Chevy Colorado zr2

Wyo_Roadhunter

I'm really starting to think about replacing my 02 tacoma with a Colorado zr2. The front and rear lockers and extra power are the main reasons. Whose had one and what did you like/what did you hate? Do you wish you would have got the diesel or the gas and why? Thanks!

"Do you wish you would have got the diesel or the gas and why?"
Geez Remi, have you seen the price of diesel these days???
I love my diesel for pulling and that's it! Too heavy for most everything else...off roading, etc. Just sayin.

"Do you wish you would have got the diesel or the gas and why?"
Geez Remi, have you seen the price of diesel these days???
I love my diesel for pulling and that's it! Too heavy for most everything else...off roading, etc. Just sayin.
Either way I'm going to spend a ton whether it's diesel or gas ?. The reason I thought about the diesel it gets mid 20's mpg vs the gas that gets 16. These are little baby diesels shouldn't weigh it down to much ?

My wife has one. It will go to my oldest son when he moves on to college. She likes it. It is fantastic on SW Wyo highways and Interstates in the winter. Much better than my full sized Ram. Its small inside but no more so than a Tacoma. Better fit and finish than a Tacoma. We looked at those as well before we bought this one used.

We don't do any real aggressive off-roading other than travelling two-tracks during hunting season. No complaints so far. Might even buy another one when we kick the boy out of the house.

I was hesitant, but the ZR2 has really grown on me. To Z Fury, Get the engine you enjoy driving the most. My MPG on the gasser is better than EPA estimate. It would take a long time for gas savings to pay the cost of the diesel option.

I have a ZR2 Bison- I really love it. I purchased it over a Toyota mostly due to familiarity with GM products. Mine is gas, has copious power, crawls over anything (at least anything I am willing to), handles well, and I've had zero issues in 2 years.

I did the same thing your looking at doing. I traded my 2013 Tacoma for a 2018 Colorado. i am way happy that I did.i get better gas mileage, way more power, the ride is also better than my taco, and the lockers make all the difference. I haven’t had any mechanical issues with it at all ,except I blew out the rear shocks ad had to get new ones. And damn they are expensive. I need to slow down on them two trackers.But on my taco I blew out my rear shocks busted my rear leaf springs, had to replace my front end twice, pocked a hole in my radiator which caused the engine to get hot and I burned it up too. I guess you can say I’m hard on my huntin rigs, but that’s why I bought them. I’m not going to ***** foot them down the road.
1673444133417.jpeg

I did the same thing your looking at doing. I traded my 2013 Tacoma for a 2018 Colorado. i am way happy that I did.i get better gas mileage, way more power, the ride is also better than my taco, and the lockers make all the difference. I haven’t had any mechanical issues with it at all ,except I blew out the rear shocks ad had to get new ones. And damn they are expensive. I need to slow down on them two trackers.But on my taco I blew out my rear shocks busted my rear leaf springs, had to replace my front end twice, pocked a hole in my radiator which caused the engine to get hot and I burned it up too. I guess you can say I’m hard on my huntin rigs, but that’s why I bought them. I’m not going to ***** foot them down the road.View attachment 99686
Sounds like you and I probably use our hunting trucks the same way haha. I have my 02 tacoma and I am constantly working on it but I also drive it like its a side by side. Really I cant believe it hasn't just broke in half :ROFLMAO:. I also have a 2018 tacoma that I like but I kind of want to keep it nice and it only has 20k miles so I want to keep that one reliable and always drivable. Also I wont lie heated seats, heated steering wheel, and remote start all sound pretty nice compared to the 02 haha.

I drive an older Colorado everyday for work in the logging woods. Not sure the year? Seen more dirt than pavement. It's beat to chit, but still works.

I drive an older Colorado everyday for work in the logging woods. Not sure the year? Seen more dirt than pavement. It's beat to chit, but still works.
I had 2007 colorado LT with 400.000 on it never had any issues
I drove that poor little truck like It wasn’t mine guiding for bear hunting in some pretty rough country
64C8581C-E83F-4F60-9A60-91FD1DBA6ADC.jpeg

I’ve been eying these as well. always have har jeeps or Toyotas for my smaller rigs. But it seems like Chevy and ford have really stepped up their small truck game.

WYO, I have a 14 Taco now that has been abused on a regular basis. I am pretty hard on stuff and the Nevada terrain is hard on stuff as well. I have not had any problems. Got about 95k on it. Only get 15 or 16 mpg. I did put some icons on for the ride.
Mine came stock with a rear locker that works pretty good.
I have thought about the diesel Colorado because sometimes we do a lot of miles on Hunting trips to and from.
I am concerned about reliability being in remote areas.
I have heard about the sensor/electrical issues and also heard about rear ends going out.
I think I am going to see how long my Taco will go.
It sounds like your 02 has done it for you for a long time.
My big concern would be will a Colorado last a long as your 02 Taco.
Please let us know how it works for you if you get one.

I really like the looks of the Chevy Colorado. I decided to go with the 2023 Tacoma which I have had for 3 weeks. So far, I am getting about 20-21 mpg. The suspension is stiff and the highway ride is not great, but not too bad. However, I went with the TRD off-road package so I guess that's understandable.
My friend has a newer Colorado (21-22?), which I like and actually has a bit more legroom.
One other thing that I do not like about Tacoma is the rear seat headroom. They need to increase that by a few inches, in my opinion.
It probably sounds like I do not like Tacoma, but I actually do. I bought it mainly for reliability and how well they hold their value.
I have already put 1200 miles on it, I guess we will see if my opinion changes over the next year....

WYO, I have a 14 Taco now that has been abused on a regular basis. I am pretty hard on stuff and the Nevada terrain is hard on stuff as well. I have not had any problems. Got about 95k on it. Only get 15 or 16 mpg. I did put some icons on for the ride.
Mine came stock with a rear locker that works pretty good.
I have thought about the diesel Colorado because sometimes we do a lot of miles on Hunting trips to and from.
I am concerned about reliability being in remote areas.
I have heard about the sensor/electrical issues and also heard about rear ends going out.
I think I am going to see how long my Taco will go.
It sounds like your 02 has done it for you for a long time.
My big concern would be will a Colorado last a long as your 02 Taco.
Please let us know how it works for you if you get one.
I also have a 2018 tacoma sitting in the garage haha. I really like it but it only has 20,000 miles and its that orange color so any scratch would show. I've kind of decided to keep it as my nice truck and it can be a backup hunting truck if the 02 or if I sell that and get the colorado breaks down.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom