changes in mule deer draw system

need4x4

Has anyone seen some new proposal to make more D zones premium? Not sure that is the right discription, but wondered if anyone saw something on that?

Possibly a note in the recent Wesetern Outdoor News?

Thanks

correct but I heard they are going to do it to additional units, but cannot find anything on the net and I am not a western outdoors taker.

I think that has to do with any of the zones that sell out before the draw takes place. So if a zone sells out before the draw takes place the following year they will place that zone into the "premium status" and you will need to enter into the draw to get it or hope that there are left over tags after the draw takes place. That is what they did with D7 and D17 and D12 in the past. FYI

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but as far as I'm concerned California has no premium zones! The best zones in this state barely compare to the average zone in the other western states! Sure there are a few good bucks killed here and there but to me the hunting in California isn't worth the time or money!!! That being said, I will still be out there spending time with friends and family hoping to run across something while I tune in my eyes and get in shape for outta state hunting. But I have not heard anything yet about the d's. Hope the Dfg doesn't screw up another hunter with their great ideas!

When it got so that the tags for a zone are sold out before the draw is over, they had to make it fair for those who put in for the draw rather than bought over the counter ahead of time. Nothing new here and though i didn't care for the change when it affected my C zone home area hunts, i now think it's the only fair way to do it.

180SST, For a guy that doesn't want to sound like a whiner, you sure do whine alot. Yeah, hunting here could be way better but i'm still having a great time with my hunts and greatly look forward to them each and every year!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

If D6 goes into the draw this year I'm gonna be pissed. 10k effin tags with a 8% success ratio. I bet 75% of those tags go to the opening weekend beer drinkers (no offense PC). I have busted my azz in this zone for over 20 years and have just recently been getting good at it....now I'm gonna have to burn my points on a zone that kills 80% forked horns...Bullchit.

If d-6 gos to a draw I bet not many people will put it down as there first choice,but there be lots for the second choice draw.

Hardway, I grew up hunting D6, got a buck every year the last 5-6 years too. The success back then was between 10-12%. BUT if you hunted all 4 weekends of archery and all 5 weekends of rifle, you'd kill a buck. Actually took 2 4X4s in that time.

I bet that country has changed a bunch now.

>Hardway, I grew up hunting D6,
>got a buck every year
>the last 5-6 years too.
> The success back then
>was between 10-12%. BUT
>if you hunted all 4
>weekends of archery and all
>5 weekends of rifle, you'd
>kill a buck. Actually
>took 2 4X4s in that
>time.
>
>I bet that country has changed
>a bunch now.

There are better zones... no question. But I think the reason its so popular is because of its easy access to the Bay Area and the Valley. Its my home unit, I can be in the woods in less than 2 hrs. During the season I can leave work on Fri, hunt all day Sat/Sun and be home Sun night. The thought of having to drive farther and hunt a different zone would seriously cut down the amount of time I spend in the hills. I would rather see a reduction in tags or antler restrictions than just re nameing it a "premium zone". If you want my points, make it something worth spending them on. F-ing retards at F&G have no clue about the status of our deer heards let alone how to manage them.

Hardway, as mentioned above, just put D-6 as your second choice on your application. You'll more than likely still get a point and draw your D-6 tag as long as you don't draw out on your G-3 first choice, or whatever. Second choice draw tags don't take away your accumulated points.

Very few will burn any or many points to draw D-6 so there will be tons of tags for second and third choice picks.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom