Central Manti Early Rifle

Buckjunkie

Ok, I submitted my application for the Manti. I have 16 points as a Non-Res and should draw if there isn't a lot of movement. I have been in the unit during elk season and saw some decent Bulls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope your the only one with 16 points putting in. I put in with 15 non res points. You should draw. Good Luck to you. Hope you have a great hunt.

I agree with DPB^^^^^^

I've spent a ton of time on the Manti this winter..
I too have seen a number of impressive bulls,
Plus good herd numbers with cows and calves.

I had 3 units on my short list for 2016 to apply archery elk.
After what I've seen the last six weeks,
I put my application in for Manti this year---

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

The Manti is a big unit so you will need to narrow down your search. If you know some of it, you may want to stick with what you know, unless you have time to scout lots. The dates for the early rifle hunt hunt fall in prime rut time this year, so finding good groups of cows and then picking through bulls that are hanging with them will be key. It sounds like a great time. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone. I'm not much of an elk Hunter, but I want to do the tag justice. Like a lot of you I've been applying for a long time. I'm just hoping I can locate a good bull for the unit. Going out a week early if I draw. Good luck to all!

The Manti gets hit with a lot of hunters so expect a lot of crowds if you hunt from close to the road. If you are willing to put a little boot leather down and head into the back country, you can get away from most of the crowd! It should be a fun and productive hunt! I've seen some impressive bulls that made it through the fall hunts! As was previously mentioned, if you are going at it by yourself, stick to the areas you know and have seen elk in and make sure to scout scout scout!!!

I put in for the same unit with 14 resident points. I hunted with my brother-in-law a few years back and saw 3-4 bulls over 350 and one really nice 390 bull that we only saw once. Fun hunt with lots of bulls! Hope we both get lucky!

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff
http://www.workmanpredatorcalls.com

I will have 15 points going into next years draw as a non-resident. Granted, I have friends who hunt the unit frequently and I will be hunting away from the majority of the crowd on horseback. I say majority, because there are a lot of people who hunt off horses.

I didn't apply for it this year because I switched jobs and won't have enough leave time built up by September to do the tag justice.

Good luck if you draw, which you should.

Dillon

At the range for the fifth weekend in a row. Tuning and tuning. I hope I don't burn my barrel out before the hunt...assuming I draw?

It's only April and I'm excited for this season. Good luck to all!

Hunted it since I was 3(killed me a bar too). Huge country. The downfall that time of year is the massive atv crowd that runs those mtns. You also have the muzzy hunters scouting. Weekends are packed with toyhaulers.

Second. Sheep. Those tasty critters are running all over that unit that time of year, and they cover a lot of ground. I would wait to scout until right before the hunt, otherwise everything you found earlier might be covered in wool on the opener.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Thanks Hoss!

I was in the unit last year with a friend on the early rifle hunt and I totally agree with what you said. The only change this year is that the season starts a week later which will hopefully diminish the ATV crowd around Labor Day. And yes, the sheep were an issue.

Thank You for the tips!

LAST EDITED ON May-09-16 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]I don't mind the sheep it's those dang Great Pyrenees that are with them that don't like anything sneaking around their flock. I've been chased by more than one of those suckers predawn.

It was odd, but had a herd right in the sheep at first light one year. As I was sneaking in all of a sudden three ticked dogs are charging me, hell bent to take me out! Long story short, no elk that morning.

You should be drawing with 16 points. Mine hasn't been hit yet either. With 15 points I figured I'd be in for some max tags with 20 something others. You not getting charges means there's still a chance, but I'm not counting on it or getting my hopes up. Good luck and post when you get charged.

My credit card balance just went up by $800. Utah NR elk tags are $800. I haven't bought anything on my credit card in a while. I sure hope I got my tag.

Posted this earlier, but it doesn't show. Sorry if it is a repeat.

My credit card balance went up by $800. I can't see where the charge came from yet. Utah NR elk tags are $800. I haven't bought anything with my credit card lately. I sure hope it's a UTAH ELK TAG!!!

Finally!!! After 17 years of applications I finally drew a Utah Elk tag! My credit card just now showed Utah Permit!!!! Wahooooo!!!

Congrats. I drew an archery tag for manti so if anyone else who drew manti wants to share info back and forth let me know.

Congrats! Manti is an incredible unit. Have hunted there many many times. Great place to start is Diamond Mtn. Go south in Joe's Valley and east out of the valley floor. A lot of big bulls have come off that mountain.

Thanks Shot,

I looked at my maps last Friday and just haven't had time to ask. I was thinking he might mean East mtn?

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom