Cemetery buck is dead!

X

XPB

My friend was out hunting and took this photo of the cemetery buck strapped onto a hunters pack. Fish and game were there checking it out. Looked like they were laughing and smiling so it must have been a legit kill. Lucky guy, that is a sweet buck. Hopefully, we will get to see some pics of him or the buck in person at the outdoor show or something. Love to see what he scored and see him up close. Glad for the hunter, but sad to see such a sweet buck go too. My friend saw him on the hoof a couple days before and he was a smart buck during hunting season and super skiddish. Again, congrats to the hunter. A well known buck and the buck of a lifetime!

3935image.jpg

Well!

I guess on some of these Bucks you'd about have to call the UDWR as soon as you Harvested them just so you got Proof of it being Legal before the BS starts Flyin!

Kinda liked seein this Bucks Pics for the last few years!

If the Hunter got Him Legal I've only got one thing to say:

Nice Job!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

That buck was 3 days short of surviving 3 years of rut hunting and what a trophy he will be for the hunter. But dang, I'm gonna miss him.

What would you do? Knowing how bad people on here critisize others for their actions, would you brave the MM elements and post pics, or just enjoy it by yourself?

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

Post Em Yelum cause I'll bet a decent number of people who criticize will never have what this Hunter has let alone the ambition to hunt the front for weeks maybe even years before succeeding. I'm happy for the hunter great job hope he posts would love to hear the score.

I to am sad to see this. I enjoyed the last three years watching this buck during my lunch. But as long as he was taken lawfully a huge congrats to the lucky hunter and his awesome trophy. Hopefully we will get to see some final pictures of this amazing buck.

I heard about 2 weeks ago the buck was gut shot. Group went looking for him and never turned him. I wonder if they ended up finding him or if it was bs. Just pretty ironic that the dude said his buddy hit him back then... walla someone shoots him.

I saw him Friday and he was not gut shot. He was running and rutting hard. I met the young guy on the mountain a few times. He put in the time as I think has been on the mountain almost everyday for a week or more straight. Wish I had that much time. Yes, I am little jealous.:)

>I saw him Friday and he
>was not gut shot. He
>was running and rutting hard.
>I met the young guy
>on the mountain a few
>times. He put in the
>time as I think has
>been on the mountain almost
>everyday for a week or
>more straight. Wish I had
>that much time. Yes, I
>am little jealous.:)

That's cool. I wasn't trying to discredit anybody or anything. Just sharing what I heard down the grape vine. Congrats to the hunter

I kinda had a feeling he wasn't going to make it this year. Too bad as many enjoyed watching this buck but I am sure he passed on his genes to others and maybe his offspring will grace us with their presence.

Congrats to the Hunter on a buck of a lifetime. I would also love to see more pics and hear the details of the story!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I doubt you will see the story or pictures here. People on this site are chomping at the bit to descredit success and knock down anybody's accomplishment (despite not having a clue as to the effort put forth). I'm willing to bet their rebuttles are already typed up and they're waiting for the thread.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-13 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]I wouldn't post it here or anywhere else. You would get the picture and ethics police barking down your throat accusing you of shooting someone's pet and how it isn't ethical to shoot bucks as tame as him. (Even though dozens, if not more, have chased this buck for multiple years and haven't been able to close the deal.). Not to mention the nature freaks and PETA folk that would harass you. Weird how the ethics and picture police have become like PETA to their fellow hunters?

Good for the hunter. That is a great deer. He'd look very nice on my wall. Wish it were mine!

I have bow hunted for over 50 years, and although I am glad he didn't meet his demise by a car or harsh winter, I still hate to see him go.

Here's a few photos I took during the past few years of this great buck.

8236344fs_s_.jpg

8077261s.jpg

And here are a couple I took just a month or so ago.

8405462.jpg

9491432.jpg

6576443.jpg

And if I am not mistaken, this is the very last photo I ever took of him. Thanks for all the great photo shoots you allowed me to enjoy Mr. Cemetery Buck. It was fun to watch you grow your antlers each year. I will miss you, as will many others.

9928448.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all. BB

Sometime later, when I have the time, I will do an honor thread on this great buck and show some of my favorite photos of him from the time I first started taking his photo and watching him.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-13 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p] I'm sure glad I took some time in Oct to go see the old boy and video him... He was a stud..!!

Congrats to the hunter.!! I'm so glad he wasn't hit by a car or killed by dogs. He will now receive the respect and homage he deserves on a deserving hunter's mantle...

See him here:

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

>I doubt you will see the
>story or pictures here. People
>on this site are chomping
>at the bit to descredit
>success and knock down anybody's
>accomplishment (despite not having a
>clue as to the effort
>put forth). I'm willing to
>bet their rebuttles are already
>typed up and they're waiting
>for the thread.

I can only Speak for myself!

Refer to Post # 2!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Heres my last pic, and its how I would have him mounted.

Yelum

3233dreammount2.jpg

Awesome buck...congrats to the hunter. I'm going to miss all the photos of him.

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

I feel like my relative just died....very sad to hear he's gone. This buck was fun to watch. Pics don't do this guy justice. RIP my friend!

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

Super buck, I probably would have shot him too and am glad he died at the end of November. I also hope he bred lots of does this year before his demise.

One thing should be noted, he wasn't "skittish" at all outside the cemetary. I have talked to 2 different people that had run into him while out hiking the hills last year. In November, he leaves the cemetary and travels to legal hunting areas. Both these people who ran into him are hunters and both did not have a bowtag and could have shot him 10 yards away. The deer simply had no regard that humans were next to him.

However, while chasing skittish does, he might as well act the same as a skittish doe when trying to breed it.

I do not mean to spoil anyones trophy. When I saw the post that "cemetary buck was dead" I was hoping it was an arrow and not a car. He is a true trophy and will look hansom hanging above the fireplace of some lucky hunter's house.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-13 AT 07:30AM (MST)[p]Sad - I was hoping the old boy outsmarted us all. Looks like he succumbed to his nature and that was his fatal flaw. Congrats to the hunter. I am glad he wasn't "gut shot".

Remember, here on MM the words "gut shot", and "hit him a little far back" usually mean "clean miss" when translated into real world terms.

I think that would be the perfect mount for him too YELUM - you could make a nice diorama out of it, with some red and gold tree branches above him and a headstone or two in the background.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

This year I was curious to see how much antler growth the old cemetery buck put on each week. I decided to film him for a few minutes after work on a weekly basis. Some nights I was rushing to the cemetery just to get 2-3 minutes of video before the gates closed.

I was planning on filming again in 2014 but his demise has changed things. I finally put the video together and it is fascinating to see the difference from week to week. I hope you enjoy it.

That was AWESOME Dr. I did the same thing but monthly, as I live to far away for weekly visits. I tried to make it down and film him shedding his velvet, but both years missed it by a day.

He had velvet strips hanging from his bases when I saw him.

Great job putting that together and thanks for sharing it with us.

Yelum

Dr_Hunter, that was awesome. I like Yelum, tried to do the same with pics, not video. Thanks for sharing. He will be missed.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

looks like somebody got an early Christmas present, congrads to the hunter for doing what a lot of people tried to do, put an arrow in the world class buck...heck ya..GREAT JOB...tame? nope he is a wild animal, plain and simple...just like most of us our "needs" get in the way of logic...

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Fair enough BareGrizz. I respect your opinion but I don't see it as a contradiction at all. He wasn't anymore afraid of humans just because he decided to leave the Cemetery. I agree he wasn't walking up to Hunters looking for apples but I would contend that is because he had other things on his mind. I don't know how you could say I would shoot the deer either. I absolutely wouldn't. I guess I just respected him for what he was and couldn't bring myself to shoot him.

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers with a simple opinion, but that's how I feel. Take it or leave it!

Again, congrats to the Hunter!

The fact is the deer is dead, and he was killed legally. Nothing else matters. Whether you would or wouldn't shoot him doesn't matter. I'm glad that I'm 1 of the 100's that got to enjoy this buck for 3 years. Picture/video opportunities with bucks of that caliber are rare. Very few appreciate how rare. Thats the only reason I'm sad he's dead. Not even on the island were deer this photo friendly. Only had one doe there ever walk up to me, car or no car. Only one buck out there ever let me within 30 yards and not head the other way, rut or no rut.

How tame this buck was up on the hill, only those that saw him know. But that doesn't matter either.

I'm with OSOK, I could NEVER shoot this deer. Because he was willining to give me something no other bucks will. An up close chance to enjoy the habits of a wild animal in a tame environment. But I would never criticize another hunter who would choose to shoot him. He has that right, same as me.

Yelum

Come on... you think the geese in the golf course are any different? They know exactly where they are and aren't safe. Thats like saying the geese and ducks are different. Just because you can walk right up them on the golf course doesn't mean they are not wild animals. They will act completely different when not in the sanctuary. Highly doubt he would've made it this long just walking around on the front without being smart.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-13 AT 05:29PM (MST)[p]It would be interesting to know how he behaved outside the cemetery. Inside he could care less about people around him. This photo was taken last winter at about 10 feet after he picked up alfalfa pellets dropped by some kids out the window of their car. He then came over to my truck looking for a handout.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-13 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]I tell ya what, you ought to see the deer and elk that leave Yellowstone park. They know the lines and when they leave they become a whole new animal. Like they flip a switch of total smartness on.

I can tell you this I hunted this buck for two years and had no idea he lived in the cemetery til early this year after seeing him on this website. He is not tame at all out of the cemetery he was more skittish than any of the other bucks around him. After I seen all the pics in the cemetery I didn't want to hunt him anymore just didn't want to deal with the bs. But he was not tame at all he was no different than any other buck in the wild just a very smart old buck that's why he lived this long. Whoever killed him earned him and dont worry about the bs congradulations.

OK. OK,

I will concede that I never saw him out of the Cemetery so it would be wrong for me to judge how he behaved when gone.

A couple comments got me to thinking, such as the Yellowstone example. Fair enough!

I just have a hard time believing he was any different, but I can honestly see how that could happen.

So, congrats to the Hunter on killing a very fine mature buck. I am glad he was killed this way instead of being hit by a car or something else. I give the Hunter credit for doing so.

I am not jealous and I still wouldn't shoot the buck myself knowing he was who he was, but if I saw this buck on the front and didn't know any different I would be the first to fling an arrow his way.

Obviously I am missing something if he made it the past 2 years without being arrowed.

Thanks for the comments and helping me think about this in a little different perspective, especially the constructive ones.

I took this photo from about 400 yards away from me in my spotting scope abouttwo days before he was killed and he had us pinned on a ridge. I tried to hunt this deer and not sure if he had gotten smart over the years, but he sure did not act like a dumb apple eating buck. For a deer to live that long, I think he new exactly when he was safe in town and when something was up with people chasing him that time of the year. In the mountains we had him by himself without does at one time and he was "skiddish" and not ready for you to walk up and give him a apple. I have hunted deer with a bow since I was a little kid and seeing this buck the one day on the mountain compared to any other buck he was just as "wild" as any other mature deer I have seen. To be honest it surprised me because I thought if I found him on the mountain he would be as dumb or tame as a brick. Just telling you what I saw first hand. I was surprised myself.
1190image.jpg

I don't know anything about this buck first hand. How tame he was inside the cemetery or outside the cemetery. I do now this. I've killed my fair share of bucks. Some were hard and some were easy but if those antlers were on any of the bucks I've shot in my lifetime. I'd be jacked!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-13 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]The guy should have taken him down to the Cemetery for some kill shots.

Then posted it up on MM.

Then let it soak here for about a week before coming out with the truth.

I think some don't give animals enough credit. They seem to know when they are safe and when they are not. I have photographed numerous critters that allowed me to get quite close and seemed to not have a care in the world. A lot of these were on public land in the middle of nowhere. It is like they knew I was no threat with a camera in my hand. Then I've had some critters that are just plain ass elusive regardless of where they were. I have a real nice 180 class typical living in my remote neighbourhood. I've only ever seen him in the dark. Guess he knows that not only could a local redneck pook him out the window of their house but the lions and wolves are living in the same neighbourhood. Had a giant whitetail living here as well. In 3 years I only ever saw him once in daylight. Never seen him this year so I assume he is cat scat in some rancher's back forty.

I have often marveled at deer or elk that feed on winter feeding grounds. Those dang things could care less about scent, noise, or anything else.
Get them in the summer or in the mountains and they are totally different.
They are even hard to hunt while they are traveling to the winter feeding areas.

They know where they are safe!

Congrats to the hunter, Glad he will go on some-one wall instead of being a road killed buck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bowhunt- To take your comment even further, how many times have any of us seen a big buck or bull the DAY AFTER season closed within shooting distance of the truck acting totally carefree?!

Each to his own, I say. I would be proud to own the rack from this buck. My biggest buck was killed after stepping out of the truck! His mistake, and my good fortune! Doesn't make him any less of a trophy in my eyes. I had hunted long and hard in sub-zero temps and deep snow for days before I got lucky that day.

You guys have read my rants on hunting the island, I believe them to be tame deer. I believe this deer to be a tame deer. HOWEVER, this deer was hunted every year of his life. He understood humans might kill him, or at least chase him around. He could have easily left this area and traveled hundreds of miles to get away from the pressure. And that in my opinion is what serperates this deer from the island deer. Those island deer are basically never hunted(unless they are the 2 biggest for one day a year) and they are on a small island. I am suprised that his buck left the cemetery, seemed like deer nirvana. Could I have shot him, I don't know, I dont hunt the front and I realize it is a little different than hunting the backcountry, your often gonna see deer that are either urban or semi urban. I am glad it was taken LEGALLY, not poached or shot in town. I think to argue that he wasn't at least semi tame is stupid, we all saw him, photgraphed him. Tell you what though, he wasn't even the biggest or baddest in the cemetery, have you seen that freaking beaver sized squirell that hangs out in there?
At least $fw didn't get to sale a tag with a special season, and locked cemetery gates to denny to kill him!(Yeah you knew I was gonna take my shot sooner or later)

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

CB was certainly an amazing deer to me and many others. Spending the last month hunting him I have gained a whole new level of respect for the Cemetery Buck.

He gave hunters and other spectators an opportunity that most people will never get. I always wondered what really motivated him to spend his life in the cemetery... Was it because he was born there and that's all he knew. Is it because that's where he had the best feed/habitat. Or was it because he knew that's where he was the safest? I'll never really know but I definitely have my opinion.

"Living in the cemetery was brilliant, and he knew it"

CB had two main predators and all he needed to do was out smart both of them and his odds of surviving would be greater than any other 200 inch deer living outside the cemetery on the Wasatch Front.

CB was an amazing online icon.. This was crucial to help deter one of is few predators he had - POACHERS. For someone to try and get away with this would be nearly impossible giving the online presence he created for himself.

There are a few other ways he could've died but his number one threat was 3,000 pounds of metal blindsiding him on Foothill Blvd. He has eluded cars for years and one year he even had a close call. For him to live where he did and not be killed by a car is pretty impressive by its self.

Now I know he was probably not weighing his odds to determine where to live and where his best chances of survival were but he knew he was safer while living in the cemetery than while living up on the mountain.

What if he lived in the high country of the Wasatch Front would he have lived longer? Maybe but with how popular the Wasatch has become and the amount of people on every ridge. He would've had his work cut out for him. It was SMART decisions like living in the cemetery that gave him the ability to out smart hunters for the past three years.

CB's cunning ability to evade hunters during the month of November was impressive!!

November is supposed to be a bucks most vulnerable time and some how CB out smarted me and other hunters for three years! My respect grew for him as I would see the number of hunters on the hill trying to outsmart the old buck! I had the chance to meet a few guys along the way that had several close calls.. One guy even referred to him as a ghost, as we weren't sure he could be killed.

CB loved his does, he was willing to risk his life during the rut to breed as many as he could. It seemed every time I would find him he was on a hot doe. I thought all I needed to do now is outsmart the doe and I'll get my opportunity. I learned real quick he was the smartest deer on the hill and had no problem leaving his hot doe if something didn't seem right.

In early November I had him and his HOT doe at 70 yards when I made a fatal mistake. I moved to soon and now they're looking directly at me trying to figure out what I was... A couple minutes go by and the doe starts feeding my way, CB can tell something isn't right and trotted out to 150 yards, he looks back at his doe who was now 20 yards from me. All I could hope for, was for him to turn into one of those dumb rutting, 225 inch bucks you hear people talk about that live in the cemetery. I started praying to the deer gods.. Come on CB, come back, your doe is hot and she's right next to me!! He never did come back he proceeded making his way down and across the canyon continually looking back at his doe. I can only imagine how hard it would be to leave a hot doe who looks to be out of harms way. That's the moment I realized I would have to outsmart him and his does if I were to get another opportunity. During the 3 weeks I hunted this buck there were several occasions just like this where I found myself thinking can this buck who lives in the cemetery really be this smart... After spending all that time hunting him I certainly answered the question for myself. "He's no doubt an old wary buck "!!

It's easy to say he was "tame" or wasn't even "skittish" for those who never saw him on the mountain because of where he lived and how he acted in the cemetery. But I would say because of where he lived he was more skittish and more aware than any other deer I had seen on the mountain in 24 days of hunting CB!

Perhaps CB had an education of humans that most deer don't get. He would watch us on a daily basis, learn our habits and would even see how close he could get with still staying in control.. Shoot, I bet he even had some of you patterned! ; ) And maybe just maybe with whatever he learned from watching humans for hundreds of hours he used to his advantage to evade hunters for the past three years.

Is it luck that he was able to live for so long with this type of hunting pressure for three years.. Is it luck he didn't get killed by a car..
Or would you give him the credit of being one of those old "wary"bucks that have a sixth sense to stay a live?

huntdl, that was a great post!

Great post hunt, loved the personal insight to a part off him I never got to see. Especially the him patterning us comment. I know for a fact that is true, as one day while filming him, he turned and looked at a car pulling up on another road, and he then got up and walked right over to it and was feed by the occupents. He had that car memorized. I hope he got a lot of breeding done up there.

Yelum

Awesome first post hunt! I watched him quite a bit last summer while working at the u. It's bitter sweet to see him go but I couldn't think of a better way for cb to go. Once again... Congrats to the hunter

Huntdl,

Best post I have read on here in sometime. Thanks for the personal touch and tribute to a truly amazing deer.

Best post and well said huntdl! Again congrats to the hunter on a truly amazing harvest.

When thinking about this scenario I always revert back to the elk to come winter at Hardware Ranch.....they are wild elk, but come in there for the ppl to see them all winter long knowing that they are safe, but as soon as they leave they become weary again!!! They ain't as dumb as we think.....wether raised in the city or not.

They ain't
>as dumb as we think.....wether
>raised in the city or
>not.

I agree. I have seen big bull elk trick hunters in the hardware ranch area. The bulls were in the meadow and there were tons of trucks scouting them out, these 2 big bulls start walking towards one of the exits and all the trucks start up. The bulls walk to within 5 feet of the exit and lay down. Awesome.

I read the whole thread and I'm still shaking my head.

By some of your comments you'd think this guy just shot your little sister!

Come on guys, it's a deer legally taken during a legal hunting season through legal means. Isn't that what we all hoped the end would be for this great deer? It sure as hell beats some of the other options.

Congratulations to the hunter!

Zeke

Come on Zeke, what do you expect. I took a hell of a lot more pics of this deer than I ever took of my sister. lol Ya, if you consider car, poacher, lion, then no doubt, glad it was an archer that got it done. I think most here feel the same way. We'll just miss the opportunity to see a buck of this size up close. Truly a once in a lifetime buck, for us, as well as the hunter. Everytime I saw him I was in AWE.

Yelum

Really sad to hear, my trips to the city just won't be the same anymore. Congrats to the hunter..

huntdl, I liked your post. Your experience was similar to mine. I'm not an archer but I had first hand experience helping a friend over 3 seasons.

This is my favorite picture of him. It's one I took in 2011 before I even knew he lived in the cemetery. He was on public land outside the city limits and he was rutting a doe. I stalked in on him over the course of an hour and had him within bow range several times. (This was the year a lot of people think he grew that funky rack because he got hit by a car. Note his ribs show quite a bit.)

I would check him out in the cemetery once in a while but every time I did I thought it lacked a little something. Yes it was cool to see the deer up close, but I also knew what it was like to discover him on public land during a hunting season.

16332011_buck_front.jpg

I thought 2011 & 2012 were his best years.

Here's a video I put together for CB if you'd like to check it out. Sad to see him go, but it was always a pleasure watching him and even more of a pleasure hunting him for the short time he spent up in the hills. I had my chances, but as hunting goes sometimes it just doesn't work out all the time. I'm happy that I got some video of him rutting and living up in the mountains. He was much more of an impressive looking buck seeing him out of the cemetery.

Tribute to the Cemetery Buck

Well as many have stated it was an honor. Being able take my son up to the cemetery and see the look on his face in getting to see first hand what a true trophy mule deer looks like,was absolutely priceless. He will be missed but again am very very happy that it was done legally and ethically. He truly deserved that much. A very big congrats to the hunter. He was able to do what I know many of us tried but just could not accomplish. I also saw him on the hill Ruttin away and it was sure fun to see. Knowing those genes were getting passed on was the ice ing on the cake for me. He was a true GIANT!!!pictures are awesome but I still will miss the outings with my son and the true face to face looks that he was able to have. Magnificent MONSTER Muley!!!

Yelum. My son and I wanted to thank you for all the amazing pictures u were able to take and post. They are awesome. Thank you thank you.

That was awesome Brandon. Thanks for sharing. Put that link on my post as well. Wow, 3 years of seeeing him rut. What a treat.

Yelum

Nice footage themtnguide !!!

Thanks for posting up.

Congrats to the hunter. Would love to know the story and what he scores.

Cheers,
Pete

Does anyone or has anyone seen a good pic of this buck actually on the ground? The pic here with the DWR sure as heck don't look like him to me! Therefore I don't believe he is dead until I can see a bit better proof. Hopefully someone will post them up

You may, or may not ever see them posted, but he is dead. Though not the exact angle, this pic shows good enough. I had little doubt when I saw the pic.

686tombzoom.jpg

47833935image.jpg

Yelum

Good post! Puts it into perspective! I would still like to see him on the ground!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom