CCW and gun purchases.

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
My son went to the Henderson's Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago to purchase a shotgun for our upcoming turkey hunt in Arizona. He found what he wanted but the salesman said he had have a CCW to get the gun. I was confused. Is this something the Sportsman's is doing or is our state doing this? I know CCW's are for safety and control but Hunter Ed does this for the hunting side. Anyone have any info on this?

There is no requirement to have a CCW to buy a gun. Unless it's a Clark County thing. I would challenge it. Or go somewhere else.

I’d be calling Sportsmans Warehouse and talking to the store manager about this if I were you. There’s definetly something wrong there

I do know that everyone needs a background check to buy a gun in Nevada. If you have a CCW permit they will waive the background check. Could it have been because of his young age?
It sounds like there was some confusion or a communication breakdown.
Best of luck to you!

I called the gun sales to verify what he had said and the person said yes you have to have a CCW. Still confused!

My only guess would be that I've heard getting background check right now is often a multi-hour wait due to demand. I suppose they could impose an in-store policy so their employees dont have sit there for hours unable to do the rest of their job.

So the background process is so backed up, they'll sell you the gun but you have to wait for the results to come back to take the gun home.

my son has the CCW and can walk out with a gun, I have a retired PO identification, which allows me everything the CCW does, except the way they wrote the law, retired Peace Officers aren't included.

My only guess would be that I've heard getting background check right now is often a multi-hour wait due to demand. I suppose they could impose an in-store policy so their employees dont have sit there for hours unable to do the rest of their job.
That makes a lot of sense. I bet that’s what’s going on here.

If I have a CCW permit from another state, can I buy a gun in Nevada without the background check?

I went to that same Sportsman’s Warehouse last week & saw the same thing. They are ONLY selling guns & ammo from that location & I was told by an employee that they were instructed to do so by the Henderson police department. You can however purchase all other items from the store online & pick them up curbside. All of this is being done for the “social distancing” aspect in response to Covid-19. As Kalielkslayer stated the system is so backed up for running background checks that it is now taking 4-5 days to get through the approval process. SW took the countermeasure of stating that they were only serving people with a CCW to keep the process of selling a firearm to a minimum amount of time.

If I have a CCW permit from another state, can I buy a gun in Nevada without the background check?
You can purchase a muzzleloader or shotgun with your out of state CCW but not a rifle or pistol. The same applies for EVERY state, that law is not specific to NV.

You'd think that would be easy enough to tell customers or put up a simple sign.....
I’m not certain if SW had a sign out front when mickeyelk’s son attempted to make a purchase, but when I went they had a large sign directly outside of the front door & multiple signs inside at the gun counter.

No sign out front, I just asked him. He was about to purchase the gun and then the sales clerk asked if he had it. Must have been when they first started.

A non resident can buy a muzzle loader.....not a shotgun
Is that specific to NV? Im a NV resident & I purchased a shotgun in WA in 2019 (Cabela’s) & another in MS in 2017 at a local gun shop.

I found this on the ATF website. You can purchase both a rifle or shotgun out of state so long as it takes place at the licensee’s place of business.
AED04DB3-605C-40C8-A263-51F3C0A8EFD8.jpeg

well no kidding.......I can buy a handgun in Nevada if it goes to an ffl in my state.....

well no kidding.......I can buy a handgun in Nevada if it goes to an ffl in my state.....
True. Handguns are handled differently & must be processed through an FFL both in the state of purchase & the state that it is transferred to.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom