Central Mountains Manti

AZGuy

Question; with the late start dates on the Muzzleloader LE tag (elk) Sept 27th-8th, how would you anticipate the bugling to be after Oct 1st?

They should still be going, but this year everything's starting earlier than normal. Usually the bulls shed velvet the week of the bow opener. This year most shed the first week of august. They're already rutting up, when you usually see it around the 1st-2nd week of september. Archery guys are finally going to have a chance at rutting bulls through the entire hunt.

They should still be going, but this year everything's starting earlier than normal. Usually the bulls shed velvet the week of the bow opener. This year most shed the first week of august. They're already rutting up, when you usually see it around the 1st-2nd week of september. Archery guys are finally going to have a chance at rutting bulls through the entire hunt.
Yep, this is exactly what I was referring to. Obviously on a traditional year it wouldn’t be a question. Has me nervous nervous!

Pics I have seen show elk shedding 12-15 of August. Seems normal. I heard zero bugles on a hike in the Wasatch yesterday. Any one else hearing bugles?? I would love for it to get going as last year was a weird year where I hunt. Never seemed to be that strong of a rut. Maybe I just missed those magical days.

Yep-we have pics of hard horned bulls right around Aug 12th give or take a couple days either way. Exactly the same as last year.

I wouldn’t be too nervous-the bulls will be vocal during the muzzy hunt.

I heard three weak sounding bugles Friday night and one half bugle Saturday morning. There was a spike and rag bull in the area. Nothing serious going on from what I observed. The cows were quite vocal. Hard to complain about hearing elk in August but I’m not getting my hopes up that it will be any different than any other year in the elk woods other than I have a good tag in my pocket. Good luck to everyone.

I Did Hear Some Bugles over the Weekend!

One Came out of a Truck Window!

And The Other Bugles I heard Was Seconds After a Side X Side Was Shut Off!

About 10 Bugles Mixed With Some HOOCHIE Mama's!

All Happened Within 2 Minutes!

Then The Side X Side Fired Back Up!

JUDAS!

I live in that unit and when it comes to elk in my unit, DBLung knows what he's talking about. Im going up tonight to see what we can see/hear and I'll let you know how it's looking if we get into/hear the elk.

I live in that unit and when it comes to elk in my unit, DBLung knows what he's talking about. Im going up tonight to see what we can see/hear and I'll let you know how it's looking if we get into/hear the elk.
Awesome, much appreciated!!!

I Did Hear Some Bugles over the Weekend!

One Came out of a Truck Window!

And The Other Bugles I heard Was Seconds After a Side X Side Was Shut Off!

About 10 Bugles Mixed With Some HOOCHIE Mama's!

All Happened Within 2 Minutes!

Then The Side X Side Fired Back Up!

JUDAS!
Ahhah

Saw a couple through the aspens from a couple miles away. Couldn't see them great so idk how much rutting was going on, if there was any at all. Got into them for a sec but we could only get cows to chirp back to us, didn't hear any bugles. Could've just been we weren't close enough to see/hear but ask DBLung he knows a lot about elk on the manti.

I hunted an area on Monday and Tuesday and no bugles but there were bulls in the area so it was not country void of elk with no bugles.

Last edited:
A bull put out about 10 bugles last night before dark across the canyon from my stand. Nothing crazy but a few are think about what is coming.

A bull put out about 10 bugles last night before dark across the canyon from my stand. Nothing crazy but a few are think about what is coming.
So you have a stand close to the Manti unit where you can hear elk? You right on a highway or something? Can't think of many areas along Hwy 6, 89, 10 or I-70 where there's decent hunting both sides of the road.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom