Chappell or A3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heywouldya

Very Active Member
I drew a late season elk tag in Arizona, unit 23. Does anyone have experience with either outfit? Thanks in advance.

hwy

Chappell is an awesome guy but I am not sure if Chappell does unit 23. He might. A3 is too big in my opinion and driven by likes and fame/attention. No doubt they kill big stuff, but they are not for me. If they are your style, I won't fault you for that, but if it was me I would give Daniel Franco out of Heber, AZ a call with Burnt Timber Outfitters. I know him well and you won't regret it. He is a great guy and knows how to hunt elk with the very best. I've known him about 20 years and can promise he's great. He lives about 100 yards from my inlaws. I don't live there anymore but a good friend of mine had this same hunt 2 years ago and had a blast hunting with them. He had nothing to but great things to say about Daniel. Chipc here on the forums can also speak to Daniel as he killed a great deer with Burnt Timber a couple years ago. You might shoot him a private message.

Yes indeed, Daniel Franco and Burnt Timber are great. Small "family" type operation with a ton of experience in 23. Hard working, excellent hunters and fun guys to hunt with. 100 % professional. Their results speak for themselves. I'd recommend them to anyone. PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck ! Chip

I hunted with Chappell. He is an outstanding guide and a great person. I Highly recommend him and his guide service.

Don't have first hand personal hunting experience with either, but I really like the personality and approach of Daniel Franco as has been mentioned already, or Kevin Call/John Adams with High Point Outfitters. Both outfits seem like really good down to earth guys that are hard core and get it done. I am not sure how much HPO guides in unit 23 but worth looking into I think.

Hunted with A3 last year. First time on a guided hunt in the US. Top flight, exceeded my expectations, would highly recommend. And as a bonus I killed a great bull?

What unit did you hunt in with A3 Willy?

-to the OP,
The guide for A3 that runs the 23 camps knows that unit as good or better than anyone alive. With that said I’d most likely hunt with Daniel or chappel if hiring a guide.

Chappell is just such an all around great guy and nice to hang out with, I’d go with him. He’d add to the great experience, besides being an excellent elk guide. I’ve spoken with him in person, and he’s exactly the same as seen in his videos. Not sure if he’s in 23, though.

chappell has it rated very high for the late season and said one of the best units for that hunt. When I draw my elk tag that is who I will pick for sure.

A friend hunted Unit 9 with Steve and had a fantastic time and hunt. Ended up with a 385" bull. He said he was great.

I don’t think there is a better outfitter for the 23 units than AZ Ground pounders. Those guy kill bigger bulls than anyone in that unit.

Thank you all for the input. Ground Pounders really sounded great, but are booked already. I've talked to several other guides for that hunt that sound solid as well. I'll keep you guys posted in December when the smoke clears. Thanks again!!

hwy

For 23 you’d be crazy to NOT call A3. They are hands down the best outfitter for that unit. They run more cams than anyone on the unit and they know where the big boys are. Don’t wast your time with anyone else.

I hunted with Chappell on an early rifle hunt in unit 23, took a 350 bull. My son hunted unit 10 early Archery with Chappell, he took a 340 bull and I went as well to observe. Both hunts were great! email me if you want more details. I highly reccomend Steve and his outfit.

watch his elk camp tv programs and you can see how dedicated he his and his skills

Do your research on activities that have taken place in that unit with some of the bigger guys. I’d call BTO or go solo and save the 6k I guide fees.

I have hunted with A3 on a deer hunt and they were absolutely amazing. If you look at the amount of GIANT bulls that they killed in 2019 it’s truly unbelievable. I am not sure but I would think that it’s almost impossible for any other guide service to produce what they did in 2019. They guide on 23 and have taken some giant bulls from that unit. Look on their website and FB page to see some of 2019’s results. I have 16 points after this years unsuccessful application but when I draw my elk tag they will be my first call.

When they continue to employ a guide that plead guilty to hunting a client on the Reservation, I wouldn't hunt with them for free.

Well... I wouldn't hunt with any guide for free. To me it defeats the whole purpose of hunting. It reminds me of watching my home state boy Cam Haynes sell out and buy elk tags just so he can get some IG pics of the good bulls he bought. Hunting is about hunting, not the pic of the biggest bull you can buy. If you want to be a "hunter" draw a tag and go out and hunt! If you want to be an IG star pay some douche to put you on a big bull and buy the best camera you can find.

Well... I wouldn't hunt with any guide for free. To me it defeats the whole purpose of hunting. It reminds me of watching my home state boy Cam Haynes sell out and buy elk tags just so he can get some IG pics of the good bulls he bought. Hunting is about hunting, not the pic of the biggest bull you can buy. If you want to be a "hunter" draw a tag and go out and hunt! If you want to be an IG star pay some douche to put you on a big bull and buy the best camera you can find.

So, its come to all guides are "douche's"? And if I hunt with one, I'm not a "hunter"? This thread has taken and interesting turn.

I'd like to thank those that gave me their honest, personally experienced, suggestions. I've talked to some great people while researching who to go with.
Thanks again, and good luck this fall.

hwy

Negative posts without some background information doesn't really help guys looking to make a choice on outfitters. There are many reasons for not liking an outfitter, but for us NR hunters, we are mainly interested in the negatives or positives of the operation, and less so about the locals versus the ranchers/outfitters issues.

I understand about posting specifics and lawsuits etc, but it would help to get honest reviews of actual experiences.

Maybe he buys the tags so he can just go hunt. Be jealous over someone who has the means to buy tags is just stupid. The system has them out there and people buy them. as for guys who use guides there is normal a reason and not because everyone wants to but time always plays a factor. You just sound like a jack off with your comments about other hunters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom