidge. Very efficient in the powder sense.

.264 Winny is more appreciable today then it was when it came out. A cartidge that was ahead of its time.

I built a 280ai 5 yrs ago, very impressed with its performance…

Here’s my take…
22 creedmoor could make the 22-250 “obsolete”
If people catch on 6mm creed will make the 243 “obsolete”
6.5 creed made the 260 “obsolete”
6.5prc made the 6.5x284 “obsolete”
26 nosler/6.5x300wby made the 264win “obsolete”
280ai/7mm saum are just a 7mm mag but cuter and efficient
28 nosler made the 7mm RUM/7mm STW “obsolete”
300prc/300 nosler won’t make the 300win obsolete
338 lapua, 338rum, 33nos made the old school 338 obsolete

lmmfao....
Here’s my take…
lmmfao....

Here’s my take…
None of the above will be obsolete… EVER!

I've never heard it with MAG at the end.....it's just a 284 winchester.

Savage 99's were chambered in it...it's no fireball
So is it an decent cartridge, does it perform, it is flat shooting, easy shooting, is it worth it to get it sighted in and use it on deer or elk. Or just a range gun

Yup. I've owned mine since 1965, and it has been my go-to rifle ever since even though I've owned dozens of other rifles of different configuartions over those years. It has killed everything from blue grouse (dinner in elk camp!) to a Canada moose, with dozens of critters in between. Plus, I used it to shoot in silhouette matches in the early 1970s.

From a thread on another site titled "Bloodiest Guns:"

Here's a recap of critters my trusty M70 has let the air out of over the last 50+ years. It started with the Kaibab buck in the earlier photo in this thread and ended with my little desert sheep. In between those two, that .264 did an outstanding job.

I don't have exact numbers, but between mule deer, eastern & Tex. whitetail, Coues and CA blacktail, it has put down at least four dozen deer; also, six pronghorns, 11 elk, more than a dozen javelina (I used different guns for others); four B.C. & one Ontario black bears; and at least 12 coyotes and two bobcats. Add a 61" Canada moose, three caribou subspecies, 11 of my 12 animals from Africa; a red stag, tahr, chamois and wallaby from New Zealand; and several exotic sheep, goats, a Russian hog, a blackbuck and a Scimitar oryx.

Although the M70 has been the go-to, others that drew blood on game over the years include a Win M255 .22 mag, custom Mauser 7x57, Marlin 336 Texan 30/30 (my 1st CF), Win. M100 .243, Weatherby MK V .270 Wea., Browning Safari .270 Win, Browning BAR .300 WM, Browning A-bolt .338 WM, S&W M19 .357, Knight BP ML, custom Robar M700 .300WM, and a Ruger SS .22 mag. In 1959, the Marlin killed my first buck -- a big NY state whitetail with 13" spikes.

Sadly, within month or so, the M70 will get listed for sale in the classified section here. Same for my Robar custom M700 .300 WM. They are the only firearms I still own.

Last edited:
Plenty of gun for javies. :ROFLMAO: But it does sound shot out. I’ll keep that in mind when I’m formulating my offer. Not that a 264 has been on my to-do list for 40 years.;)

Plenty of gun for javies. :ROFLMAO: But it does sound shot out. I’ll keep that in mind when I’m formulating my offer. Not that a 264 has been on my to-do list for 40 years.;)
Last time I shot it at paper just prior to my sheep hunt in 2012, it was still grouping decent.

After carrying it many miles in a saddle scabbard, the stock & bluing were getting sorta ratty looking. So I had Robar Inc. put a NP3 no-rust coating on all the metal parts and added a McMillan synthetic stock.

This is what it looks like now with a new Leupold 50mm objective installed:

COmuledeer.jpg

Last edited:
Last time I shot it at paper just prior to my sheep hunt in 2012, it was still grouping decent.

After carrying it many miles in a saddle scabbard, the stock & bluing was getting sorta ratty looking. So I had Robar Inc. put a NP3 no-rust coating on all the metal parts and added a McMillan synthetic stock.

This is what it looks like now with a new Leupold 50mm obective installed:

View attachment 48356
ouch....really?

A funny story about my .264...

A member of our old Hunting Forum on Compuserve invited me to hunt whitetails on a ranch near Del Rio TX. (Yup, same one with the rat in another thread!) The place was huge, and there were only three of us hunting. It was neat because I could hunt it without being confined to a blind.

The first day I passed on several small bucks I had glassed. On the 2nd, I had walked about a 1/2 mile from the ranch house at dawn & set up to glass from a hilltop. Minutes later I spotted a huge buck feeding smack dab in the middle of a big field almost a mile away. I quickly dropped down into a gulley & worked my way closer, staying out of the deer's sight & sort of parallel to the field. When I figured I was about even, I duckwalked up a hill & peered over the top. The buck was still there. It was no more than 250 yds.

I was able to shoot from a prone position. When the buck turned broadside, I fired. The buck never moved. I fired again; same result. I emptied the magazine; nothing. While I was reloading, the buck saunteredd off in a slow walk, directly away from me. I shot twice more without harming a hair.

To be sure I hadn't hit him even though he didn't react, I went out & carefully followed the path he took. Not a drop of blood or clipped hair anywhere. Dejected, I went back to the ranch house, packed my stuff & left a note for my host. I told him I had blown my chance & was heading home.

So a month later on my annual Steenkin' Peeg Hunt, I set up a target near camp at 25 yards & pulled out the rifle. Three shots never hit the paper.

It was really strange because I shot the rifle at a range just before the TX hunt, and it was dead-on where I wanted it to be. So when I got home I pulled out my bore sighter; it was so far off, I ran out of clicks!

I laid the gun down on the table, and that's when I noticed the problem; the front bell of the scope was way out of whack, canting down toward the barrel. With little effort, I was able to move it back to straight or to point upward, right or left.

Mystery solved. Evidentally, the weld between the bell & the main tube went kaput. Depending on the objective's orientation at the time, I was either shooting really, really high; really, really low; really, really left or really, really right at the TX buck.

So I made a call to the PR contact at Leupold. He used the replacement value of the old, now-discontinued scope, which I owned for 20 years, against a brandy new upgrade. That's the one in the photo.

Ah...gotcha.

I thought you f’d up a westener.....
Nah. When I lived in NJ, the neighbor across the street was an accountant for Stoeger Arms in NYC. He used to give my dad good prices deals on saltwater tackle.

We had moved to Arizona in 1962, but my mom & dad, who moved to AZ before us '61, had kept in touch with the neighbor thru letters. Her husband had moved up to become president of Stoeger's. So when I decided to buy a new rifle, I contacted him. I also ordered a Redfield 3x9 w/matching rings. Before that one, I used Weaver glass.

That combo on the .264 did me well for a decade. Then when we moved to Colorado in the mid-1970s, my wife went to work for Redfield in its Durango facility. As result she got a nice employee discount, which led to me owning several of the newer 3x9 Widefields.

I've been thru a LOT of guns over the years. There are a couple I would like to get back. The one rifle I wish I still had was my German-made .270 Weatherby MK5. A couple years after I traded for it, the stock split right behind the tang. Weatherby replaced it at no charge with one of the most beautiful figured high-gloss stocks I've ever seen. I sold the rifle for $1100 when we moved back to Phx in 1970 because we needed more money for house we wanted to buy. The gun was still in pristine condition.

The other one is the Browning 20 ga. Citori that I sold in 2003 to help finance my hunt in Africa.

I also rue the day I got rid of my Charles Daly 20ga. o/u. I traded it to a fellow photographer in the 1970s for a motorized Minolta camera that I never used. He's dead now, but his daughter who is a retired national park employee in her 50s, inherited it. I tried to buy it from her a few years back, but she said "no way" because she still uses it.

So here's a fun fact:

Over all the years and dozens of rifles I've owned, not ONE has been a pre-64 of any Winchester model. And I had access to many used M70s when I worked at the Jewel Box in downtown Phoenix in 1970 or so.

Last edited:
What happened to the wssm craze from a few years back? There was a 223, 25, 243 if I remember right?

Nah. When I lived in NJ, the neighbor across the street was an accountant for Stoeger Arms in NYC. He used to give my dad good prices deals on saltwater tackle.

We had moved to Arizona in 1962, but my mom & dad, who moved to AZ before us '61, had kept in touch with the neighbor thru letters. Her husband had moved up to become president of Stoeger's. So when I decided to buy a new rifle, I contacted him. I also ordered a Redfield 3x9 w/matching rings. Before that one, I used Weaver glass.

That combo on the .264 did me well for a decade. Then when we moved to Colorado in the mid-1970s, my wife went to work for Redfield in its Durango facility. As result she got a nice employee discount, which led to me owning several of the newer 3x9 Widefields.

I've been thru a LOT of guns over the years. There are a couple I would like to get back. The one rifle I wish I still had was my German-made .270 Weatherby MK5. A couple years after I traded for it, the stock split right behind the tang. Weatherby replaced it at no charge with one of the most beautiful figured high-gloss stocks I've ever seen. I sold the rifle for $1100 when we moved back to Phx in 1970 because we needed more money for house we wanted to buy. The gun was still in pristine condition.

The other one is the Browning 20 ga. Citori that I sold in 2003 to help finance my hunt in Africa.

I also rue the day I got rid of my Charles Daly 20ga. o/u. I traded it to a fellow photographer in the 1970s for a motorized Minolta camera that I never used. He's dead now, but his daughter who is a retired national park employee in her 50s, inherited it. I tried to buy it from her a few years back, but she said "no way" because she still uses it.

So here's a fun fact:

Over all the years and dozens of rifles I've owned, not ONE has been a pre-64 of any Winchester model. And I had access to many used M70s when I worked at the Jewel Box in downtown Phoenix in 1970 or so.
I think I saw that you are selling your current rifles? If so, why? mtmuley

No offense Outdoor Writer, but i remember what Jack O'Conner once wrote about the 264 W Mag.

Paraphrasing, may not be the exact words, a 264 Mag is just a 270 but uses 10% more powder with a longer barrel and more recoil.

Of course Ol' jack was not biased.....LOL.

bad on Ford and Chevrolet but good on you

I think I saw that you are selling your current rifles? If so, why? mtmuley
I will be when I get the energy. They've sat in the closet without moving now for about nine years. ☹️

Reason: my hunting days are over due to my health.

In addition to the two rifles, I have a rare antique Parker Bro. 10 ga. with 36" barrels. Supposedly only about a dozen made.

No offense Outdoor Writer, but i remember what Jack O'Conner once wrote about the 264 W Mag.

Paraphrasing, may not be the exact words, a 264 Mag is just a 270 but uses 10% more powder with a longer barrel and more recoil.

Of course Ol' jack was not biased.....LOL.

bad on Ford and Chevrolet but good on you
Of course, he was sorta right. I once owned a Browning Safari Grade .270 and later had a Ruger 77 .270, which I gave to my oldest son years ago. I worked up a ballistic chart for him using the 130 gr. factory load. The trajectory compared quite favorably to my .264 with a factory 140 gr, load. It's been while now, but if I recall energy was somewhat less.

For the most part, I used the 140 for everything, but I used Hornady 160 gr. RN bullets on my moose. Put three of them thru the lungs, with all the bullets stopping against the hide on the far side. He still ran off about 100 yards before he laid down. Don't recall the exact velocity, but it was somewhere between 2750 & 2850 fps.

Last edited:
He killed a lot of animals when you could, and there was little pressure on them. Many he killed in other areas and countries had never seen a human before. His wife killed almost as many with a 7x57!

Asked once about his love for the 270, he answered because they didn't come out with the 280 first!!! 7MM rules. :)

So is it an decent cartridge, does it perform, it is flat shooting, easy shooting, is it worth it to get it sighted in and use it on deer or elk. Or just a range gun
it's a great round dh53....with such a selection of powders and bullets today you could make it very useful......it just gets way overlooked with so much else out there....

Finally!

Somebody that knows how to Install a SILVER Scope on a SILVER Barrel!

I Like it!

After carrying it many miles in a saddle scabbard, the stock & bluing were getting sorta ratty looking. So I had Robar Inc. put a NP3 no-rust coating on all the metal parts and added a McMillan synthetic stock.

This is what it looks like now with a new Leupold 50mm objective installed:

View attachment 48356

Smokeless 22lr made 22 Winchester auto and 22 Remington auto obsolete........and long gone

Pre
Pre 64's ain't all they are cracked up to be. Had one, hated it. It's gone. mtmuley
I have a pre 64 30.06 that has never been shot. It was my Granpa's gun my uncle bought for him when he was getting older. He never got to go out and use it so when my uncle passed I got it. Still has the sale tag on the trigger guard. I'm sure it is worth a few bucks...

it's a great round dh53....with such a selection of powders and bullets today you could make it very useful......it just gets way overlooked with so much else out there....
Thanks Homer if you were shooting it what grain bullet is best in that gun. I would like to use it it is a beautiful gun hand made stock

He killed a lot of animals when you could, and there was little pressure on them. Many he killed in other areas and countries had never seen a human before. His wife killed almost as many with a 7x57!

Asked once about his love for the 270, he answered because they didn't come out with the 280 first!!! 7MM rules. :)
I wrote elsewhere about my 7x57 that was an custom upgrade of an $18 Argentine Mauser.

I have a pre 64 30.06 that has never been shot. It was my Granpa's gun my uncle bought for him when he was getting older. He never got to go out and use it so when my uncle passed I got it. Still has the sale tag on the trigger guard. I'm sure it is worth a few bucks...
And that reminds me of another really odd fact:

I have never owned a 30/06 in any rifle configuration. But.. in 1963 I bought a Rem 742 w/Weaver 4X for my grandfather and reloaded his ammo.

Finally!

Somebody that knows how to Install a SILVER Scope on a SILVER Barrel!

I Like it!
Funny you mention that because when I first had the NP3 done, I was still using a black Leupold. It did look ugly, tho. Yet if it hadn't gone kaput, I probably would have never changed to silver.

The 264 Win mag would have enjoyed a much longer popularity except it was billed by all the gun writers as being an over bore barrel burner. I can't say if it was or not but that's why I never bought one even though I wanted to. I could just imagine my barrel melting off after a few boxes of ammo. :)

Other than one year of shooting in metallic silhouette matches every weekend, my .264 didn't get used enough to burn out the barrel. Most years, I never even fired a box of ammo out of it. In Africa I killed 11 of 12 critters (zebra w/.300WM) with one shot each & the same for a 1/2 dozen in New Zealand. In any other year, I would shoot a round or two to check zero and then maybe expend 2-6 rounds on game, depending on how many hunts I did. So I'm guessing it still as a few boxes left in it.

Last edited:
What happened to the wssm craze from a few years back? There was a 223, 25, 243 if I remember right?
those rounds were developed by an engineer that had no business designing cartridges.......they are inherently poor at feeding.

When I hunted New Zealand in 2005, I paid part of my fee by bringing the outfitter a brandy new M700 in 7mm SAUM, along with two boxes of ammo that I bought direct from Remington. I packed the gun in my hardcase with my .264 and left the 700 with him when I departed.

A few years back I bought a custom 300 rum, it’s called a tejas, pretty cool round but I don’t know if it’s that much better than a 300 RUM

Several friends bought into the SAUM craze when it hit. They have all sold those rifles, and gone back to regular old WSM cartridges. The 270 and 300 WSM are great rounds, and perform well. Right now, those are one of the few rounds that is still relatively easy to find around here.

I'll have to check with my NZ outfitter to see if he still has his. He 's a member at another site I visit & also on FB.

Here's Tim's reply from FB. after I asked him about the M700.

"One of the best Rifles I ever owned. Eventually the barrel wore out, after accounting for 100’s of Big Game animals. I sold the frame to a young guy who has converted it to a Long Distance Rig. I’m not sure which caliber. The Titanium actions are sought after for that purpose. Nowadays I’m using mainly 300WM. 7 SAUM is a magnificent cartridge. Just very hard to get Ammo or Brass in NZ."

Laser rangefinders have negated the longest +/- 4" trajectory advantage that faster bullets had and made slicker higher sectional density bullets more advantageous for long range shooting. That being said, I doubt your odds of getting your animal are much different carrying an old 30-06 with a 4x scope vs a new long range specialty setup.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom